Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 05:02 AM   #15

I had both
Propane in my 99, 04, and 07 RVs
I have Aquahot in my 2020.
1. If you get Aquahot, you can not blow out when you winterize, I use 15 gallons of antifreeze to winterize my 43 ft with 2 bathrooms, one in the rear.
Blowing out a Aquahot unit will ruin it. ( read the manual )
2. Diesel smell will get into your RV if you are running your AC and if the exhaust wind blows it under the RV.
3. It heats nice, unlimited hot water, ( big deal, I never ran out if hot water with a 10 gal hot water tank. My propane furnace heated nice too.) if your in temps below 50 your AC heat pumps will not work, so 100% Aquahot on diesel.
4. In winter diesel has to be on 100% of the time, you need the diesel to have heat, my guess the propane ones too
5. The yearly service which is required is about $400 and has to be done by a certified service man. My closest is 4 hours away.
6. The electric really is just for day time use in summer to have hot water to wash your hands and dishes. If you are going to take a shower, you need the diesel on.
If I had a choice in my 2020 Winnie I would choose the furnace.
You save $400 a year. ( over 10 yrs = $4000) Easier to winterize.
As to resale, I think a furnace unit will sell quicker since it has a lower yearly cost.
Just my opinion.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisajb View Post
I think the Aqua Hot it a great product, but my concerns are leaving late from MN where the high temp is -10, and driving 60 mph as well. I have done this trip many times in a quality MH and propane heat, add extra heat in the back, and electric heat running off a generator, and closing the doors to separate the front from the back. It is so cold up here beer will freeze in your hand before you can drink it. Aqua Hot I'm sure is good for everywhere in the summer and good everywhere south of Kanas in the wintertime.
What I have been told by Tiffen about the shower is you need it to be on electricity in order to have a hot shower and I like to camp in a place that does not provide electricity and the fellow campers are not fond of generators. I live off solar for 4+ months. Again thanks to all the people that helped but still looking for little more help.
You will have no problem driving in below zero weather while running the Aquahot. Put your dash heat on recirc mode also helps pull the warm air around the front of the coach. You will be shedding your jacket.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:04 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing that has not been mentioned, I believe, is the ability to heat the inside of coach with the aqua hot. We have several registers scattered about and the blow warm air out. The aqua hot provides the heat thru plumbing to them. Very quit heat from Diesel. Highly efficient and effective.

Also, while driving, if you have model 450d, they will heat the inside of the coach using the same system without the burner on, using the heat from the motor. Very nice when itís chilly outside. You donít need to rely on the dash heater. Used that several times. Took me some time to figure out that one.

Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I had both
Propane in my 99, 04, and 07 RVs
I have Aquahot in my 2020.
1. If you get Aquahot, you can not blow out when you winterize, I use 15 gallons of antifreeze to winterize my 43 ft with 2 bathrooms, one in the rear.
Blowing out a Aquahot unit will ruin it. ( read the manual )
2. Diesel smell will get into your RV if you are running your AC and if the exhaust wind blows it under the RV.
3. It heats nice, unlimited hot water, ( big deal, I never ran out if hot water with a 10 gal hot water tank. My propane furnace heated nice too.) if your in temps below 50 your AC heat pumps will not work, so 100% Aquahot on diesel.

Completely untrue. My heat pumps work perfectly at 40 degrees and still work fairly well down to 35.

4. In winter diesel has to be on 100% of the time, you need the diesel to have heat, my guess the propane ones too
5. The yearly service which is required is about $400 and has to be done by a certified service man. My closest is 4 hours away.
6. The electric really is just for day time use in summer to have hot water to wash your hands and dishes. If you are going to take a shower, you need the diesel on.

Untrue again. I do mostly use diesel for showers but Ive taken them with just electricity on and its totally fine. The water wont melt your skin off but you can easily take a nice shower.

If I had a choice in my 2020 Winnie I would choose the furnace.
You save $400 a year. ( over 10 yrs = $4000) Easier to winterize.
As to resale, I think a furnace unit will sell quicker since it has a lower yearly cost.
Just my opinion.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM   #19

Aqua hot is a joke. Over complicated system, expensive, needs maintenance,etc. dealers tell you this so you order it and they make $$$. Donít fix something that doesnít need to be fixed. A conventional 10g water heater works perfect
Ebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
My last RV had AquaHot. I loved it. In fact, they could have skipped putting a huge 70 gallon propane tank in our RV, the only thing we used propane for was the cooktop. Before I sold the RV, I was considering ripping out that tank and putting in an induction cooktop.

My service cost me right around $150, not $400. I only did mine once because I did not know how long it had been, but that said I never serviced it again and I had that RV for 4 years.

As said above, we had endless hot water, and it was much quieter to heat with than the rooftop heat pumps.

All that said, your salesman is full of it in regards to you not being able to sell the coach without it. Most people, even RV people, have no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned my AquaHot.

Tags
aqua hot, cold weather