Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
AquaHot heating the wet bay

I'm sure someone will be able to help me with the answer to my question.

I usually would be winterized by this time of the year. This year is different because we are planning on taking a trip down south in the beginning of December. The concern is between now and the time we get down south the temperature has gotten real close to freezing. So my question is....

The coach is connected to 50A shore power. We are not occupying the coach at until we begin to travel. Is there a way to heat and protect the wet bay but not have the heat on inside the coach. The thermostat in the wet bay is set for 41-45 degrees. I don't want to burn fuel, so I have just the electric turned on for the AquaHot. Since we are not staying in the coach, I didn't want to set any of the three stats in the coach to a heating position. I guess I'm not sure if the heated water needs to be circulating to the fan coil units inside the coach.

Is this possible just heat the wet bay on electric only? TIA

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving to all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I believe if you have the Aquahot on and the heat in the living area off it will come on to keep the bays warm. Thats how mine works. Just a different zone as far as Aquahot is concerned. Interior zones off and bay zone is automatically on
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lijbs View Post
I'm sure someone will be able to help me with the answer to my question.

I usually would be winterized by this time of the year. This year is different because we are planning on taking a trip down south in the beginning of December. The concern is between now and the time we get down south the temperature has gotten real close to freezing. So my question is....

The coach is connected to 50A shore power. We are not occupying the coach at until we begin to travel. Is there a way to heat and protect the wet bay but not have the heat on inside the coach. The thermostat in the wet bay is set for 41-45 degrees. I don't want to burn fuel, so I have just the electric turned on for the AquaHot. Since we are not staying in the coach, I didn't want to set any of the three stats in the coach to a heating position. I guess I'm not sure if the heated water needs to be circulating to the fan coil units inside the coach.

Is this possible just heat the wet bay on electric only? TIA

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving to all.
I don't know the answer to your question. However, having just arrived back home from FL, with the forecast for tonight's low now around 20F, we set the coach zones to 50F to make sure nothing inside freezes. Also, I turned on the burner because I'm not at all sure the electric element is sufficient to keep the wet bay and the inside plumbing from freezing.

On the other hand, if you want to experiment (smile), I'd be interested in the results...
n2zon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe Ranger Smith has it correct. Either gas or Electric, AH should keep your bay above freezing toasty.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #5

The following is an excerpt from your manual.

"Also featured in the Aqua-Hot system is an electrical burner switch. With this switch activated and shore power available, it will supply a very limited amount of hot water and limited interior heat."

You said that you "don't want to burn fuel". Your Aqua Hot uses negligible amounts fuel. Last year we were in cold weather (low 30s to mid 40s) for almost a month. During that time, I am not sure that the fuel gauge needle moved and our burner was activated the whole month. Consider the cost of even several gallons of fuel vs replacing burst pipes or a ruptured holding tank.

During very cold weather we will put a 100 watt bulb in the wet bay for added heat and insurance.
BRodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:36 AM   #6

You are plugged in to 50 A. Just lay a plug in small electric heater in the bottom. Turn thermostat on wave by by
Poppedclams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:29 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When camping in cool weather (40s), I'll use the AH on electric and the thermostats set on gas. The inside radiators blow out warm air. Not as hot as the diesel burner, but it does warm up the MH. Therefore, it must be doing the same in the wet bay.

You do need to have fresh water in the tank & lines, since it be heating that a well.

I'm doing the same "experiment", but we are located in TX. Our lows, normally, only get down into the 20s, with highs in the 40-50 range.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Love all the guys that don’t have AquaHot and offer advise.

There is a small dial in the wet bay. This is the temp adjustment for the wet bay heat loop. If you leave the electric side of the aquahot on it will provide heat to the glycol loop. You may consider also leaving the floor heat on low depending on how cold you expect it to get. You would not want the plumbing upstairs to freeze either. You could also adjust those upstairs thermostats.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Weíll thank you all

Seems like everyone as usual has an opinion and a system that works best for their situation.

Iíve taken away knowledge from this post that will undoubtedly prevent any freezing issues!

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!
lijbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #10

Op is not occupying coach. Just needs chill knocked off.
Poppedclams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
Love all the guys that donít have AquaHot and offer advise.

There is a small dial in the wet bay. This is the temp adjustment for the wet bay heat loop. If you leave the electric side of the aquahot on it will provide heat to the glycol loop. You may consider also leaving the floor heat on low depending on how cold you expect it to get. You would not want the plumbing upstairs to freeze either. You could also adjust those upstairs thermostats.
This is what I do. Plugged into 50amp, I set my AH wet bay thermostat at 41-45 degrees, which is around 3 oíclock on the dial. If itís going to get below freezing for several hours, I turn on one of the furnaces and set at 55. I donít turn on both furnaces unless itís getting below 25 degrees.
Phaeton RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton RVer View Post
This is what I do. Plugged into 50amp, I set my AH wet bay thermostat at 41-45 degrees, which is around 3 oíclock on the dial. If itís going to get below freezing for several hours, I turn on one of the furnaces and set at 55. I donít turn on both furnaces unless itís getting below 25 degrees.
I understand the thermostat setting for the wet bay, But I am not clear on the settings for the thermostat settings and the diesel switch inside the coach.

Should the diesel heat switch be in the off position inside the coach?

Should I slide one of the three thermostats to the fuel heating setting? Obviously, not the electric setting since I donít want the rooftop unit to keep trying to heat when below 40. As I understand it will try to heat but will be unsuccessful and then switch to the heat exchangers.

So my assumption would be to;

1. set electric heat at the AH panel.

2. Slide one of the interior thermostat switches to fuel heating and keep the stat set for 50-55 degrees.

Did I get this time?
lijbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #13

jkorn described it simply and correctly. Iíve been working on my wet bay heating system for two months because Tiffin failed to install it correctly. Iíve learned a lot. Heed jkornís advice. Itís really quite that simple.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lijbs View Post
I understand the thermostat setting for the wet bay, But I am not clear on the settings for the thermostat settings and the diesel switch inside the coach.

Should the diesel heat switch be in the off position inside the coach?

Should I slide one of the three thermostats to the fuel heating setting? Obviously, not the electric setting since I donít want the rooftop unit to keep trying to heat when below 40. As I understand it will try to heat but will be unsuccessful and then switch to the heat exchangers.

So my assumption would be to;

1. set electric heat at the AH panel.

2. Slide one of the interior thermostat switches to fuel heating and keep the stat set for 50-55 degrees.

Did I get this time?
I have an all electric Ď21 Phaeton 40IH, so i just tap the spyder and select rear furnace and set temp.
Phaeton RVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating