Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Aqua Hot 450

Hello. This is my first post but as a recent purchaser of a 2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus, I have a few questions and I figure this is the best way to get answers. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can I run the Auqa Hot as I'm going down the highway? Also, is it OK to post more than one question at a time or should I make all my inquiries separate? Thanks for any info.
janetandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 08:24 PM   #2

No need while driving. Heat from engine cooling system circulates through aqua hot so water is warm when you get there.

When parked with shore power turn on electric. Use burner if lots of hot water needed.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sure, you can run the diesel burner going down the road if you need it.

Keep in mind you will get decent heat out of your AH heat exchangers without turning it on. Just set your thermostat to the temp you want, on 'furnace mode'. The engine will heat up the AH boiler fluid.
I find this provides plenty of heat till about 30deg. Below that I'll fire up the burner.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #4

The AH burn rate is a small percentage of our fuel consumption when under way. If it's cold, we just leave it (or turn it) on, and drive. When the engine makes enough heat, it uses even less diesel. When we stop, the diesel burner picks up where the engine left off. YMMV...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
As a previous owner of a 2014 bus you can do this.

Don’t turn on the diesel or electric on the switch panel above the driver seat.

DO turn it on at the thermostats like you would if you had the burner on. Front and rear to desired temp. The Cumins motor will heat up the aguahot which will then run the little radiators.

So you DONT need the burner on but you will get heat. Took me almost a year to figure that one out. This will heat up the entire coach while driving in cold weather.

Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzent View Post
No need while driving. Heat from engine cooling system circulates through aqua hot so water is warm when you get there.

When parked with shore power turn on electric. Use burner if lots of hot water needed.

Diesel burner will only come on traveling until your engine temp reaches 180 degrees. Then the engine heat takes over. Aqua Hot thermostat set at 180 degrees at the factory.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hi & welcome to iRV2. Glad to have you.

As others stated you can run it while traveling. It depends on what you're wanting out of it. If you're just wanting hot water, you don't have to have it on. Once your engine gets up to temp, the heat from that will heat your water. If you're wanting to have furnace heat, then by all means turn it on for furnace heat. If you want electric heat, then you'll run your generator & turn on your heat pumps.

As for asking questions, it's best to make new posts for each different question you have. Mixing multiple questions in a single thread will get you exposure to only members who've already answered your 1st question in this thread. Any new posts to this thread will still be under the AquaHot title & you won't get newer/other topic questions answered unless members hunt down your new question.

Keeping threads on a single subject is also noted in our Community Rules guidelines.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlturner View Post
Diesel burner will only come on traveling until your engine temp reaches 180 degrees. Then the engine heat takes over. Aqua Hot thermostat set at 180 degrees at the factory.
You won't get as much heat from the heat exchangers with just the engine heat, as you will with the burner running.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
As a previous owner of a 2014 bus you can do this.

Don’t turn on the diesel or electric on the switch panel above the driver seat.

DO turn it on at the thermostats like you would if you had the burner on. Front and rear to desired temp. The Cumins motor will heat up the aguahot which will then run the little radiators.

So you DONT need the burner on but you will get heat. Took me almost a year to figure that one out. This will heat up the entire coach while driving in cold weather.

Jeff

Jeff, I understand not turning on the switches in the panel above the driver seat, but you're saying to turn these on (see pic) and then heat will come out the little floor radiators once the engine warms up? Do I set these thermostats to gas or electric? And yes...when I drove it from Tampa Bay to Rapid City, SD last week, it was cold while I was driving. Thank you for the assistance. Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20201130_161655.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	309840  
janetandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetandmike View Post
Jeff, I understand not turning on the switches in the panel above the driver seat, but you're saying to turn these on (see pic) and then heat will come out the little floor radiators once the engine warms up? Do I set these thermostats to gas or electric? And yes...when I drove it from Tampa Bay to Rapid City, SD last week, it was cold while I was driving. Thank you for the assistance. Mike
Set those switches to GAS which is the Aquahot. Electric is the heat pumps on the ceiling. I know, it’s kind of confusing. It’s not gas, it’s diesel. Jeff
Old 11-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
Set those switches to GAS which is the Aquahot. Electric is the heat pumps on the ceiling. I know, it’s kind of confusing. It’s not gas, it’s diesel. Jeff
Ps. On our coach, only the front and rear units were Aquahot. Middle was heat pump only.