Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 31
Anyone install solar on 32SA?

I am planning on adding 2 solar panels to our 2015 32SA. I am not sure where or how to get the wires from the roof to storage compartment areas. I have been googling it to see where others have ran the wires but I am not finding anything. I think due to algorithms, I keep coming up with the same search results (no matter how I reword it). I cannot believe I am the first person to install solar on a 32SA, or other Open Road??

I've heard run them down the refrigerator vent (we have residential fridge) and run down inside the gray tank vent line.

I would rather not reinvent the wheel if I don't have too.

Has anyone done this themselves? Know anyone who did it? Or links to info?

Thank you!
PD Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 287
I have a 2016 32SA. I had the dealer where I bought it run the wires and install the solar controller. I then had a friend install the three 200 watt panels. The dealer put in the wire junction box at the drivers side of the rear cap. No hole in the roof, just the rear cap. Solar controller is mounted on the aft wall of the farthest aft storage bay on the drivers side. I have four 6 volt batteries under the entry steps.

600 watts isn't enough with a residential fridge. I will probably add a 4th panel at some point to get 800 watts. Mine are wired in series to keep amps low and voltage high. I get 60 volts and 20 amps into the controller. I also have a shunt mounted at the batteries that is bluetoothed to my phone, it talks to the controller. They are both Victron units.
__________________
2016 Tiffin 32SA
Newps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD Monkey View Post
I am planning on adding 2 solar panels to our 2015 32SA. I am not sure where or how to get the wires from the roof to storage compartment areas. I have been googling it to see where others have ran the wires but I am not finding anything. I think due to algorithms, I keep coming up with the same search results (no matter how I reword it). I cannot believe I am the first person to install solar on a 32SA, or other Open Road??

I've heard run them down the refrigerator vent (we have residential fridge) and run down inside the gray tank vent line.

I would rather not reinvent the wheel if I don't have too.

Has anyone done this themselves? Know anyone who did it? Or links to info?

Thank you!
I have the same coach, here is how I have the solar wired.

Down between the refrigerator and the wall that the thermostat is mounted on. From the refrigerator access panel the wires go down and a bit forward. If you remove the bottom drawers and access panel bellow the sink you can route the cables with lots of other cables and ducts down there to the wall at the left of the steps. Next snake the cables down to the bay just to the left of the door.. I put my wires in plastic wire looms. The solar controller is mounted on the bulk head in the bay behind the steps which is nice and close to the batteries. Getting wires into and out of the space bellow the cabinets is the hardest part.

Hope this helps.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newps View Post

Mine are wired in series to keep amps low and voltage high.
The problem with having them in series is the most shaded panel will reduce the output current. Say 1 panel is 50% shaded the others are not shaded at all your output is still cut in half, parralel doesn’t have that issue. For this reason I have my panels in parralel, It was a while ago, but I think I used 8 guage wires.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newps View Post
600 watts isn't enough with a residential fridge. Mine are wired in series to keep amps low and voltage high. I get 60 volts and 20 amps into the controller. I also have a shunt mounted at the batteries that is bluetoothed to my phone, it talks to the controller. They are both Victron units.

Are you saying your 200w panels each put out 20v and 20 amps (...then 3 in series would be 60v and 20 amps)? I thought 200w panels would be more like 10-11 amp each. What type/age are your panels (...I know they are getting better and better all the time)?


Solar is addictive!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
I have the same coach, here is how I have the solar wired.

Down between the refrigerator and the wall that the thermostat is mounted on. From the refrigerator access panel the wires go down and a bit forward. If you remove the bottom drawers and access panel bellow the sink you can route the cables with lots of other cables and ducts down there to the wall at the left of the steps. Next snake the cables down to the bay just to the left of the door.. I put my wires in plastic wire looms. The solar controller is mounted on the bulk head in the bay behind the steps which is nice and close to the batteries. Getting wires into and out of the space bellow the cabinets is the hardest part.

Hope this helps.
So you drilled the roof and ran the wires down the wall with the thermostat?
I will look for these panels when I get home. Thanks you!
PD Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD Monkey View Post
So you drilled the roof and ran the wires down the wall with the thermostat?
I will look for these panels when I get home. Thanks you!
Correct. Used one these installed with 3m vhb tape and sealed it with dicor sealant, which is what Tiffin uses for all of the roof penitration covers.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KV...b_b_asin_title

There is a small gap between the refrigerator and the bulk head. Just make sure you drill in the correct place. When I got mine it already had a hole for a single panel and wires that were too small for my current setup. If you can drill from the bottom( make sure it's far enough from the edge so it's on a flat part of the roof.), if you can't drill from bellow then measure very carefully.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:07 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Correct. Used one these installed with 3m vhb tape and sealed it with dicor sealant, which is what Tiffin uses for all of the roof penitration covers.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KV...b_b_asin_title

There is a small gap between the refrigerator and the bulk head. Just make sure you drill in the correct place. When I got mine it already had a hole for a single panel and wires that were too small for my current setup. If you can drill from the bottom( make sure it's far enough from the edge so it's on a flat part of the roof.), if you can't drill from bellow then measure very carefully.
I took a look. I can't drill from below without removing the fridge. It is about 6' up from the access panel to the roof. But it does look like there is around a 2-3" gap between the fridge and the wall. I think I can use a laser or good old fashion plumb-bob to get my spot on the roof. It doesn't look too tough. Thanks for your input!
PD Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ddjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Correct. Used one these installed with 3m vhb tape and sealed it with dicor sealant, which is what Tiffin uses for all of the roof penitration covers.
If you call Tiffin you will find out that they do not use Dicor on the roof but instead use a silicone. Last I checked it was this from Heng’s:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJNO98...v_ov_lig_dp_it
__________________
2019 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32 SA, Ruby Too.
2016 Subaru Crosstrek, Soobie.
2004 Lazy Daze Class C (sold) Ruby
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddjay View Post
If you call Tiffin you will find out that they do not use Dicor on the roof but instead use a silicone. Last I checked it was this from Heng’s:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJNO98...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I know on mine and every Tiffin roof I have looked at they use Dicor. I did put silicone in the hole with the wires as an extra level of protection, but the entire plate is covered with dicor, just like all of the other roof entry flanges and the front and rear cap joints.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:08 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD Monkey View Post
I took a look. I can't drill from below without removing the fridge. It is about 6' up from the access panel to the roof. But it does look like there is around a 2-3" gap between the fridge and the wall. I think I can use a laser or good old fashion plumb-bob to get my spot on the roof. It doesn't look too tough. Thanks for your input!

You sound like me in that you are handy and like doing improvements on your 32SA. One additional project I highly recommend is a shower miser. It saves lots of water from not only the shower, but also to the sinks since it gets hot water to the manifold in the bathroom. Also makes showers more pleasant and less messy. Let me know if you are interested in details on how to add this on your coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210202_141007.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	374140  
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #12
Member
 
Kendorado's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 68
Solar

I'd like to know more about the Shower miser. How about creating a new thread about this topic?
KD
Kendorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendorado View Post
I'd like to know more about the Shower miser. How about creating a new thread about this topic?
KD
Done. Hope you find it helpful.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 31
I'll take a look at the shower miser post. Thanks!
PD Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
install, solar



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
32SA Solar Install Newps Tiffin Owner's Forum 7 02-26-2021 01:18 PM
Anyone connect trailer solar to home's grid solar? lifesgdsteve Outdoors RV Owner's Forum 7 06-25-2020 10:48 PM
32SA vs. 32SA-2 ghoticov Tiffin Owner's Forum 5 11-23-2016 09:14 AM
Want Solar Installed on Allegro 32SA KatyBischoff Tiffin Owner's Forum 11 10-26-2016 08:47 AM
Tiffin Allegro Red 32SA??? HK2NY Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 09-13-2014 02:31 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.