RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #1

Auto Level now fixed

Several months ago I had posted a thread about the auto leveler on my 2020 RED 37BA working sporadically. The passenger side jacks would go down with no problem, but I would have to manually put the drivers side jacks down (after several attempts of auto leveling and you could hear the jacks going "whirr....whirr....whirr....whirr"

I was in Red Bay in June and they could not duplicate the problem. I called HWH and the guy said the level in the hydraulics bay was not secure since it only had 2 of the 4 screws in the bracket. I put two additional screws in and it seemed to work, for awhile.

I was in Red Bay last week and this time they had the mechanical guy look at it. Only took about 20 minutes and he found the two ground wires were loose. He said one needed to be tightened about "7 or 8 turns" and the other about "4 turns". I am assuming he was talking about the turns of the nut to hold the wire in place and ensure a good connection. He tested the auto leveler about 7 or 8 times and had no issues. We have only used it once so far (on the way home) and it worked. I am hoping it is a permanent fix and that was the problem all along.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Letís hope the solution was found.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Bob, were the loose ground connections at the solenoids? Or, somewhere else?
Thanks.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you will find your problem solved if I had to guess. My wife and I couldn't believe how detailed the folks are in Red Bay, and how proactive they are. We went to Red Bay for an awning problem prepared to buy a new motor and all other sorts of things, just to solve our ongoing problem. The team that worked on our coach said they would make it work, we gave them the okay to put any parts on it they needed to assure us it would continue to work, and they said okay.

At the end of the day, the made a few alignment changes, and needed nothing else. They assured us that they put the awning in and out many, many, times and low and behold, hasn't failed us since.

I will never hesitate to go back and I have total trust of the employees at Red Bay. Another reason it would be incredibly hard to buy another brand.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCZ View Post
Bob, were the loose ground connections at the solenoids? Or, somewhere else?
Thanks.
I don't know exactly, he was working in the bay where the hydraulics are (second bay door on driver side). Funny thing yesterday went to put the RV back in the storage bay and the drivers side did the "WHIR WHIR WHIR" thing about 5 times then it kicked in and the jacks went down. I was thinking that I still had the problem (and I still may) but the auto level eventually did work. The paperwork only says "fixed loose ground wire", so no indication of exactly where the connectors are.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
I don't know exactly, he was working in the bay where the hydraulics are (second bay door on driver side). Funny thing yesterday went to put the RV back in the storage bay and the drivers side did the "WHIR WHIR WHIR" thing about 5 times then it kicked in and the jacks went down. I was thinking that I still had the problem (and I still may) but the auto level eventually did work. The paperwork only says "fixed loose ground wire", so no indication of exactly where the connectors are.
I had some of that whir whir whir soon after I took delivery. Sometimes not working at all. When it failed to work, I sometimes just left, came back later, and it worked. Go figure.

Ultimately, I contacted Tifton Service, and they shipped me a new touch pad controller. There is a printed circuit board on the back side. He said these are sometimes the issue with erratic operation. Since I installed the new touch pad, all has been good, works perfectly every time.

One other thing to check. Be sure all 8 of the valves (with the levers for releasing pressure) on the hydraulic unit are in the correct position. There are 2 large valves mounted in front where they are visible, and on the back there are 2 large and 4 small valves.
You have probably done this, but just checking.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCZ View Post
I had some of that whir whir whir soon after I took delivery. Sometimes not working at all. When it failed to work, I sometimes just left, came back later, and it worked. Go figure.

Ultimately, I contacted Tifton Service, and they shipped me a new touch pad controller. There is a printed circuit board on the back side. He said these are sometimes the issue with erratic operation. Since I installed the new touch pad, all has been good, works perfectly every time.

One other thing to check. Be sure all 8 of the valves (with the levers for releasing pressure) on the hydraulic unit are in the correct position. There are 2 large valves mounted in front where they are visible, and on the back there are 2 large and 4 small valves.
You have probably done this, but just checking.
It was checked in Red Bay last Thursday, I would figure I was in the mechanical bay they would have given it a good once over. The guy told me they leveled it about 7 or 8 times with no issues. I will see what happens next week when we go out again.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Several months ago I had posted a thread about the auto leveler on my 2020 RED 37BA working sporadically. The passenger side jacks would go down with no problem, but I would have to manually put the drivers side jacks down (after several attempts of auto leveling and you could hear the jacks going "whirr....whirr....whirr....whirr"

I was in Red Bay in June and they could not duplicate the problem. I called HWH and the guy said the level in the hydraulics bay was not secure since it only had 2 of the 4 screws in the bracket. I put two additional screws in and it seemed to work, for awhile.

I was in Red Bay last week and this time they had the mechanical guy look at it. Only took about 20 minutes and he found the two ground wires were loose. He said one needed to be tightened about "7 or 8 turns" and the other about "4 turns". I am assuming he was talking about the turns of the nut to hold the wire in place and ensure a good connection. He tested the auto leveler about 7 or 8 times and had no issues. We have only used it once so far (on the way home) and it worked. I am hoping it is a permanent fix and that was the problem all along.
LOL ! Typical of Tiffen quality control :(
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote