RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #1

Atwood levelers

I am looking at buying a 2008 Phaeton.
The inspection went well except the levelers dont work. The inspector could not them to come on.
Should I move on, buy with a discount and replace them or try to repair?
Thanks for thoughts.
Wm Mayberry
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
Cat

You cannot buy parts for the Leveleg systems. This includes the computer board, or the mechanical parts for the legs. Some have purchased a different system and had them installed to replace the Atwood system. I would get a RV dealer/ supplier give you quote to replace the system. Then you would know what the replacement would cost. Good Luck.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
90% of the problems with Atwood levelers, turns out to be corroded connections, and/or a bad ground.

First be sure to have the engine running. Lippert told me that the levelegs of that era need to see 13 -13.5 volts, which your alternator puts out.

If it still won't turn on then, clean the connection on the engine battery and you will likely be in business.

If you buy it, I recommend also cleaning all connectors at the control module with DeOxit.

BTW. Lippert owns Atwood and has a few NOS key pads, depending on model. (that is probably NOT your problem) There is also at least one company that will completely rebuild the controller at a reasonable price.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #4

My 07 Discovery has Atwood Levelegs. You can absolutely still buy parts for them, fake news by those who tell you that you can't

I replaced a gear on two separate occasions. I then pulled all four legs and tack welded the jack plate to the legs. Only held by 4 peens/leg!
Been trouble free last 4 years and 40K miles.

I'll most likely pull them this spring and give each a good lube!

I can dig up pics if you'd like to see my work I did on them. Not the best electric jacks but if you know hour levelegs and treat them nice they will last a lifetime.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
My 07 Discovery has Atwood Levelegs. You can absolutely still buy parts for them, fake news by those who tell you that you can't

I replaced a gear on two separate occasions. I then pulled all four legs and tack welded the jack plate to the legs. Only held by 4 peens/leg!
Been trouble free last 4 years and 40K miles.

I'll most likely pull them this spring and give each a good lube!

I can dig up pics if you'd like to see my work I did on them. Not the best electric jacks but if you know hour levelegs and treat them nice they will last a lifetime.
I tried several years ago to buy parts and at that time I was told no parts available by "Atwood". Since then I've seen several people searching for parts, some have been able to buy used parts. If they the parts are available please include that information-- especially if the control boards are available. Safe travels.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #6

My delima is that I have not bought this coach, yet.
Do I need to go forward?
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #7

That's your call. Jack issue could be as simple as a sheer pin.
Atwood would only sell the motor/transmission and the sheer pins. Not sure if they still do.
Jacks are easy to work on.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
Do I need to go forward?
I think with all the things going on right now with the covid 19, you probably have some time to do some research and then make decision. I don't think RVs are selling very fast. Usually discretionary spending like a RV sales is the first to tank. But I'm not looking either. Do some checking and find out if parts are available and what dealers would charge to fix them. Like what was said early its your choice.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
Do I need to go forward?
Only if you figure a new leveling system in addition to the price of the RV.

Been there, done that, wasted money on repairs and ended up having new system installed.
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #10

Parts are now available from Lippert. Search some of the more recent posts on here. Or, just call Lippert and ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I tried several years ago to buy parts and at that time I was told no parts available by "Atwood". Since then I've seen several people searching for parts, some have been able to buy used parts. If they the parts are available please include that information-- especially if the control boards are available. Safe travels.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #11
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
Parts are now available from Lippert. Search some of the more recent posts on here. Or, just call Lippert and ask.
That's good news, for Leveleg owners. Hopefully the replacement parts are better than the original parts. I never really got my system to consistently level my coach. I would calibrate and reteach it level and it would work for a bit then, it wouldn't level. But that MH is long gone.

Anyway good to know you can at least some parts from Lippert. Thank you for the information. Safe Travels!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #12

Leveleg jacks are very easy to work on. The OP's leveleg could just need a new transmission.
Ill have to dig up some of my photos.

RM
Old 04-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
My experience with Atwood is a disaster. Get ready to just pony up and replace the whole system! I spent months looking for a control board replacement 4 years ago. The recommend solution ( per Newmar) was to replace the entire system. And Newmar helped me with 40% of the replacement cost from Atwood.

Last year the “ new “ system front legs failed. Now Atwood sold the business to Lippert. Lippert has no parts. Again, I spent weeks looking for parts. 4 different repair places struck out. I gave up and replace the whole thing with a new HWH hydraulic system.

These guys telling you parts are available. Get a phone number and check it for yourself. I hope I am wrong, but if you can buy a couple of extra legs, and,for sure, a control board, you better buy them.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #14

This is from Feb 14 2020

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fix...ml#post5147643

Quote: On: 02-14-2020 10:34 AM

Hi Guys,

I hit pay dirt on my Atwood Levelegs controller* issue! I contacted Lippert Components last week at lci1.com and asked them if they had any recos regarding Atwood replacement parts. I was gob smacked when they replied:

Part # 80618 changes to part # 678784. Your cost $517.95. This is a kit that includes both the controller AND keypad)

Part # 66555 (Key pad only) changes to part # 678414. Your cost $180.95.

We currently have the parts in stock and they can be ordered by calling 1-574-537-8900.

So, I promptly ordered the kit, and this morning I hooked everything up and presto…. My jacks are functional once again!**

There, I looked it up for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, levelers