Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Allegro sofa bed questions

Hi,
I'm a new irv2 member planning a gas class-a purchase in the near future. The allegro has been on my short-list from the beginning along with Bounder, Challenger, and Sightseer.

Besides quality, allegro has been on my list because I need to accommodate two adult guests comfortably. Loft/jack knife sofas don't seem like options for older adults for more than one night. Allegro has real pull-out sofabeds.

But, I had a chance to drive the 32SA which I liked but had to cross off my list because when the sofabed is out, it blocks the coach completely - both for guests on the wrong side of the bed needing to get to the bathroom and for us in the BR to get into the front of the coach.

So, I still have the 34PA and 31MA on my list. The 34PA seems like the extended sofabed would not be an issue but the 31MA is questionable - I've not had the chance to get inside either one.

Can someone with experience comment on this? First, is the allegro sofabed comfortable enough for multi-night sleeping? And does the bed block the coach in the 31MA?

I'm excited to make a decision and a purchase but am blocked by this issue. I like the other coaches in my list but they have even bigger guest sleeping issues even though they are cheaper than allegro. Thank you!
Trkr
USTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:06 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The sofa bed has an infatable mattress. You can choose the firmness. It only takes a minute or so to inflate We have had several guests sleep on ours in two different Tiffin coaches. It's very comfortable.

Steve

2016 Tiffin Red 37 PA
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The inflatable mattress is very comfy. I have used it myself. As far as blocking the walk through mine does and it is a pain but all I do is roll over the mattress to get from front to back. When stopped the inflatable blocks or traveling the main bed blocks. Important thing is can you get to the bathroom when traveling or when stopped.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:12 AM   #4

Over the summer, my sister in law stayed stayed with us in the coach a few days . Snce I'm the early riser, it was easier for me to take the sofa bed (L couch) and let them share the bedroom, since it does block front to back access when extended.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the air mattress is, probably better than than standard mattress on the bed (soon to be replaced); I'm 5-11 about 185#........

And don't buy a coach for (occasional) guests unless they are paying for it; buy what you want for how you will use the coach a vast majority of the time. Making temporary accommodations for guests is expected........ And you never want them to be too comfortable anyway!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
And don't buy a coach for (occasional) guests unless they are paying for it; buy what you want for how you will use the coach a vast majority of the time. Making temporary accommodations for guests is expected........ And you never want them to be too comfortable anyway!
This. So very much this.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback!

These all were very helpful. I take the point about focusing on the needs of the buyers - us, in this case, rather than occasional guests. I think I actually heard that from a sales guy when expressing the same concern.

I am still curious to find out if the 34PA eliminates the blocking issue - i.e. there is space at the foot of the pull-out sofabed to get around it. I'm thinking the opposing slides in the 34PA might accomplish this. Have not yet been in one - not many around here unfortunately.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by USTrekker View Post
These all were very helpful. I take the point about focusing on the needs of the buyers - us, in this case, rather than occasional guests. I think I actually heard that from a sales guy when expressing the same concern.

I am still curious to find out if the 34PA eliminates the blocking issue - i.e. there is space at the foot of the pull-out sofabed to get around it. I'm thinking the opposing slides in the 34PA might accomplish this. Have not yet been in one - not many around here unfortunately.
we have 34PA sofa bed. very comfortable. and we have space between the booth dinette and the foot of the sofa bed.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 AM   #8

Just toured a 2018 Open Road 36LA with the straight sofa. Was surprised when we pulled out the bed to check for the same issue the OP was worried about. Come to find out the bed is oriented sideways! It’s a Queen, but by rotating it that way it doesn’t extend to the fireplace on the opposite side like the bed in the L-shaped couch does. Guest sleeping on the inside might have to climb over the couch arm if they have to get up before their partner, but access to the front of the coach is not restricted with the straight couch. Easily a foot or more of walking space between bed and wall.
Guessing it works the same on the 34PA if the straight couch has four pillow sections as the 36LA does.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #9

Have a 34pa with the chairs and table option. We have plenty of room to walk by quietly and without disturbing anyone sleeping on the pull out sofa.
convictmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Just toured a 2018 Open Road 36LA with the straight sofa. Was surprised when we pulled out the bed to check for the same issue the OP was worried about. Come to find out the bed is oriented sideways! It’s a Queen, but by rotating it that way it doesn’t extend to the fireplace on the opposite side like the bed in the L-shaped couch does. Guest sleeping on the inside might have to climb over the couch arm if they have to get up before their partner, but access to the front of the coach is not restricted with the straight couch. Easily a foot or more of walking space between bed and wall.
Guessing it works the same on the 34PA if the straight couch has four pillow sections as the 36LA does.
Thanks for your feedback. This sounds like the 36LA has a jackknife sofa rather than a true pull-out sofa bed. I'd be interested to know how comfortable this is because I've heard they are not - and put coaches with jackknife sofabeds lower on my list because of it. Part of the reason the allegro has stayed on top of my list despite the price penalty.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:59 AM   #11

Allegro sofa bed questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by USTrekker View Post
Thanks for your feedback. This sounds like the 36LA has a jackknife sofa rather than a true pull-out sofa bed. I'd be interested to know how comfortable this is because I've heard they are not - and put coaches with jackknife sofabeds lower on my list because of it. Part of the reason the allegro has stayed on top of my list despite the price penalty.

Nope. Full bed, just oriented sideways.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Nope. Full bed, just oriented sideways.
WOW! I would love to trade in my L-couch in my 2015 36LA for one of these.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosado View Post
WOW! I would love to trade in my L-couch in my 2015 36LA for one of these.

We were very pleasantly surprised when we opened it up to see how it would fit.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was planning on replacing my delaminating L shaped sofa instead of recovering. This is another option of where to look for a replacement. Does anyone know the manufacturer of this wonder sofa? If flexsteel I may pass.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro