Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2022, 05:53 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Battery blow-up

My Chassis battery blew the top up enough for it to be damaged and left a loft of the internal filling and acid inside the compartment. I have a mobile RV coming Tuesday to replace both batteries (and I guess the wiring depending on the feed back I get here).
It was 105 in Ogallah, NE when we stopped for construction (a long time), running 3 ACs on the generator. I think the chassis batteries might be old. The coach batteries are less than 3.
Then when traffic started my brake would not release and i tried everything, then I realized that the air pressure was 75, holding up traffic for a mile it finally got to 90.
Q1
I think this was when they went, but I got home just fine. Was it the heat and age or did I blow it up somehow?
Q2 should I replace the wiring (definitely replaceing both batteries)?
okdeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Were you completely stopped ? Did you keep the engine idling the entire time, or did you shut it down?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:08 PM   #3

A bad battery will off gas exessive hydrogen gas but it needs a spark to blow. Something set it off.
Get all of the connections removed and cleaned and have the guy check the charging voltages.

Bigger thing is your air system. 90 psi is bare minimum pressure to drive with. It should be sitting between 90 and 120+ psi.

Where did the air pressure go, while sitting in traffic. It should have stayed above 100 PSI.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I was idling the whole time, I had been running for about 3 hours while, so I wanted to cool the engine before just turning it off.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I think mine runs at 100, never had this problem before on the road. When its cold it will do this just before PSI hits 90 and then I let it get to 100, no problems. Wonder if it could be the pressure switch on the dash. But I thought replacing both batteries and the connecting cables is the best thing to do. I have checked the compartment regularly and cleaned up the fluid (in storage now).
Old 07-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Good question where could the pressure go.
I left Custer, SD drove 4-5 hours to Ogallah, NE maybe altitude change and heat, as far as air pressure. Maybe I lost pressure and didn’t notice before I stopped.

Tags
battery