Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
UCBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Bedroom Slide Out Issue '06 Allegro

Have my '06 Allegro setting on the jacks next to the house. Due to the slope of the driveway normally when the coach is level only the passenger side front wheel is off the ground slightly and I have had no problems with running the 2 slides out when I am working on cleaning the interior. As the coach sits now when level all the wheels on the passenger side are off the ground about 2 inches or so and just yesterday I ran the bedroom slide out for the first time since being back from a recent maintenance trip to work in the area and now the slide will not move back into the closed position. I checked the fuse box and found it ok as well as the breaker box circuits. I wonder if there is a lock out on the motors for the slide if the wheels are off the ground or something else is going on. Am confused about what the problem may be. Any suggestions????
UCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,717
On our '05 Allegro Bay, there is an interlock that prevents the slide from operating if the key is in the run position. On 2 occasions, the relay that operates the interlock stuck. You can try turning the key on and off several times to see if the problem clears. If not, you can try tapping on the relay with a screwdriver handle a couple of times. The interlock relays are in the compartment in front of the front tire on the passenger side.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
UCBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Will give it a try.........one thing though is that I tried the front living room slide and it will operate both in and out.......I'm thinking it is the motor(s) for the BR slide since I just had the step motor replaced in May probably due to the amount of use it gets. When boondocking I have noticed that some RV'rs put out their BR slide while parked for the night and mine may have been used this way before I bought it in 2011. Just a thought.
UCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
62Morgan's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 274
Assume your house battery array is up to 12.7 volts?. Agree that relay might be sticking. Also, Look under the bed for possible wiring issues. Phone call to Red Bay service will give you a troubleshooting sequence that you can try. Might try to do a motor "test" with auto battery jumper.

BTW: Totally unsafe situation to have 3 tires off-the-ground! .What are you thinking? Individual wheel ramps can be fabricated from plywood and 2x boards so that your park brakes are holding something more than thin air. Dangerous situate you've made for yourself and others nearby. The entire passenger side has no parking brake securement whatsoever!

\ Please, Get those wheels onto solid bearing, asap.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BCooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,546
I forget is the bedroom slide electric or hydraulic?
If electric. Does it try? We had issues with both a broken bolt and a slide out of kilter 2 desperate times in the living room (drivers side) (no problems kitchen side, hydraulic) Do not remember any bedroom problems.

Edit: father's 06 bus.
__________________
2017 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
62Morgan's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 274
We've already determined that it's an electric motor operator on his '06 Allegro bed assembly.

Here's my check-off:
First requirement : Must have a well-charged battery. A 50-60% charge is just too weak.
Second: Check the linkage mechanism. When wall switch is activated, does the motor shaft rotate? If no, Then, it's either a power interruption or motor failure issue.
Third: test for power to the motor when switch is activated. No juice?-then we have an upstream problem.

You get the idea...
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
BCooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,546
Bad connection also possible. Have had to lay in the bay as father extended and retracted it. Had a large voltage drop due to bad connection.
__________________
2017 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Assume your house battery array is up to 12.7 volts?. Agree that relay might be sticking. Also, Look under the bed for possible wiring issues. Phone call to Red Bay service will give you a troubleshooting sequence that you can try. Might try to do a motor "test" with auto battery jumper.

BTW: Totally unsafe situation to have 3 tires off-the-ground! .What are you thinking? Individual wheel ramps can be fabricated from plywood and 2x boards so that your park brakes are holding something more than thin air. Dangerous situate you've made for yourself and others nearby. The entire passenger side has no parking brake securement whatsoever!

\ Please, Get those wheels onto solid bearing, asap.
Not sure what you mean by the entire passenger side parking brake has no parking brake securement whatsoever. Is the passenger side going somewhere without the driver side ? The driver side rear parking brake is locked down due to lack of air pressure. Plus the 4 jacks that are down with the two on the passenger side having half of the coach weight on them are going to be pretty well pressed into the area under the bus. I do not understand why you think that is a dangerous situation.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
62Morgan's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 274
Most manufacturer pamphlets warn of subjecting the lift rams to undue lateral loads. I can see where you would think it square-n-secure; but hear me out here.

The rig's leveling jacks are designed solely to hold up the rig.[ Not to keep it from moving side to side or front to back.] If you lift one rear wheelset off the ground, then the rig can move forward or back. Lift both sets on one side, with only the vertical jacks left for support, you have a “hinged” static load condition in-lieu-of the former “fixed” condition provided by the second locked wheelset. You now have only one “anchored” point and three spindly pivot points. Lift the second rear wheelset clear of the ground and you have a “card table” susceptible to simple sideways pressure from any direction, to twist everything.

My comment is purely for safety’s sake; not meant in any insulting manner. Any rear wheelset clear of the ground is absolutely unstable, unsafe and could be costly.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Most manufacturer pamphlets warn of subjecting the lift rams to undue lateral loads. I can see where you would think it square-n-secure; but hear me out here.

The rig's leveling jacks are designed solely to hold up the rig.[ Not to keep it from moving side to side or front to back.] If you lift one rear wheelset off the ground, then the rig can move forward or back. Lift both sets on one side, with only the vertical jacks left for support, you have a “hinged” static load condition in-lieu-of the former “fixed” condition provided by the second locked wheelset. You now have only one “anchored” point and three spindly pivot points. Lift the second rear wheelset clear of the ground and you have a “card table” susceptible to simple sideways pressure from any direction, to twist everything.

My comment is purely for safety’s sake; not meant in any insulting manner. Any rear wheelset clear of the ground is absolutely unstable, unsafe and could be costly.
I personally did not see your comment as insulting I asked the question simply to get your point of view on why you felt that was unsafe. I don't always see all sides to a discussion and I like to see the reasoning for different points of view to think about whether I need to change my thinking on how to do things.

as I am sitting here watching this I am watching a Reality show called Mountain Men. One of the participants in the show scares off mountain lions by having his dogs tree them then he climbs up into a tree and pokes them with a stick to scare them off. From Where I am sitting that is dangerous no matter how you look at it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
UCBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Slide Mystery Solved

Thanks to all of you who responded to my problem. First off I replaced both coach batteries with new ones in May this year because they were original ones 7-8 years old and were not holding a charge, and I am on 50amp shore power so I have plenty of power. Secondly, due to the suggestions I received I releveled the coach so that only the passenger side front tire is currently off the ground supported with a chock block as insurance against movement. The jacks are always set down on 12x12 wood block plates I made from treated lumber for stability support. I have to use 2 plates on the right side and one plate on the left side due to the slope of the pavement. Since I have had the coach there has been no problems with the coach sitting this way during storage times. As suggested by 62Morgan the next thing was a call to Red Bay service to get there opinion on the problem. The tech I talked to said to check the motor and wiring under the bed for possible loose connections etc. When I got into the compartment under the bed I checked the wiring and motor, moved the cables around, didn't see anything unusual, turned the ignition on and then tried the switch..."wa lah".. the slide moved in. Gave it 2 tries for insurance. Problem solved!
UCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcat View Post
Thanks to all of you who responded to my problem. First off I replaced both coach batteries with new ones in May this year because they were original ones 7-8 years old and were not holding a charge, and I am on 50amp shore power so I have plenty of power. Secondly, due to the suggestions I received I releveled the coach so that only the passenger side front tire is currently off the ground supported with a chock block as insurance against movement. The jacks are always set down on 12x12 wood block plates I made from treated lumber for stability support. I have to use 2 plates on the right side and one plate on the left side due to the slope of the pavement. Since I have had the coach there has been no problems with the coach sitting this way during storage times. As suggested by 62Morgan the next thing was a call to Red Bay service to get there opinion on the problem. The tech I talked to said to check the motor and wiring under the bed for possible loose connections etc. When I got into the compartment under the bed I checked the wiring and motor, moved the cables around, didn't see anything unusual, turned the ignition on and then tried the switch..."wa lah".. the slide moved in. Gave it 2 tries for insurance. Problem solved!
I hate to rain on a parade but it sounds like you had a loose connection under the bed. When You moved the cables it just made enough connection to work. It has been my experience when that happens it will work just long enough to find a bad opportunity to go out again. You will have the slide open and be wanting to close it to leave somewhere and it will stop again. You might want to look at those connections more closely and see if you have any that need to be tightened. I do not know if they are crimp or how those cables are connected but I would check each individual connection move it around and see if your slide quits working then try to fix that connection.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
UCBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
AN "A tiffin e"

An update to my bedroom slide issue..............and thanks to all who had opinions..... it has been "raining" here in Indiana BUT not "on my parade" as yet. I have run the slide in and out several times and left it out for several hours and it now continues to perform. It is my belief that the whole problem centered upon the fact that the rear tires on that side were initially off the ground and there is some kind of an electrical safety lockout that prevented it from operating UNLESS those wheels were on the ground. Just my theory, and I am confident the problem is resolved at the present time. Again thanks for the suggestions and advice. The experiences of veteran RV'rs on this website is invaluable. Thanks to everyone who responded!!!!
UCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kitchen slide - sink drain slow '11 Phaeton 36QSH jr1 Tiffin Owner's Forum 2 01-21-2015 12:36 PM
hood on '98 allegro does not stay up vschweiger Tiffin Owner's Forum 4 07-15-2013 07:23 PM
Stuck in driveway with slide not coming in '12 Southwind 32VS jay31ss Fleetwood Owner's Forum 12 06-08-2013 10:28 AM
small patch wall rot and floor rot in dining table slide out mjonesjules 5th Wheel Discussion 5 06-06-2013 10:54 AM
Renovation of bedroom floor RMK Tiffin Owner's Forum 2 05-29-2013 11:47 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.