Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Angry Atwood level jacks

MY 2008 Phaeton has Attwood jacks, drivers side rear will not retract . Was told there is a way to get it up to get to dealer to fix. Need to know how to do it.
granddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Go under the coach and look up at the jack. You'll see a hex nut at the end of the motor (small black arrow in the pic points at it, click to enlarge). Use a drill and an appropriate adapter and socket and turn it, you'll soon figure out which way it needs to go to go up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LevelerNut.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	108801
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Attwood jacks

Tried to raise the jack with the bolt and the cog is not catching and only makes a clicking noise. Jack does not move at all . They said it could not be towed with back jack down. Would a mobile repair be able to replace a jack ? got one coming today.
granddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I suspect you have a broken shear pin. A mobile repair service should be able to replace the jack easily. They can use a bottle jack and jack stands to take the weight off the jack and remove it. On my jacks there are four big bolts holding the jack on the chassis plate. You can see two of them on the left side of the pic above.

If this is the problem the jack leg just falls out of the jack when removed.

I was lucky, my pins always broke when the jacks were raised all the way. What happened then was the jack leg just fell to the ground. All I had to do was wire it up to be able to move.

This will happen again, I'd keep the jack. Even if the repair service does not have a pin you can get one from Atwood and have it the next time one breaks. PM me for my contact if you want to pursue this. If your tech knows how to fix Atwood landing gear he should easily be able to replace the pin. It cost me $20 for a tech to take apart my jack and knock out the bad pin, I got the new pin and put it back together. The next three I did myself.

Here and here are posts from Tiffin owners who have had the same issues, it looks like Tiffin helped defray the cost.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who did you talk to at Atwood?
I tried to get pins from them but they didn't seem interested in selling me any.
Jake
gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Our first outing this spring in our "new to us" 07 KSDP, the right front Atwood jack would not retract. Called GS Roadside, guy came out had a long pry bar. Between his pry bar, and me pressing buttons, retract..extend...several times it retracted. Happened a couple of other times, and I was able to get it retracted myself. Read here somewhere, to use 2x12x12 wood pads under them.
I have 8K miles and many, many setups, not one issue using the wood pads. And if it is a long stroke to level, I stack two blocks.

Just MHO....they are designed for the heavy, lift to extend. That big flat iron foot, presses into dirt, mud, asphalt, water underneath etc. and it won't retract. Not designed for the retract torque.

I am budgeting for someday having to replace it, (them), but so far so good. And yep it makes the sound like it has a stripped spot on the gear or shaft.

Tags
jacks, atwood