Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to VAGABOND JIM
Basement Security/Locks

Hi Guys,

Tried searching these terms but???

I "Wild" camp a lot and drive off on the motorcycle or toad for the day. The drivers door is bolted from the inside and main entry has pretty good security. The basement locks however would pop open easily with a screwdriver so I'd like to ask any of you that have ideas or done something to secure yours to give me a shout back.

Thanks
Vagabond Jim
VAGABOND JIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I didn't come up with much but I did find this one. Maybe it'll assist you.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/extr...nts-37422.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First of all let me bust a few bubbles for you. My door latch on my tiffin product broke. I called tiffin and they told me I would have to break in and work on it from the inside. It was about a ten minute procedure. I was lucky and found an unlocked window but it is not hard to get into the coach. The cargo bay locks are really, really, really, easy to get into. If I need in them and do not have my keys handy I can break in faster than I can go get the keys inside the coach. From the time I am standing in front of the cargo doors until I have it open is less than 30 seconds that is without any tools or any damage. Obviously I am not going to say how here. I do not have anything in there that I cannot live with out. If you need to keep them locked I have thought the best way is to get a magnetic locking system. They use them a lot in buildings with key card entry. You can buy the system with 12 volt magnets. The holding force is very strong and the only way they can get in is to literally destroy the door. This has the advantage of being able to retrofit being able to lock all of the doors with a switch if you do not have that capability already. The downside is that it is not a cheap fix.

Fix number two that would make it harder to break into is a lot cheaper. I will not tell you what that is on here because then it would tell everyone how to break in. I would advise this. Take a look at how the doors lock. You do not need to take anything apart just look at the whole locking system. Keep in mind what I said about less than actually 10 seconds to get in to a locked compartment with no tools. There Is only one way to easily do this and if you look you can find it and then the fix is obvious.

Let me add that I am only talking about m tiffin product with the doors that open up not to the side. I do not know how they lock so I cannot tell you about them.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

Basement Security

I'm going to be a bit more verbose.
I appreciate the responses I've gotten and want to explain a bit more.
My drivers door has a cable around the door armrest. Close the drivers door and loop the cable around the left armrest of the drivers seat. Yes, the door locks can be broken open but the door will not open far enough to get an arm through to cut the cable. Since the cable is looped over the armrest swivel the bolt isn't going to break or the seat isn't going to come off the floor either. There is a sign on the outside of the door saying "Door Chained Inside".
The main entry door has one of those swing aside hand rails to which I have added a "U" shaped channel through which a hole has been drilled to accept a long shank padlock. All bolts have been drilled and mounted completely through the body and door so they ain't gonna be pulled through.

This leaves the basement with its plastic latches. Yea, screwdriver, 30 seconds. I don't know where you store your tools but I don't want to loose mine. Nor do I want to come back and find that my power cords are gone or that some "I think I'm funny" vandal has emptied my black water tank or fresh water under my unit.
Here you go. I cut a 1 1/8" slot in the top of the lower door frame just enough for a 5/16" eye bolt head to fit through. The door frames are pretty robust extruded aluminum. The 5" eye bolt goes through the steel frame behind each door. The end threads are crushed with a vise grips so the nut can't be removed. Common keyed padlocks.

OK, determined thief will always succeed but "smash and grab" is what you are trying to stop. Every individual has to decide whether that's what they want to stop or if they think someone is going to bust the windshield out and climb up through the broken glass.

When I drove across Africa I even put bars on the windows. If something were stolen on that trip there wasn't any replacing it.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #5

I have something that deter's right to the point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Note3 268.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	54589  
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

I love it! Where did you get it; how did you do it?

Can you tell me how you go about posting a picture the way you did with your signage?

Thanks

Vagabond Jim
Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGABOND JIM View Post
I love it! Where did you get it; how did you do it?

Can you tell me how you go about posting a picture the way you did with your signage?

Thanks

Vagabond Jim
We got our window sticker here: Ready to Defend, - Real Security
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #8

If two identical units were sitting side by side, one locked up normally and the other chained, bolted and with signs saying so I would almost think the one with the signs and extra locks would be the most tempting for a thief to break into, it seems that with all the extra precautions and efforts there surely must be something worth locking up, or something worth taking. Just my perspective.
Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruadair View Post
If two identical units were sitting side by side, one locked up normally and the other chained, bolted and with signs saying so I would almost think the one with the signs and extra locks would be the most tempting for a thief to break into, it seems that with all the extra precautions and efforts there surely must be something worth locking up, or something worth taking. Just my perspective.
No, the ones with the locks and signs indicate a little "red neck blood" and being a Texan I know to be careful messing with Rednecks!
papaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #10

Sorry but my Websters defines "thief" as ...stupid, lazy, moron... Seeing the two like motor homes and knowing only how to use a pry bar like tool said thief is most likely going to opt to break into the normaler looking rig. I like the "Protected by Smith & Wesson" signs as well.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am going to disagree. I think the sign just tells a thief that you might have a gun on board and that is to me one of the highest theft items there is after cash. I do not want to advertise that I might have a firearm on my coach to anyone. If I want them to know I have one I will show it to them barrel first.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have our 5er parked on our property 30 miles south of the Grand Canyon and 5 miles off hyway 64. November of 2012 two low lifes that don't have jobs broke into it by breaking the window in the door, reached in and unlocked the door. They caught them because another property owner had a game camera setup. We got everything back, others didn't. I don't lock the compartments, don't want the doors destroyed if someone tries to get into them.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote