Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Allegro Open Road Steps Issue

Just became a Tiffin Owner....2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road....having an issue with the steps not staying extended when door is closed....yes, switch is off.....assistance?
Lynnda Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
BTW.....need to come out of Thor owner club and onto Tiffin.....can't find where to do that.....more help?????
Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnda Butler View Post
Just became a Tiffin Owner....2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road....having an issue with the steps not staying extended when door is closed....yes, switch is off.....assistance?
Steps operate when switch is on. Stays in place when switch is off.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
BTW.....need to come out of Thor owner club and onto Tiffin.....can't find where to do that.....more help?????
User CP
iRV2 Groups

Remove yourself from one & add the other

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
:waves:

Welcome to the Tiffin Family.

The steps will only stay out if the door is open if the motor is running or the ignition switch is on.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:40 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Tried having switch on....steps do not remain out while camping. They worked fine when we left dealer as it was an issue and got fixed. Seems to be intermittent. Will call Tiffin and ask about fuses
Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Tried having switch on....steps do not remain out while camping. They worked fine when we left dealer as it was an issue and got fixed. Seems to be intermittent. Will call Tiffin and ask about fuses
When the switch is on the steps should go in and out as the door is opened and closed.
When you park and the steps are out they should stay out when you turn the switch off.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There seems to be a lot of confusion over how the steps work. If you want the steps to open and close everytime you open and shut the door, you turn the steps switch ON. If you want the steps to stay extended when you are parked, you turn the step switch OFF.

Turning the ignition on will override the switch position and retract the steps regardless of whether it is on or off.

Larry beat me by a nanosecond...
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Turning the ignition on will override the switch position and retract the steps regardless of whether it is on or off.
The override does not happen on my 2006 Allegro Bay. This may be a feature in later models but I would not trust that it works. Always check the steps to be sure they are in before moving.

Thanks to the kindness of strangers I have not ripped my steps off yet. (Twice)
Old 02-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Normal operation is as follows:
Step switch on, ignition switch off: Open the door and the steps come out. Close the door and the steps come in.
Step switch off, ignition switch off: Open the door and the steps come out. Close the door and the steps stay out. I had a 2004 National Seabreeze that I had to be careful with because if the step switch was turned off and the door was closed, the steps would NOT come out when the door was opened. This was considered normal wiring then!
Ignition over-ride, Steps should come in when the ignition switch is turned on IF the door is closed. Should stay open if the door is open UNTIL the door is closed.
All this depends upon a switch or two in the door frame. It (they) may be mechanical or magnetic. Both versions can get out of adjustment or break and need replacement. Also, I have heard that if you had one brand of steps (Lippert - Coach Step for example) and they were replaced with another brand (Kwikee, for example) a switch needs to be replaced (from normally open to normally closed or opposite) in order for everything to work right.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
To all.....steps are not staying out no way.....no how.....nada....read all the above and playing with fuses now.....possible switch issue???? Can we change it? Called Tiffin....they even walked me through it all while on the phone and heard steps come in. As the nice gentleman said in service.... "That ain't riiight". Love the Alabama twang.....
Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #12

you may have a actuater problem - electrical unit that tells the steps to open and close. i'm not a mechanic, so i can't tell you how to check it. Dave
Old 02-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ck'd fuses with a meter.....when switch was off it registered 12.7. When switch was on the meter was jumping numbers all over the place. As my Tiffin service dude said, "that ain't riiiight". Trekking to dealer Fri....will let you know
Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are 3 major components to the step assembly, the motor, the controller, and the transmission. I had the same problem with my 34TGA. Called Quickee Step and they said transmission problem. $109.00 later for a new transmission, still had problem. Bought a new motor from Amazon for $59.00, problem solved. Autozone has them for an 84 Ford Taurus driver's side power window motor but you have to modify the plug. Good luck.