Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Any precautions on 99 Allegro bus ?

Found a used 99 Allegro bus 37 ft RV that fits all my needs , it is a diesel pusher with all the goodies on a freightliner frame.

Anything I should pay particular attention too ??
It has low miles and new tires. Going to look at it tomorrow

Thanks
BobHud
BobHud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You might find a few more older coach owners over at tiffinrvnetwork.com to answer your questions. However, with any used coach purchase you will want to look things over very carefully for signs of leaks, drips, cracks in the fiberglass, paint problems, and so on. Also, the owner should have a complete records of engine maintenance and coach maintenance. You will want to make sure that the engine and transmission has been serviced regularly as repairs to the chassis components can be quite expensive.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

My wife and I purchased a 1998 Allegro Bus 39 in April. We put on over 10,000 miles this year, including driving back to Minnesota from Utah where we purchased it. Lost a thermostat coming thru Montana this summer. Had some wiring issues due to after market work done by pervious owners I would recommend buying a bunch of 20 amp automotive fuses, I ended up replacing all of them due to age. We are excited to get it out every time. We still need to replace the water heater in the spring. Upgraded the interior lighting. The only thing "wrong" is really just cosmetic. It is almost 20 years old. We love it. Any other questions feel free to get a hold of me.
Aaron1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a 2003 6 years ago. Having a mechanic give it a once over is a good idea. We didn't do that, but for the most part got lucky. My big concern would be the age of the tires and the gaskets and hoses for the engine and the roof. If the rig sat for months on end, the gaskets or hoses may have dried out and start to fail on the engine. All in all though, we have not had any significant problems over the years. (Knock on wood). We think Tiffin makes a great product... Happy trails!
luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdoggiez View Post
We bought a 2003 6 years ago. Having a mechanic give it a once over is a good idea. We didn't do that, but for the most part got lucky. My big concern would be the age of the tires and the gaskets and hoses for the engine and the roof. If the rig sat for months on end, the gaskets or hoses may have dried out and start to fail on the engine. All in all though, we have not had any significant problems over the years. (Knock on wood). We think Tiffin makes a great product... Happy trails!
owned a 2002 allegro bus, buddy had a 2005 bus and we now have a 2008 bus
the quality of the over all bus construction is poor to best describe it
micky mouse welding,micky mouse construction
overall;; does the job but really if you really look inside the guts and underneath and how its constructed its pretty pathetic
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #6

Thank you very much for the information....

Appreciate it,
BobHud
BobHud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Select 55 may have had a lemon or something. I am going through a 2000 Allegro Bus and am quite pleased with the unit construction. The freightliner Chassis with a Cat 300 is state of the art for 2000. I agree that it would be wise to have the maintenance records but if you don't then you should do a complete update Engine oil, filters oil and fuel, transmission filter and fluid change complete grease job. The chassis looks to be robot welded and if not done by some damn good welders. I saw nothing mickey mouse about the chassis. I am good with the construction done by Tiffin. Tanks well mounted but maybe not a accessible as I would like but done well. Plumbing and wiring is excellent a little different so it is good to have a wiring diagram 12 v and 120 v. Available from Tiffin. The Allison 3060MD is a good unit. Obvisouly Tires are a concern and should be taken into consideration. The interior is well made with solid maple and high end hardware. The slide is motor driven gear and can be manually operated if needed. So I am happy with our unit drives good is good on fuel and I pull a 24 ' cargo trailer with our toys inside.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote