Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2022, 08:33 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We only had the large bathroom slide done on our bus. Vroom used the bus wiring harness and also the schwintek motors. Can’t tell you if they use their own harness for their motors.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 06:46 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I was just quoted $3500-$3700 per slide room for the Vroom upgrade. I have one slideout that bound up on one rack causing a little damage. I am going to try to re-sync the motors to see how it performs. I was also told that they do not recommend replacing with Schwintek parts. That they have done this and experienced repeat failures. The only recommendation was to go with a Vroom system but they are about three months out to get parts. If mine is still acting up after the sync, I might have to bite the bullet but at least I'll know I won't have any further issues with it.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:47 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	42
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	368680

My system also utilized the existing wiring and Lippert controllers. My system has Schwintek motors also. They installed brand new motors outfitted with their Vroom transition coupling to allow it to be bolted to the Vroom mechanism. As I understand it, the Schwintek motors and controllers really aren't the crux of the problem. Brian said he has his motors and controllers, but they found a slight issue with the controllers. They have been reprogrammed, but they are undergoing testing before being placed in service again.

I'll be the first to admit that I took the plunge and risk on Vroom in the still very early stages of the company. I've thought through so many scenarios where my decision can turn out to be a bad one. I decided to stay positive and assume 1) the system performs flawlessly for years 2) Vroom Slide Systems stays in business and doesn't either go belly up or sell to Lippert only to be canceled 3) as the company gets staffed up, there will actually be published documentation on the system. I have a system with no manuals or instructions written. 4) when the system fails me some day, there will be closer locations to take and get repaired

I need to clarify something. There are two nuts per shaft. The disengage process (large nut in pic) is a last resort and this assumes the motor and shaft need to be disconnected from the rest of the assembly. During my walk around, Brian indicated if we reach that point, it isn't as simple as simply turning the large nut (see pic) clockwise to reengage without a better understanding of what is going on. He said I will definitely need to call them when it needs to be reengaged. It seemed to me if it needs to be disengaged, there is a serious issue that would need to be addressed.

The way I understood it (and took notes on) was to first attempt a manual override using the controller. If that doesn't get them in, then use the smaller nut (see pic) and a ratchet and rotate both sides in sync to move the slide in (this keeps motors engaged). If that doesn't work, then disengage the motors by backing off the larger nut until the shaft disengages from the motor. Joey, Brian's tech said you'll feel/hear the shaft drop a little and it doesn't take many turns to disengage.

This is how I understood it. I'm hopeful that if/when I need to perform any of these, there will be published documentation available. As for price, I have heard the price increased from the $2500 per slide that I paid. Brian indicated to me that his supply/shipping costs have gone through the roof (like everything else). Don't quote me on this, but if I recall the numbers correctly, he said he recently had to pay $17,000 for shipping alone for the motors. I seem to recall he said it averaged to $90 per motor. I'm recalling this from an off the cuff conversation with him, so it may not be precise, but I recall it being a ridiculous amount.

thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
Attachment 368680

My system also utilized the existing wiring and Lippert controllers. My system has Schwintek motors also. They installed brand new motors outfitted with their Vroom transition coupling to allow it to be bolted to the Vroom mechanism. As I understand it, the Schwintek motors and controllers really aren't the crux of the problem. Brian said he has his motors and controllers, but they found a slight issue with the controllers. They have been reprogrammed, but they are undergoing testing before being placed in service again.

I'll be the first to admit that I took the plunge and risk on Vroom in the still very early stages of the company. I've thought through so many scenarios where my decision can turn out to be a bad one. I decided to stay positive and assume 1) the system performs flawlessly for years 2) Vroom Slide Systems stays in business and doesn't either go belly up or sell to Lippert only to be canceled 3) as the company gets staffed up, there will actually be published documentation on the system. I have a system with no manuals or instructions written. 4) when the system fails me some day, there will be closer locations to take and get repaired

I need to clarify something. There are two nuts per shaft. The disengage process (large nut in pic) is a last resort and this assumes the motor and shaft need to be disconnected from the rest of the assembly. During my walk around, Brian indicated if we reach that point, it isn't as simple as simply turning the large nut (see pic) clockwise to reengage without a better understanding of what is going on. He said I will definitely need to call them when it needs to be reengaged. It seemed to me if it needs to be disengaged, there is a serious issue that would need to be addressed.

The way I understood it (and took notes on) was to first attempt a manual override using the controller. If that doesn't get them in, then use the smaller nut (see pic) and a ratchet and rotate both sides in sync to move the slide in (this keeps motors engaged). If that doesn't work, then disengage the motors by backing off the larger nut until the shaft disengages from the motor. Joey, Brian's tech said you'll feel/hear the shaft drop a little and it doesn't take many turns to disengage.

This is how I understood it. I'm hopeful that if/when I need to perform any of these, there will be published documentation available. As for price, I have heard the price increased from the $2500 per slide that I paid. Brian indicated to me that his supply/shipping costs have gone through the roof (like everything else). Don't quote me on this, but if I recall the numbers correctly, he said he recently had to pay $17,000 for shipping alone for the motors. I seem to recall he said it averaged to $90 per motor. I'm recalling this from an off the cuff conversation with him, so it may not be precise, but I recall it being a ridiculous amount.
Thanks for the info but just to clarify what you said. I know they replace the upper & lower Gear track and blocks but did they replace your original Schwintek motors with new Schwintek Motors or something other? Where these the 300:1 or 500:1 motors? Was the original wiring left in place without removing it to make sure there was no chaffing or other possible issues or did they leave the original wire harness in place? Did they also replace your original controllers or leave them in place as well? Thanks just trying to understand what exactly are the options ad their website, IMHO, doesn't really explain it in that detail. BTW it's my concern, as well, the lack of documentation. If this company folds is doors for some odd reason customers cay thing. Thxs
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:45 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Thanks for the info but just to clarify what you said. I know they replace the upper & lower Gear track and blocks but did they replace your original Schwintek motors with new Schwintek Motors or something other? Where these the 300:1 or 500:1 motors? Was the original wiring left in place without removing it to make sure there was no chaffing or other possible issues or did they leave the original wire harness in place? Did they also replace your original controllers or leave them in place as well? Thanks just trying to understand what exactly are the options ad their website, IMHO, doesn't really explain it in that detail. BTW it's my concern, as well, the lack of documentation. If this company folds is doors for some odd reason customers cay thing. Thxs

They changed the motors out with new Schwintek motors. I'm not sure of the ratio. I believe they used my original wiring harness as I had no issues. I got the Vroom system to head off issues I knew were just a matter of time. However, I did see a post on the Tiffin RV Network at some point where they replaced someone's wiring due to issues. I imagine they will do the same for you since you have a history of issues. I kept my original Lippert controllers.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=thegats1;6219696]They changed the motors out with new Schwintek motors. I'm not sure of the ratio. I believe they used my original wiring harness as I had no issues. I got the Vroom system to head off issues I knew were just a matter of time. However, I did see a post on the Tiffin RV Network at some point where they replaced someone's wiring due to issues. I imagine they will do the same for you since you have a history of issues. I kept my original Lippert controllers.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info and I'll reach out to Tiffin to see if they can followup perhaps and fix this issue. I could head to Red Bay on my way back to Florida but unfortunately it would be predicated on what I hear from Tiffin can do about this ongoing issue. I know I need to be back in Florida for my wife's critical Drs. appts. at the beginning of Sept. so I'll see how things go. I'm going to try to see if I can take a look at the harness wiring and see if it's something that might be pinched or something perhaps I can fix but this constant issue isn't any fun. I'm looking to see if anyone has a wiring diagram on how these are wired. I have the LCI manual but I don't know if the harness from the motor goes to the front G6 board or down directly to the controller or split somewhere along the way to a terminal block I can check so if anyone out there has anything or knowledge I'd appreciate a shout back. I know last year I got into a bind for all the slides weren't working and the G6 retract button brought them all back in even the one I was having issues with and I think it was Brett at Tiffin who helped me troubleshoot the problem when that happened and it's been fine since then except for that one slide again. Thxs
Old 06-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #21

As stated in one of the other responses. Change to Vroom, but right now they are quoting April for appointments. At the moment they can only do one motorhome a day, however they are building a new facility that will allow them to do 4 a day. At the moment the price is $3500 a slide. The price is a little steep but you will never have a problem once they get done.
Rule 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:28 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I also had a issue on my passenger side slide on 2019 Tiffin 33AA. It had a broken weld on the corner of slide. The manufacturer had only tack welded the corner and it had broken. I am lucky Tiffin approved repair at a authorized repair shop, This issue was causing the slide to bind up.
Gregnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:19 PM   #23

On our 2019 37PA the lower bearing block that holds the gear against the track broke and it allowed the gear to jump the lower track when it was almost fully closed. That was the first issue we had with the slide. Had it repaired at Red Bay and they replaced the entire mechanism on that side and resynced everything. Cost if I remember was around 1600.00 including labor.
TNCRAIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:59 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2020 34PA. Bathroom slide on driver side broke 3 times. On the 3rd repair, 2nd trip to red bay, they reinforced the sides of the slide cutout with metal strips. That was about 9 months ago. Haven’t had a problem since. We all agree that the schwintecs are junk, or at the very least being used in application they weren’t built for. My guess is that the slide is too large and heavy for the schwintecs, and caused sides to flex. Which results in the gear to jump the track, and chew it up.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:24 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Slide issue

Sorry for jumping here but on my phone and could not figure out how to start a new thread. Myproblem got to rv park, leveled. Put out two rear slides, no issue. Put out passenger front slide, heard a bang. It's hydronic. Put out drivers slide heard a bang. It's gear packs electric driven. Question do you think it could have been my slide toppers? Recently had them replaced. Thank you and agin sorry for jumping in here with my issue and not helping. 2012 Phaeton 40QBH.
Fathermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:32 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathermo View Post
Sorry for jumping here but on my phone and could not figure out how to start a new thread. Myproblem got to rv park, leveled. Put out two rear slides, no issue. Put out passenger front slide, heard a bang. It's hydronic. Put out drivers slide heard a bang. It's gear packs electric driven. Question do you think it could have been my slide toppers? Recently had them replaced. Thank you and agin sorry for jumping in here with my issue and not helping. 2012 Phaeton 40QBH.
Just trying to clarify what you're saying. The Driver's side slide is electric like a Schwintek and the passenger side is hydraulic? If hydraulic then I'd check fluid level. When did you notice this bang, as you were deploying them or as they came to a stop? Did you notice whether they were going out smoothly or did they seem to be slow or struggling? I can't see how the toppers would make that noise unless they were not adjusted right and pulled it off the motor as it deployed. Can you access the top of the slide to see if they seem overly tight or damaged? Sorry for the questions trying to eliminate possibilities.
Thxs
Old 07-01-2022, 07:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathermo View Post
Last month, outta nowhere my slide topper somehow blocked my slide from extending. The slide actually tore the bolts attaching the topper out. Easy to see, have someone extend the slide while you watch it.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:37 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ty, I will check it out. I am at a spot for 3 months hope it didn't break something when I go to leave.
Fathermo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide