Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Battery compartment coating

My house battery compartment has flaking paint and rust, due to the previous owner not properly caring for the batteries and compartment. I found this: RANDOLPH ACID PROOF BATTERY BOX BLACK PAINT #345 from Aircraft Spruce And was wondering if anyone else had used it, or if there is a better coating for the battery tray and compartment?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #2

Sounds expensive--how about good old pick-up truck bed liner??????/
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
$17 a quart is expensive? I dunno what Rhino Liner costs, but that was my next choice.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #4

Battery Compartment Paint

It says to apply 3 COATS over a base that has been primed, with epoxy paint!

3 coats of paint? Over an epoxy base coat? Figure a day to dry between coats, and your project takes a week. Besides, plenty of good paints, when applied in 3 coats over an epoxy base, should work well. Overkill in my opinion.
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
contact a roofing company and see if you can get a scrap piece of EPDM Rubber Roofing, or find a tear off underway and pick up a section out of the trash.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

Rusty battery area

SJW

Hi

We had a 2007 Phaeton we bought used and had the same problem with the battery compartment.

Full of acid, rust etc. It did have a plastic liner but the acid had gotten under it and it was a mess.

First I tried to neutralize the acid and them flushed that area out and let dry.
I then sprayed the rustoleum rust inhibitor spray paint.
I bought some 3m undercoating spray and coated the effected areas.
I had the local AG Shop at the high school cut me a piece of thin metal to fit the area and then I coated with 3m undercoating. I slid that metal under the plastic battery tray and caulked it real well.

It didn't end there. I found on the internet a place that sold various sizes of battery box's. I bought one that would hold 4 six volt batteries. and bought 2 box's for the cranking batteries.

The box's stopped. the battery acid from leaking out onto the tray.

Hope this helps some.

SJW
2016 Phaeton QBH
2009 Smart For Two
sjw2094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
First neutralize the acid and clean well. Soray paint rust inhibitor. Then get yourself a thin rubber mat.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I plan to do just that. Plenty of baking soda and water, a wire brush, and come Naval Jelly. Then coat it with something that really resists acid. I agree that 3 coats over epoxy primer is kinda wacky.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I have found that rattle can "Undercoating" spray works fine in battery compartment. Touch it every couple yrs. Couple bucks at Wally World.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #10

I've been wanting to clean my battery compartment with water and to do the same thing, but can't find a drain hole. Should there be a drain there?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine has at least a couple of holes. If yours doesn't, should be pretty easy to drill some. Just be sure to coat the bare metal afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
I've been wanting to clean my battery compartment with water and to do the same thing, but can't find a drain hole. Should there be a drain there?
Old 09-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyABus View Post
Mine has at least a couple of holes. If yours doesn't, should be pretty easy to drill some. Just be sure to coat the bare metal afterwards.
Thanks, that is what I'm planning on doing. I don't have a corrosion problem as yet, but just got back from Alaska and my batteries are covered with dust. Cleaned as best I could, but I decided to wait until I could address the drain issue. Do you know if your chassis battery tray has a drain also?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
The tray itself either has a drain hole or it just drains from the seams. Not sure, as I have not taken the batteries out yet. But the floor under it DOES have holes to the ground, for sure.

Tags
battery