Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Allegro Red 340 Fresh/Grey/Black Tanks Largely Misrepresented by Tiffin?

I have a 2019 Allegro Red 340 on the PowerGlide chassis. I ran across another gentleman on YouTube that discovered the tanks on our model year, and I believe the 2020 also (but not sure) are much much smaller than advertised on the brochure and also as listed on the build sheet. I still have both.

The other owner reports that he verified the following sizes, and these were verified to be undersized by Tiffin in Red Bay Service Center. He indicated Bob Tiffin actually drove over to see this for himself. He was told the engineers were going to try to find a solution and get back to him, but now he is having a hard time reaching anyone. No one is returning his calls.

Here is what is reported on my build sheet:
Fresh = 90 gallons
Black = 50 gallons
Grey = 70 gallons

Here is what the other owner reported as actually being installed in these rigs
Fresh = 70 gallons
Black = 25 gallons
Grey = 35 gallons (he actually metered it as it filled - and Tiffin verified)

Has anyone on this forum heard of this issue, and if so, do you know if anything has been done about this? I am on vacation now in the RV and not a lot of time to do my own checking and calling yet, but rest assured, I will. It does seem I have had to empty the grey tank more often than having a 70 gallon tank would suggest.

Thanks for any info you have.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

The fresh water may be close because they include lines and water heater. Can't comment on the grey and black.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #3

I had measured the dimensions of my water tank awhile ago. As I recall, the size calculated out to be about 70 gallons. Haven’t measured the grey and black tanks. I can see that the grey tank is physically larger than the black tank.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
PKI

Interested in this issue.

Have a Breeze, not a RED 340. I do not know, but I do suspect that the tanks may measure/calculate out to be the correct size, but the way they are mounted is such that the grey and black can not properly/fully drain. So the metered fill would be less than specified.

If you lift the PS and drop the DS of the coach, the drain improves, but I still suspect it is not fully draining.

Still working on the issue with our coach. Used blocks to increase the tilt and got additional volume to drain.

This issue is known as when posted prior, the direction posted was to lift the passenger side and rotate the dump valve drain orientation.

There may be a real issue with tank volume, so I'll follow to see what gets posted. Pat

Edit - Thegats - do you have a link or title description for the you-tube video that addresses the undersized tanks?
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
What model and when did Tiffin start building a Red on a powerglide chassis?
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
PKI

It is a 340 RED. Believe the first year of that model was 2019. In 2021, the 340 RED is on a Freightliner Chassis.

The 340 Powerglide chassis does not have IFS. It has a solid axle front suspension like the RED. The advantage of the 340 is increased towing capacity and some nice standard features like a WD. The towing capacity went back to 5000lbs when the Freightliner chassis was adopted.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:25 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Have a Breeze, not a RED 340. I do not know, but I do suspect that the tanks may measure/calculate out to be the correct size, but the way they are mounted is such that the grey and black can not properly/fully drain. So the metered fill would be less than specified.

If you lift the PS and drop the DS of the coach, the drain improves, but I still suspect it is not fully draining.

Still working on the issue with our coach. Used blocks to increase the tilt and got additional volume to drain.

This issue is known as when posted prior, the direction posted was to lift the passenger side and rotate the dump valve drain orientation.

There may be a real issue with tank volume, so I'll follow to see what gets posted. Pat

Edit - Thegats - do you have a link or title description for the you-tube video that addresses the undersized tanks?
Thanks for your info. As for the YouTube video question, it isn’t a video on YouTube. I connected with the fellow owner on YouTube pertaining to routine maintenance and he asked if I am aware of this issue. Still need to verify mine has the same issue, but I suspect it does.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:22 AM   #8

Welcome to the RV World. Don't believe anything sales people tell you. Dave
Old 03-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Welcome to the RV World. Don't believe anything sales people tell you. Dave
I agree with you on many levels, but unfortunately the sales people told me what was in the brochure and build sheet. In this case, I'm assuming they only know what is listed by the manufacturer. Ordered my flowmeter but can't test until my next trip. No sewer hookups at my storage. Odds are my tanks are the same as the other owner of same coach found. But would be nice if I find they are as advertised.

Tags
allegro, black tank, tank, tiffin