Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Awning on my 2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH won't retract

So I just returned from a week trip in which my Carefree Awning P/N CV197AGJVLM had an issue retracting in which I played with the awning, it's on/off switch and the retract, extend in which it finally retracted. Left it in until I got home yesterday didn't want to have issues when we were leaving. Today I deployed and retracted it without issues. Tried it again and it now won't come back in. Not exactly sure where to start. I pulled up the manual and have the drawing but no idea where the 2A inline switch is located? I'm also wondering if the wind sensor retract is an issue but don't see no mention on the drawing unless it's part of the Control Module. I have a service plan that will pay to fix it but so far I can't seem to find anyone that isn't 2-3 weeks out. By then the awning will be ripped off the MH by the wind. Any ideas on ow to manually retract this awning or fix this problem? I'm pretty handy including electrically but never had an issue with an awning stuck out and looking for some quick help or suggestions that could hasten me getting this in until I can get someone to fix it.
In a related question, should this awning only have 3 arms (see pic) including one that is not centered on the awning? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning on Tiffin .jpg
Views:	92
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	327900  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Awning schematic.pdf (192.2 KB, 65 views)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #2

I only have two arms on mine but had the same issue previously. Mine appeared to be the switches sticking. Had the other half inside working the switches on and off while I was outside on a ladder jarring the awning. Finally went in. Third Tiffin and haven’t had a good experience with that make of awning. Don’t use it anymore
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:55 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedo View Post
I only have two arms on mine but had the same issue previously. Mine appeared to be the switches sticking. Had the other half inside working the switches on and off while I was outside on a ladder jarring the awning. Finally went in. Third Tiffin and haven’t had a good experience with that make of awning. Don’t use it anymore
That's ironic because that's more or less what I did the first time. So after you got it in that time you didn't use it after that?
Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2019 Phaeton had the same Awning issue, I am not sure it is the same as yours.
After working fine for over a year, my awning also got stuck out. I called Tiffin Service. It was determined the wire running from the "In" switch to the awning motor was undersized and could not carry enough voltage. Since it was a known issue, they extended the warranty to correct this issue.
It was actually a simple fix. There was also an unused wire that we doubled up. Tiffin has written directions for this fix.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianb131 View Post
My 2019 Phaeton had the same Awning issue, I am not sure it is the same as yours.
After working fine for over a year, my awning also got stuck out. I called Tiffin Service. It was determined the wire running from the "In" switch to the awning motor was undersized and could not carry enough voltage. Since it was a known issue, they extended the warranty to correct this issue.
It was actually a simple fix. There was also an unused wire that we doubled up. Tiffin has written directions for this fix.
Now that's an interesting resolution, especially since they had an unused wire out to the motor? After checking out the electrical via the schematic I've determined it to be a bad motor since I can track 12V all the way to the wire to the motor it's self. I wonder how long that's been a problem. My awning is a Carefree Freedom Freestyle with a Part Number CV197AGJVLM. Id be interested to know if it's the same Awning.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2018 40' AH with the same Carefree Awning as the OP with the three arms. After more than a year, our's became a crap shoot whether it would extend or retract. Finally called a mobile service tech that confirmed we had power from the switches and felt the problem was the motor was defective. Confirmed with Carefree that I had the correct motor P/N and ordered from Amazon. The directions are pretty straight forward to remove and replace the motor. After replacing the motor it still will NOT extend or retract. We're headed to RB next week and it's on the list for them to fix it.

If your awning is in the extend position, there is a cap on the front end that you can remove a use a 3/8" ratchet and three epinch extension to manually retract the awning. You can not extend an awning using that method.
ValionRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValionRV View Post
We have a 2018 40' AH with the same Carefree Awning as the OP with the three arms. After more than a year, our's became a crap shoot whether it would extend or retract. Finally called a mobile service tech that confirmed we had power from the switches and felt the problem was the motor was defective. Confirmed with Carefree that I had the correct motor P/N and ordered from Amazon. The directions are pretty straight forward to remove and replace the motor. After replacing the motor it still will NOT extend or retract. We're headed to RB next week and it's on the list for them to fix it.

If your awning is in the extend position, there is a cap on the front end that you can remove a use a 3/8" ratchet and three epinch extension to manually retract the awning. You can not extend an awning using that method.
Actually that is how I ended up bringing it in when I hunted down the Service manual and other documents from Carefree. In the end I had traced power from the switches to the module and right to the motor which to me confirmed the motor was DOA. So because I have an Extended Service Plan I had a mobile tech finally come up the other day confirm it and was ordering the motor to replace it hopefully in the next week or two. When I was tracing the electrical circuits via the drawings in the manual I thought it was odd that the schematics didn't not show anything in regards to the wind auto-retract mechanism. The mobile tech said there was 2 types, One is like a cup or mini-anemometer on the roof and another in the module mounted on the awning outside rail. He confirmed mine is inside the module on the rail. Must be some sort of accelerometer or something that closes it when it has too much movement. Anyway Thanks to all that helped. I'll come back to confirm when it's fixed.

Tags
tiffin, phaeton