Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Aqua Hot and the cold weather of MN

I'm looking at buying a tiffin 33AA. Evey salesperson tells me I need to order "Aqua Hot". They say nobody will buy it when and if I go to sell it. But they also say that you need to turn on the electric portion of the 250D if you don't want a cold shower and I tend to park where electricity isn't available. I use solar. My biggest concern is I live in MN and sometimes don't go south until Xmas. It can be -10 and you're driving down the road at 60 mph; I'm not sure I will not freeze death. I've also heard that when running the Aqua Hot that the fumes produced can be unpleasant if you are outside or for your neighbor. Any thoughts will be a big help.
dennisajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First, never listen to a salesman. Second, we love our AquaHot and probably wouldn't buy our next rig without it. We always use the electric side when we are plugged in, but it's the diesel side that we use for continuous hot water. The diesel side does fine without the electric side running. I haven't noticed much of a smell with the AquaHot running. Occasionally, I will get a whiff of it. Seems to be more when I'm just starting it up for the first time on a trip, rather than when it's been running. Seems like sitting for a bit will make it smell. On a multi-day, I've never smelled a thing from it.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't let a salesman snow you. There are tons of people out there that prefer a propane coach over the all electric, myself included. Yes there are diesel fumes when using the AH, some are worse than others.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #4

I suspect your salesman may not have a propane heater in the coach you are looking for. Agree with dizcom. I had aquahot on my last two Tiffins and propane before that. I rank the aquahot the hands down better of the two. Wouldn’t trade it for anything. Constant hot water on diesel and plenty of heat. No need to run the electric for hot water when the diesel is on. I have never had a whiff from my aquahot. Only thing you may need to watch is the positioning of your water and sewer lines so the exhaust, which on both of mine, was right behind the wet bay, and you don’t want to melt your hoses when hooked up at the campground.
Tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:25 AM   #5

We love our AquaHot. Last trip we just had the electric side on and plenty of hot water. In February we went south to the Gulf Shores AL however the first two nights the temps got to mid 20's, the AH had no problem keeping the coach warm. We also, in a RED 37BA, have to ensure the water and sewer hose are clear of the AH exhaust pipe since it is right behind our wet bay as well.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Aqhahot is the way to go. Ours is propane and it works great, I know the diesel ones actual do better as the burn is hotter.
jbhobbs54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We prefer the AquaHot over the propane furnace. More gentle and even heating. Occasional whiff of diesel on start up, but not an issue. Insulation and build are more of an issue than heat source.

Our Newmar Canyon Star really wasn't built as 4 season coach, you could make do in cold weather but propane tank size was a limiter. We did use her in Indiana in March and NC Mountains in Dec without freezing to death, but had to manage resources.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #8

I think the Aqua Hot it a great product, but my concerns are leaving late from MN where the high temp is -10, and driving 60 mph as well. I have done this trip many times in a quality MH and propane heat, add extra heat in the back, and electric heat running off a generator, and closing the doors to separate the front from the back. It is so cold up here beer will freeze in your hand before you can drink it. Aqua Hot I'm sure is good for everywhere in the summer and good everywhere south of Kanas in the wintertime.
What I have been told by Tiffen about the shower is you need it to be on electricity in order to have a hot shower and I like to camp in a place that does not provide electricity and the fellow campers are not fond of generators. I live off solar for 4+ months. Again thanks to all the people that helped but still looking for little more help.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisajb View Post
I think the Aqua Hot it a great product, but my concerns are leaving late from MN where the high temp is -10, and driving 60 mph as well. I have done this trip many times in a quality MH and propane heat, add extra heat in the back, and electric heat running off a generator, and closing the doors to separate the front from the back. It is so cold up here beer will freeze in your hand before you can drink it. Aqua Hot I'm sure is good for everywhere in the summer and good everywhere south of Kanas in the wintertime.
What I have been told by Tiffen about the shower is you need it to be on electricity in order to have a hot shower and I like to camp in a place that does not provide electricity and the fellow campers are not fond of generators. I live off solar for 4+ months. Again thanks to all the people that helped but still looking for little more help.
They may have just misspoke. The diesel output is significantly more than the electric. Maybe go back and ask that question again. There are many threads here that compare the two. Youíll be able to make use of the shower without the electric on. AquaHot states in the owners manual that the electric side is not for continuous hot water usage like a shower. That said, when itís warm out, we rarely need the diesel side to have plenty of hot water.

Also, you are doing beer wrong.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:24 PM   #10

Would also add that with aquahot, you can get hot water going down the road with the engine running, because the engine coolant circulates through the aquahot to heat the water. No need to even turn the aquahot on. Not sure who you are speaking with at Tiffin or the dealership but suspect they may not be well informed about the aquahot and how it operates. You don’t need to run the electric if you are using the diesel. But if you have doubts you probably need to stay with what your comfortable with. Just know if you’re camping in remote places 100 Gallons of diesel for heat will last you a lot longer than 30 or 40 pound tank of propane. Best on whatever you decide.
Tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
They may have just misspoke. The diesel output is significantly more than the electric.
^This^

Either they misspoke, or you heard it wrong!

Once you turn on the Aqua Hot diesel burner, whether you have the electric element on or not, is insignificant !
Old 07-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #12

OK, you all have told me that AH is the only way to go. Now can you please go to my post on how not to pay too much for the 2022 RedAA? Thank to everybody. Happy camping.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedo View Post
Would also add that with aquahot, you can get hot water going down the road with the engine running, because the engine coolant circulates through the aquahot to heat the water. No need to even turn the aquahot on. Not sure who you are speaking with at Tiffin or the dealership but suspect they may not be well informed about the aquahot and how it operates. You donít need to run the electric if you are using the diesel. But if you have doubts you probably need to stay with what your comfortable with. Just know if youíre camping in remote places 100 Gallons of diesel for heat will last you a lot longer than 30 or 40 pound tank of propane. Best on whatever you decide.
It is my understanding that only the 450D model is tied into the engine giving hot water while driving, and inversely can heat the engine block when needed. Not the 400 which may come with your coach model. Jeff.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:41 AM   #14

Aquahot is only OK in the shower experience; it was designed to work with your water pump. You'll need to restrict inlet pressure if you're hooked to city water, and definitely need a low flow shower head. Beats a crappy RV hot water heater, but I imagine a proper tankless system would work better. It's a great furnace once you figure out its idiosyncratic logic.

Tags
aqua hot, cold weather