Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #1

Awning opened then lost power

2012 Open Road. I washed the RV then opened the awning to let it dry. Tried to close it and nothing. Checked the power bay for blow fuse but could not find anything that was labeled "awning." Check all fuses anyway and all looked good. Pulled out awning switch and had no power to it, disconnected the wires and did a continuity checks and switch was OK in both directions. Took my lawn mower battery out to RV and did a direct connect to awning motor wires and was able to retract the awning so I know the motor is OK just not getting power.
BTW all wires to the awning are white or yellow which makes tracing those wires so much fun since most of the wires used the coach are white or yellow.

Is there a relay or fuse somewhere buried in the coach I can check out?

Thanks
Old Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #2

Found it - Operator error

After attaching a signal generator/wire tracer to the awning switch power wire I traced it through the rats nest of white and yellow wires into the power bay. There I found the wire had been spliced into another wire and it changed from yellow to orange then went to a relay. The relay is energized by the parking brake when it is depressed and will then feed power to the awning. I had not set the parking brake.

When I washed the RV I had it in park and parking brake on. After I was done the door was over a puddle of water so without closing the awning I backed up the RV ten feet to dry ground and shut it off. I did not put the parking brake back on since it was in my yard in the grass and level.

Our other rig had a manual awning that would work at anytime I unlocked it and pulled the strap. I’m going to have to get used to these new-fangled power things.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey, look on the plus side.....you won’t forget to set the brake next time
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

Sounds like a great safety idea. When driving down the road it would be really bad to have someone accidently hit the awning switch.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power