Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #1

Avg MSRP Discount

What has most peopleís experience been in getting discounts when buying a new RV from a dealer? Iím looking at a 34PA that with all the options the Tiffin retail price is $195k and the dealer has it listed on their website @ $222k. From looking at values on NADA it shows avg retail from $142-$171.

Thanks, Joe
j0ebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
A new rv pre covid you could get 25% to 35% discount on average.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0ebeer View Post
What has most peopleís experience been in getting discounts when buying a new RV from a dealer? Iím looking at a 34PA that with all the options the Tiffin retail price is $195k and the dealer has it listed on their website @ $222k. From looking at values on NADA it shows avg retail from $142-$171.

Thanks, Joe
Either I'm confused, OR, you've got your numbers backward. IF the dealer is asking more than Tiffin's MSRP, you should walk away.

I'll admit the days of 25-30% OFF of MSRP are over due to pent up demand, but paying 225 for a 195 coach is absurd.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:36 PM   #4

Watched a youtube RV dealer yesterday...

He was saying that in the last 6 months RV manufacturers have raised prices more than they have in the last 5 years... and RV's sell within 1-2 hours of being on the lot...

The "list" prices on the internet from last year probably are no longer valid...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #5

Yeah, the MSRP thing is a bit off/odd. I was looking at a 2021 Tiffin Allegro price sheet dated Feb 2020, so pre-covid. But dealer sent me the build sheet and the base coach price is $194,684.25 where the Feb 2020 price sheet showed $186,983. Additionally Tiffin is forcing an option on all for the "V8 Eng w/ESCO & Girard Awn PWK" for $5582. No idea what ESCO is. I get the Girard awning package.

The coach's build sheet adds up to $222k with a bunch of options I wouldn't normal consider. So might as well call the 34PA base price $200k now. I reached out to the dealer and so far has offered ~6% discount from the $222k. We'll see if he goes lower.
j0ebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Watched a youtube RV dealer yesterday...

He was saying that in the last 6 months RV manufacturers have raised prices more than they have in the last 5 years... and RV's sell within 1-2 hours of being on the lot...

The "list" prices on the internet from last year probably are no longer valid...
Well, there has always been HYPE, and many are claiming they can sell everything they can get their hands on, and MAYBE that is true for certain types of RVs, but certainly not all.

The manufacturing companies are shipping them out in all-time record numbers, and all those RVs that were undeliverable due to supply chain delays are beginning to get shipped from factory storage yards as the parts supply improves.

The sheer magnitude of the RV world is mind-boggling to me. SSI just reported that the entire RV industry SHIPPED TO DEALERS over 54,000 "RVs" in the month of MARCH 2012 alone. That is the highest number for a single month, ever.

"and the beat goes on".
Old 05-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #7

I agree that any dealer selling anything for more than the MSRP is to be avoided. That being said, NADA and Kelley Blue Book prices have no bearing on what any dealer charges for the vehicles they sell. Prices are based on what the local market will allow. If a dealer can sell the vehicle for more than the MSRP, they will. If they have to discount the vehicle to sell it, they will. Dealers are in business to make a profit.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
....The coach's build sheet adds up to $222k with a bunch of options I wouldn't normal consider. So might as well call the 34PA base price $200k now. I reached out to the dealer and so far has offered ~6% discount from the $222k. We'll see if he goes lower.
They are trying to "make hay while the sun is shining" and that amounts to price gouging, IMO. Pre pent-up demand, almost any Tiffin dealer would discount the factory as built MSRP by 25% to make a sale, and that apparently provided them "enough" profit to stay in business. Now that demand is VERY strong, they see an opportunity to dramatically increase their margins.

When applied to the 222000 MSRP, the difference between a 25% discount and a 6 % discount is $42,180.00 in their pocket. Buyer Beware.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
..... SSI just reported that the entire RV industry SHIPPED TO DEALERS over 54,000 "RVs" in the month of MARCH 2012 alone. That is the highest number for a single month, ever.

"and the beat goes on".
EDIT: That should have read MARCH 2021, not 2012 as I wrote.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #10

Thereís nothing wrong with what the dealers are doing...

When times are lean, you make little or even lose money. When supply is low, prices go up...

Thatís normal and good business sense.

Supply and demand.

Priced lumber recently? Water heaters? Furnaces? Copper?

Msrp is a fake number that means nothing. Most every RV over the last decade sold for its expected dealer price plus/minus a small percentage...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Thereís nothing wrong with what the dealers are doing...

When times are lean, you make little or even lose money. When supply is low, prices go up...

Thatís normal and good business sense.

Supply and demand.

Priced lumber recently? Water heaters? Furnaces? Copper?

Msrp is a fake number that means nothing. Most every RV over the last decade sold for its expected dealer price plus/minus a small percentage...
Same with automobiles. The hottest vehicles are selling over msrp. My wife wanted the decked out Kia Telluride. Guess what...the dealers want 6 to 10% over msrp. I told them politely to pound sand. I felt badly for my wife. The following day that car was gone.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Thanks, Joe
The $194k is the BASE price BEFORE any options, just like a car or truck. The $222k is a pretty loaded coach. Buying off a dealers lot is a different ballgame than ordering from a dealer where the dealer has minimal costs/lot fees ($$$) tied up in the unit. The bottom line is do you want the coach AND does the dealer want to sell it. A 6% markdown is a non-starter imo and tells me the dealer is confident a desperate buyer is just around the corner.

( You could order from Davis in Memphis, fly to pick it up then drive it home and Still have $$$$ in your pocket. )
Tom & Kay +KAISER--Miniature Schnauzer// TIFFIN 2021 OPEN ROAD 34 PA Tireminder A1A / SAFE T PLUS, 2002 Jeep Wrangler/-2013 Bounder Classic 34M SOLD, 1985 Mobile Traveler M-260RDB/ 1993 SOUTHWIND 30E/ 2009 COUGAR 29RKS 5ver
SimRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got my first coach at 39% off MSRP, it was a fleetwood discovery 40G, it was a last year model still on the lot. I got our Tiffin Allegro Bus 45MP 3 months ago at 36% discount, it was sitting there for a year, I guess noone likes the 45MP!

I have been watching prices on MHSRV for about 5 years, generally anything between 35-40% is pretty much the max discount, right now you are getting about 25% because of the demand.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #14

ESCO is Electronic Stability Control. Tiffin built the beginning of the 2021 model year on the old v10 chassis then switched over to the new8 chassis. There may have been a time period where you could specify which one you wanted, but by June 2020 the V8 became a mandatory option. It was, in effect, a $5k price increase.

There was also a price increase on November 1, 2020, and of course another for 2022 model year orders.

You get much better pricing if you order a coach and wait for delivery than if you buy out of dealer inventory. I ordered a 2021 34PA in early October 2020. I negotiated about 24% below list price from my local San Antonio-ish dealer.The big 3 quoted me 27% off, but had sold out their allocations and could not order another 2021 34PA.

At the time, my observation was that coaches purchased off the lot could be had for about 15% to 17% off retail. But of course the market changes in response to supply and demand. I received my coach in about 16 weeks. I understand people are now being told 26+ weeks, so it seems they are more backlogged at the moment - perhaps that leads to higher retail prices. And that of course means if you order a coach, you donít have it for summer 2021.

Regardless, the price you are being offered is extremely high by historical standards.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote