Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #1

Battery discharge

I have a new Tiffin Breeze 32, I'm unable to hook up to power at this time, after 2 or 3 days the batteries not have enough power to start the generator or engine, is this normal, does this mean I should start up the generator every other day
Thanks
leeekeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #2

Sort of depends on where you are and what you have on inside the RV. Cold or warm, heat or AC on, electric hot water heater, household refer or gas/electric and on gas or electric, TV use, home entertainment use, etc., etc., etc. How many batteries? We need a lot more specifics before we can give you that type info.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

battery discharge

I have a Breeze 28 that I've used for 11 months. This past month, my house batteries too, would no longer hold a charge. I replaced both and no longer have the issues. NOTE: with discharged house batteries, I was able to start the generator by using the emergency combine batteries switch. Good luck.
johnandanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #4

If you are in the Breeze and using systems, it could be that you are not getting full charges when you run your generator. An hour or tow every few days is probably not near enough. If you can monitor charging current you need to see a marked drop in the current when the batteries are approaching full charge. You can also monitor the stare of charge by letting the batteries sit for a half hour or so (to eliminate the surface charge) and see what your bats read. Should be 12.8V or so. You should rechrge when you get to 12-12.2 volts or you're killing batteries. Do a search for "The 12v side of life" for a good description of what I'm talking about.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
2-3 days is not normal if they were fully charged to begin with. When not actually using the coach, you should use the BDS. However, many coaches still power the safety systems (propane, smoke, C02 detectors) with the batteries disconnected via the BDS. So for extended storage, the batteries must totally disconnected from the coach. With batteries fully charged and disconnected, they can go 3 months before needing a full recharge. Never leave batteries sit in a discharged state very long or they will lose life quickly. Store fully charged.... 12.6 - 12.7 volts.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeekeee View Post
I have a new Tiffin Breeze 32, I'm unable to hook up to power at this time, after 2 or 3 days the batteries not have enough power to start the generator or engine, is this normal, does this mean I should start up the generator every other day
Thanks
You say the coach won't start after 2-3 days. It is not normal for the chassis battery to drain that much in such a short time unless you left something on. Also, running the generator will not charge the chassis battery.

If the coach is in storage, it is also not normal for the house batteries to discharge after 2-3 days unless you forgot to flip the battery disconnect switch. If you're staying in the coach and running things like the water heater, refrigerator, water pump, lights, etc., however, it is likely you will need to run the generator at least once a day for several hours to keep the batteries charged.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

(You say the coach won't start after 2-3 days. It is not normal for the chassis battery to drain that much in such a short time unless you left something on. Also, running the generator will not charge the chassis battery.)

It should charge the chassis battery. Mine has a BIRD.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
(You say the coach won't start after 2-3 days. It is not normal for the chassis battery to drain that much in such a short time unless you left something on. Also, running the generator will not charge the chassis battery.)

It should charge the chassis battery. Mine has a BIRD.
I don't know what a BIRD is. I may be wrong, but I don't think Tiffins have them.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery