Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #1

Battery/electric Slide/inverter/issueHelp

We are traveling in our 2008 Tiffin allegro and the CO2 Detector kept beeping. I read up on it and it looked like it was malfunctioning. When we stopped for the night and plugged in they had 30 and 50 amp. Couldn’t get the 50 to work so plugged into 30 amp and the CO2 detector stopped beeping however next issue.... 4 slides- The 2 hydraulic slides opened. The 2 electric slides would not open. They didn’t make any noise at all or even attempt to open. They are on opposite sides of the coach. Tried again this morning while still plugged in and nothing. Note- Before we left for the trip the rig was plugged into 50 amp service. Slides came in and out no issues. We had the inverter on while driving yesterday and we have a residential refrigerator. Why won’t the slides go out, if the batteries are shot, hooked up electric service shouldn’t they work?
Kimmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just guessing here but maybe because power to the electric slides comes from a busbar or panel powered by the other 110v leg in the 50a service and when you are plugged in your transfer switch has turned off other sources? Did you try unplugging and running off your generator?

I would say none of this is related to your inverter being on during the day. It probably powers a limited number of low-draw appliances and a few outlets but not your electric slides.

Another guess here - your back-up battery in the detector is bad, so it beeps when not plugged in but is powered by 110v when plugged in so it stops beeping. Did it start beeping again after you unplugged? Also not to be too nit-picky or pedantic but it’s a CO detector.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #3

there's a lot of things it could be. i note this is your first post so i am assuming your are new to the rv. i am also assuming you have a 50 amp rv,

what do you mean you couldn't get the 50 amp plugin to work? what worked and what didn't work?

how did you plug your 50 amp cord into a 30 amp pedestal? what type of adapter did you use?

is it only the electric slides that do not work? do all other 120 volt devices (a/c's, fireplace, water heater, refrigerator, microwave, ceiling fans, converter) work?

do you have an EMS system in the shore power path that shows volts and amps used by each leg?

i'm wondering if when plugging into 30 amps you are only getting power to one of the 50 amp power legs?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
there's a lot of things it could be. i note this is your first post so i am assuming your are new to the rv. i am also assuming you have a 50 amp rv,

what do you mean you couldn't get the 50 amp plugin to work? what worked and what didn't work?

how did you plug your 50 amp cord into a 30 amp pedestal? what type of adapter did you use?

i'm wondering if when plugging into 30 amps you are only getting power to one of the 50 amp power legs?
Ditto the above - The first thing to do is check the pedestal breakers and test the power at the 50a source or if you can’t do that, try another pedestal that is known to be working. It sounds like adapting to and using a 30a source will not power the elec. slides. I also suggest you get with someone who understands the electrical system on your coach and get more familiar with it.

Also have you ever operated the slides with just the generator supplying power?
Old 02-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You should check on the condition of your batteries. If your batteries do not have enough voltage your slides may not work. Just a thought.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Usually the electric slides need at least 12 volts, if not they won’t work. It sounds like your batteries are not charging properly or won’t hold a charge. What type of EMS do you have? Some require you to choose what amp the shore power is.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #7

CO2 is bubbles in soda, you either have a CO alarm or a Flamable gas ( propane ) alarm.

The lose of slide power and the alarm going off could, both be from failing batteries. Gasing batteries can set off alarms.

They may have been overcharging, causing the alarm and now out of water and dead.

Check them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
CO2 is bubbles in soda, you either have a CO alarm or a Flamable gas ( propane ) alarm.

The lose of slide power and the alarm going off could, both be from failing batteries. Gasing batteries can set off alarms.

They may have been overcharging, causing the alarm and now out of water and dead.

Check them.
Of the hundreds (or more?) CO alarm activations I responded to over the years, only one was alarming for a reason and that was someone charging their golf cart batteries in their garage with the door to the kitchen open. Other responses included alarm clocks, coffee makers, answering machines, and other household items that beep, but never for CO in a house. Not that it can’t happen, but the percentage of false alarms or activation for other reasons from these things is quite high.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #9

In my 2018 Allegro "Open Road" I have the engine running to operate my one electric slide. I'm not an expert, but that was my instructions when I bought it; so it may be worth a try to run the engine while operating the slides.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I also had a propane leak detector activate once because one of my dogs was sleeping with his butt too close to the detector. So apparently methane will set them off too.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #11

This is our 2nd RV. Never had a problem like this but we do think it is the batteries. The camp ground offered 30 and 50 amp service. When the 50 amp service would not turn on at all we just used the 30. We used the adapter for our coach. The CO detector (sorry I wrote CO2) stopped beeping as soon as we hooked up to electric. We ran our diesel generator all day today while driving and the CO detector never beeped and when we stopped tonight the electric slides worked! So I am assuming that we need to replace the 4 6volt coach batteries?
Kimmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:31 AM   #12

Sounds like it's time to inspect the house batteries for proper electrolyte level and do a load test or specific gravity hydrometer test on them. Either test you can perform without having to lift them out and haul them somewhere for testing. I think my hydrometer was $15, & the load tester $20. Both worth owning IMO. If you buy a hydrometer, select carefully, and take time to learn it's proper use for accurate readings
HPbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #13

Just a question where is the detector located? Ceiling? Then yes it's a carbon monoxide/ smoke detector. Which may need a backup battery replaced. If the beeping culprit is on a wall near the floor then that is an LP detector and yes it will beep if your house batteries are below a certain level. I think your house batteries may be weak because of the other symptoms you mentioned with the slides. Test or have someone test them. Also Tiffin recommends having the engine running when leveling and using the slides, both electric and hydraulic, because of the amp draw.

Tags
battery, electric, inverter, slide