RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #1

Backup Camera

Just curious how many folks run with their backup cameras on all the time. Had my MH at Tiffin last week and one item was my camera stoped turning on when vehicle was put in reverse. I was told by tech that camera was made to be on all the time(I know it wasnít) because drivers want to keep an eye on their towed. I know this is wrong and with other things to get repaired I let it go to be fixed by me later. Anyway, who leaves camera on all the time while driving?
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #2

We have 2 rear cameras and our side cameras that are on any time the vehicle is in motion. One of our rear cameras shows the view of the tow bar and the toad while the other rear camera is mounted at the top and is sighted just past the toad so we can see traffic that is approaching our rear. Our side cameras have the 170 degree angle view and I find them helpful in monitoring traffic even when I am not changing lanes.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

I have mine set to continually show both mirror and the rear cameras all the time.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #4

I'd guess that anyone that has a side-and-rear camera system would want it on all the time.

I recently added a wireless color camera system for the rear and that will augment my factory b&w which looks straight down on the hitch. I have quickly grown used to having it on all the time, showing me the road behind my RV whether there is a towed vehicle or not.

I am in the process of adding an additional system (wired b/c it is easier this time) for a pair of side cameras which will also be on all the time. Especially when maneuvering at night, it will be much more agreeable to have a widescreen view of the sides lit up by infrared, than not being able to see anything in the regular mirrors.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #5

I have front and rear facing cameras as well as side cameras. The side cameras are pointed about 45 degrees down so I can see the distance to curbs and other obstacles in close quarter maneuvering. All cameras are always on.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #6

In my limited 6 years and over 100,000 miles of class A RV experience, would never consider turning the camera off. In addition to monitoring the tow vehicle also a tremendous aid for monitoring potential tailgaters and assisting in lane changes.
Tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My camera system is always on to monitor the car. I just wish it had one of those lens washing systems that are on the NASCAR in-car cameras!
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffinUser View Post
I have mine set to continually show both mirror and the rear cameras all the time.
Ditto

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #9

Of course mine are on all the time. Had a friend who had a malfunction in his camera system and couldn't use it. He was a bit surprised when he was passed by his toad on the way down from Alaska. His coach hitch mount failed so no break away protection. Took almost 2 years to get the insurance claims straightened out.

ALL THE TIME, ALWAYS.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #10

I had installed a backup camera in an old class A. State Patrol told me to turn it off and use my mirrors. Could no keep a eye on my jeep.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lorang View Post
I had installed a backup camera in an old class A. State Patrol told me to turn it off and use my mirrors. Could no keep a eye on my jeep.
Must have been a LONG time ago - can't imagine any state trooper saying that now. Some of these rigs HAVE to use the cameras, and plenty of big trucks are using them full-time too for blind spot monitoring.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:47 AM   #12

Rear camera

My point with my original post was not so much camera on or off all the time but the fact my camera stoped turning on automatically when mh was in reverse. With the wide angle view of the camera I didnít see a reason for it to be on when not towing anything. We typically travel without a towed about 1/2 the time. My camera did come on in the standby position originally when put in reverse. I do leave mine on also when towing.
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Do your backup lights come on in reverse? It may be the system is not being triggered.
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #14

When we replaced our previous cameras and upgraded to a 9" quad monitor I did not reinstall the trigger plugs for the side and rear view cameras so that they would remain on and display on the quad screen. Is it possible that one of the trigger plugs on the back of your monitor are loose (the trigger wire plugs are often in the wiring harness that attaches to the monitor)?

Tags
camera