RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2020, 06:32 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Aqua Hot 2019 Phaeton 40IH

The Aqua Hot materials I received from Tiffin with my new coach and what I can find online is very vague regarding the operation of the aqua hot unit. I'm reading threads where the engine radiator heat is supposed to automatically heat the coach water while traveling down the road. Do I need to turn on the engine pre-heat switch to do this? or is there something else I need to do?
Thanks
lyonstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #2

Have a 2018 phaeton and have never heard of the radiator heat automatically heating the coach water. That would mean while you’re driving you could have constant hot water if needed. Only way I know of to heat the coach water is go to the spyder pad and select either electric or diesel. This is our second coach with an aquahot so if I’m mistaken, really been missing something. I’ll probably learn something new today as others weigh in.
Tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your AH is a 450D, you shouldn't have to turn anything on to get hot water while driving.
To get coach heat, just turn the thermostat to 'furnace mode', or whatever Tiffin calls it. No need to turn on any of the AH switches.
For coach heat, it will take 10 or so miles of driving to get the boiler tank up to temp.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #4

To add to the post above, the 450D has the engine preheat function which allows this. The 400D does not have this feature.

When it is cold and you want to preheat the engine, turning on the Aquahot system and the engine preheat button will cycle the engine coolant through the Aquahot system, warming the coolant and therefore the engine.

When not using the preheat function and Aquahot switches off, the system acts in reverse when driving and the hot engine coolant cycles through the Aquahot boiler chamber, heating the boiler fluid. The boiler fluid transfers heat to the water circuit, providing hot water. Turning on the thermostat heat allows heat to the heat exchangers using the same heated boiler fluid.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #5

I'm assuming the OP has a 450D, as he/ she mentioned a engine preheat switch.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #6

Also, don't confuse the electric engine preheat switch on the dash with the Aquahot system. The dash engine preheat button works off of shore or generator electric and has nothing to do with the Aquahot preheat function.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You most likely have the latest AquaHot, the 450-DE which functions the same as what Nacraman describes. There are internal changes to the burner that would affect the servicing but that’s all.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my Phaeton I had and the 19 Bus that I currently have you still have to select the diesel function on the aqua hot to make your system to turn on. If not you will still not get any heat transfer from your coach engine to the aqua hot while you are driving.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #9

We have '19 Phaeton 40IH, all electric, with Aqua Hot 450-D. Aqua hot and engine definitely make hot water when driving - you do not have to turn diesel or electric on.

From Aqua Hot User & Care Guide (p6) for 450-D system:

"The Aqua-Hot System is powered by TribridHot™ technology
and uses one or a combination of the following sources:

1. The 120 Volt-AC Electric Element: When plugged into shore power, the electric element lets you use the power you are already paying for to provide heat and meet your light duty hot water needs.
2. The Diesel Burner: This is the Aqua-Hot’s most powerful heat source and provides all of heating and hot water needs in cold temperatures or dry camping.
3. The Vehicle’s Engine: When driving or idling, the engines surplus heat is transferred to the Aqua-Hot providing interior heat and limited hot water without burning any other fuel."
Old 11-12-2020, 06:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Aqua Hot 2019Phaeton 40IH

Thanks for all the feedback. Our Aqua Hot is the 450D.
We did not know our system had this function, so that was a nice surprise.
We're heading out this weekend for a quick trip so we will test the hot water and the coach heat while going down the road.
lyonstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #11

I knew I would learn something new. We never knew we had that function either. Thanks so much to all. Reinforces why this is such a great forum to be on.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #12

And we tested it today while on the road. Worked great
Old 11-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedo View Post
And we tested it today while on the road. Worked great
Old 11-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone know which Aqua Hot is in the 2021 Tiffin RED and if it works the same way. Thanks!
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqua hot, phaeton