Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2022, 10:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AquaHot heated by engine heat

The Aquahot literature says that when driving the AH unit can use engine coolant for heat. Yet in my 2019 40IH I see no way to turn that function on. Is this feature even enabled on a Tiffins?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2022, 10:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2019 37AP does heat the Aquahot as I drive. No action required to enable the function. You may just have to drive awhile.
DP76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:03 PM   #3

From the aqua hot manual.

3. The Vehicle’s Engine: When driving or idling, the engines surplus heat is transferred to the Aqua-Hot providing interior heat and limited hot water without burning any other fuel.

In our '19 40IH, plenty of hot water after day of driving. As noted previously, no switch.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
The Aquahot literature says that when driving the AH unit can use engine coolant for heat. Yet in my 2019 40IH I see no way to turn that function on. Is this feature even enabled on a Tiffins?
jt

If you want to heat the inside of your coach while driving. Set your Spyder AH to “diesel”and “furnace”. Set the thermostat to the desired temperature. Your diesel burner will heat the coach until the engine gets up to operating temperature. The engine takes over when at operating temperature gets to 170-180 degrees.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
jt
It's plumbed to do this automatically. Nothing required on your part. When you pull into a campground after driving all day you will already have hot water.
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks folks. That expains it and it makes perfect sense. I would also think you could use electric instead of diesel in the summer if running the genny to run house AC while traveling, and engine heat would take over after warmup.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:09 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you just want hot water, then the engine will provide the heat to the AQ antifreeze/boiler liquid. Don't need AQ diesel, electric, or preheat turned on.

If you are trying to keep the house warm while driving, you still have the AQ off, but you need to have the thermostat(s) switched to gas to get the AQ radiators, pumps, & fans to work.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Coolant line petcocks

In a way you DO turn it on (or off). The hot coolant flows out of the engine thru lines that pass thru the AH up to the dash heater. These lines can be shut off by petcocks at the engine, on the bottom, and are easy to get to if necessary. If you are getting heat out of your dash heater you are OK, those lines are not shut off, and your problem is somewhere else. If no heat up front, find a nice dry spot and crawl under the engine to check that those petcocks are open.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heat