Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 184
Another Schwintek slide issue

I have a new to me 2019 34pa. The bedroom/bathroom slide has been an issue since I bought it. I actually had the motor replaced recently.

My new problem is that when the slide gets almost fully retracted, it make a really loud thumping noice. And I mean really loud! It sounds like itís hitting something. So, Iím not able to hold the button down until the end of the sequence like youíre supposed to so.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a guess at what might be causing this? We leave on a two month trip in the morning so I donít have time to have a tech look at it.

Thanks, Steve
__________________
2019 Tiffin Open Road 34pa
2018 Jeep Wrangler toad.
Mogulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
zombiewoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Planet X
Posts: 116
The load thumping noise is probably the motor gear chewing up the gear track. Your slide is binding to the point where the gear is jumping on the gear rack. Youíll be able to see the teeth that are getting chewed up. Quick and dirty is to lube the slide block and the mating slide surface on the gear track. Use a PTFE (Teflon) lubricant (recommended by Schwintek), or if you canít find it use silicone based lubricant (recommended by me cause it helped mine). Long term you should get in the very long line for a VROOM replacement.
__________________
2021 Allegro Bus 37AP
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 22,081
Blog Entries: 21
Look at replacing the system with a VRoom slide system.
https://vroomslidesystems.com/

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 2,864
Have you also tried to resync the slide?
__________________
2018 Allegro Bus 37AP
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH (sold)
2022 Jeep JLURD
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
2cyber71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Have you also tried to resync the slide?
Thatís the answer.
They get out of sync easy
__________________
2020 Winnebago Horizon 42Q
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
99 Storm 30H, 04 Southwind 32 VS, 07 Ellipse 40FD
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:42 PM   #6
Member
 
Gocats's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 87
We have the very same problem. Same slide, same issue. Was diagnosed by Tiffin (on the phone) as a need to have the "H" column replaced. Rumored to be a $1400 job.
We are in the long waiting list to replace Schwintek with Vroom.
__________________
Jim & Caren
2020 Open Road 34PA
2019 Nissan Frontier Toad
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocats View Post
We have the very same problem. Same slide, same issue. Was diagnosed by Tiffin (on the phone) as a need to have the "H" column replaced. Rumored to be a $1400 job.
We are in the long waiting list to replace Schwintek with Vroom.
Itís more than that, the H column alone is around $1500 plus labor. Ours went out on the large rear bedroom/ bathroom slide on a trip in 2019. It was $2500 to repair that I had to pay before the dealer would release our MH. It was reimbursed shortly after.
I replaced that side with a Vroom, no problems since.
The H column comes in one piece and has to be shipped by truck. We were stuck in Utah for over a week
__________________
2018 Allegro Bus 37AP
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH (sold)
2022 Jeep JLURD
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:48 AM   #8
Senior Member


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 412
Had all 3 of my Schwintek slides (systems) replaced with Vroom at the end of May. They seem to be much beefier (is that a word?). My only hope with Vroom is they continue to expand with qualified service centers (techs) across the country. There aren't too many trained on these from what I understand. I'll continue to enjoy having them perform for me, but like anything else, they too will fail at some point (like most systems like this, the motor is the most likely). The motors are covered with a 1 year warranty while the mechanism is 10 years. Brian confirmed with me that if on a long trip and if after all troubleshooting (manual override controller, verify motors plugged in etc...), the motor disengage process (they walk you through it) can be done and the slide can be "easily" manually pushed in and out so you can continue the trip and still use the slide. This is better than having to get help from others moving the slide in and not getting to use it again during the trip until fixed. Of course it needs to be locked in place when retracted and driving. They suggested I get a couple of adjustable cargo bars from Harbor Freight and keep them onboard to lock them.
__________________
Tommy & Franci - Houston (Clear Lake), TX
2019 Allegro Red 340 33AL
2020 Jeep GC Limited-Blue Ox Avail-M&G Braking
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
SamKVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulite View Post
I have a new to me 2019 34pa. The bedroom/bathroom slide has been an issue since I bought it. I actually had the motor replaced recently.

My new problem is that when the slide gets almost fully retracted, it make a really loud thumping noice. And I mean really loud! It sounds like itís hitting something. So, Iím not able to hold the button down until the end of the sequence like youíre supposed to so.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a guess at what might be causing this? We leave on a two month trip in the morning so I donít have time to have a tech look at it.

Thanks, Steve
As many others have noticed, these slides get out of synch easily. Attached is the synch procedure from LCI. If your slide is already FULLY retracted and you synch from that position, you will need to reverse the procedure as stated. It's not hard at all but read the procedure carefully so you don't stumble through the process; maybe even re-type it in reverse if you are doing it while slide is fully retracted. Zombiewoof's recommendation to lube the slides should be done on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!
Sam
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Synchronizing Schwintek Slides.pdf (900.9 KB, 33 views)
__________________
2021 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH
2016 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport TOAD - Air Force One
SamKVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #10
Member
 
LDK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
Had all 3 of my Schwintek slides (systems) replaced with Vroom at the end of May. They seem to be much beefier (is that a word?). My only hope with Vroom is they continue to expand with qualified service centers (techs) across the country. There aren't too many trained on these from what I understand. I'll continue to enjoy having them perform for me, but like anything else, they too will fail at some point (like most systems like this, the motor is the most likely). The motors are covered with a 1 year warranty while the mechanism is 10 years. Brian confirmed with me that if on a long trip and if after all troubleshooting (manual override controller, verify motors plugged in etc...), the motor disengage process (they walk you through it) can be done and the slide can be "easily" manually pushed in and out so you can continue the trip and still use the slide. This is better than having to get help from others moving the slide in and not getting to use it again during the trip until fixed. Of course it needs to be locked in place when retracted and driving. They suggested I get a couple of adjustable cargo bars from Harbor Freight and keep them onboard to lock them.
Hello. Seeking clarification related to what happens after the screw is removed to disengage the motor. Are you saying after you manually retract the slide that we can't reinsert the screw to re-engage the motor, thus locking the slide in? I have a July 26th install date. Thank you.
LDK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK1 View Post
Hello. Seeking clarification related to what happens after the screw is removed to disengage the motor. Are you saying after you manually retract the slide that we can't reinsert the screw to re-engage the motor, thus locking the slide in? I have a July 26th install date. Thank you.
The motor is not disengaged but the driveshaft is by a nut on the bottom of the slide. Once in, you’ll have to use something like thegats1 described.
Very simple procedure that they’ll show you during the install.
__________________
2018 Allegro Bus 37AP
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH (sold)
2022 Jeep JLURD
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:17 PM   #12
Member
 
LDK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Denver
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
The motor is not disengaged but the driveshaft is by a nut on the bottom of the slide. Once in, youíll have to use something like thegats1 described.
Very simple procedure that theyíll show you during the install.
Thank you. It appears your saying after removing the nut to disengage the driveshaft, we will be unable to reinsert the nut to re-engage the drive shaft? That we will have to return to Tucson to fix the system?
LDK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:53 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK1 View Post
Thank you. It appears your saying after removing the nut to disengage the driveshaft, we will be unable to reinsert the nut to re-engage the drive shaft? That we will have to return to Tucson to fix the system?
Not quite, the nuts loosens up and drops the drive shaft down thus disengaging the drive motor. You don’t remove the locking nut, just loosen it. It can be retightened to engage the driveshaft. I’ll see if I have a picture of it.
https://vroomslidesystems.com/vroom-slide-system/
__________________
2018 Allegro Bus 37AP
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH (sold)
2022 Jeep JLURD
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
dmctlc's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Port Charlotte (South Gulf Cove), Florida
Posts: 723
I've had nothing but problems with my bathroom/bedroom Slide since I bought my current 2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH last February. Been back at least 3xs since then when the front motor will stop as I'm pulling the slide in. Usually I can push it in the rest of the way but October it failed completely. First time replaced the controller, 2x the motor & 3rd time (complete failure) in Pigeon Forge TN. No mobile tech a/v for 2 weeks, Tiffin's Brett and then Schwintek couldn't help after hrs. on the phone. Ended up popping the screw and lifting the motor. Pushing it in and securing it with 2x4s cut with a saw I had to buy from a local HD store. Got the rest of the trip in though the slide didn't come out until the dealers in Nov.. After several weeks in there and lots of info I supplied along with input from Tiffin and Schwintek to the dealer they claimed it was fixed. I had my doubts b/c conclusion was it was a pinched wire. I argued that it could not have caused this problem they need to pull it and replace the harness and look deeper in it. Well took several small trips with it no issues. At home brought it in and out a dozen times no issues. Head up to NE for the summer third stop same issue as before. Got to be something with the wiring and rough roads. Thinking of VROOM and sent a request for a call to discuss the system last week no call yet. If nothing by next Monday I'll call them. Couple of questions I have was in reading what they do I can't tell if they replace the wiring harness if you option to go with their motors and the entire upgrade! Do they check the entire system out for opens/shorts, etc. to assure there isn't hidden issues. I wouldn't be happy investing in this system only to take the long trip back to Florida to have the same issues with the old system and this time no place to get them repaired. One last question how much does it cost to replace one and/or both slides with the VROOM system. I hear upwards to $10K! We like our Tiffin but it's frustrating to deal with this slide issue constantly. I have no issues spending it if this problem is behind us.
Thxs
__________________
Dana & Terri along w/ Shadow our 6 y/o Cocker Spaniel
2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH
Our Toad: '17 Lincoln MKX
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schwintek in wall slide issue rick5963 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 07-16-2018 10:45 PM
Schwintek slide issue Hopeful1 Class C Motorhome Discussions 11 06-29-2018 11:41 AM
Schwintek In-Wall Slide Issue SC RV'er Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 08-22-2017 01:53 PM
Another Schwintek slide question threadbear Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 06-19-2016 03:46 PM
Another Schwintek slide failure Jim Bob Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 26 10-31-2015 06:29 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.