Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 11:01 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best rated Gas Powered Motorhomes

For my current need of a motorhome, Diesel is really overkill, as much as I like the way they are built to last for a very long time.
Now to the point, at this time all I really need is a really well made gas coach in the range of 34 to 38 feet. Lower Mileage, something like 50k to 70k miles or so. Prefer units that were built during 2002 to 2008 because perception of better quality. Size in the range of 32 ft to about 38 feet. We do not to plan to live aboard. I looked a 2000 Monaco Dynasty DP40' but felt it was too much coach for my current needs. Looked at a 2008 gas Itasca 29' and it didn't have enough storage.
So I'm kind of settled on a gas coach 32 to 38 feet, built back during 2002 to 2008 when workmanship and quality was still going strong. I'd like to stay under $50,000 miles and under 70k miles on a coach that has actually been taken care of, receipts for repairs & upgrades have been kept, Coach Manuals are still onboard, the coach has been maintained fully, perhaps even upgraded since it's clearly on older coach.
Can all the wisdom within these walls of IRV2 help me? I test drove a 2000 Monaco Dynasty and loved the quality of the unit. Drove a newer 2008 Itasca 29', was not that impressed with fit and finish. I Would Like to find a Tiffin Allegro Bay to drive to see how its' quality compares to say Fleetwood products (ie Southwind) which in my mind are middle of the road products.
The names I keep being told are the gold standards for well built coaches are Newmar, Tiffin and Monaco. Do these companies make gas coaches that have the high end attributes of the Diesel pusher models in a gas coach application.

Thank you for reading this entirely too long request for your help!https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/more/bow.gif

Bill Dye
Previous 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
Previous 2003 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
Previous 2003 fleetwood American Eagle
billdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 01:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdye View Post
For my current need of a motorhome, Diesel is really overkill, as much as I like the way they are built to last for a very long time.
Now to the point, at this time all I really need is a really well made gas coach in the range of 34 to 38 feet. Lower Mileage, something like 50k to 70k miles or so. Prefer units that were built during 2002 to 2008 because perception of better quality. Size in the range of 32 ft to about 38 feet. We do not to plan to live aboard. I looked a 2000 Monaco Dynasty DP40' but felt it was too much coach for my current needs. Looked at a 2008 gas Itasca 29' and it didn't have enough storage.
So I'm kind of settled on a gas coach 32 to 38 feet, built back during 2002 to 2008 when workmanship and quality was still going strong. I'd like to stay under $50,000 miles and under 70k miles on a coach that has actually been taken care of, receipts for repairs & upgrades have been kept, Coach Manuals are still onboard, the coach has been maintained fully, perhaps even upgraded since it's clearly on older coach.
Can all the wisdom within these walls of IRV2 help me? I test drove a 2000 Monaco Dynasty and loved the quality of the unit. Drove a newer 2008 Itasca 29', was not that impressed with fit and finish. I Would Like to find a Tiffin Allegro Bay to drive to see how its' quality compares to say Fleetwood products (ie Southwind) which in my mind are middle of the road products.
The names I keep being told are the gold standards for well built coaches are Newmar, Tiffin and Monaco. Do these companies make gas coaches that have the high end attributes of the Diesel pusher models in a gas coach application.

Thank you for reading this entirely too long request for your help!https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/more/bow.gif

Bill Dye
Previous 1999 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
Previous 2003 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
Previous 2003 fleetwood American Eagle
With your goal in mind Id look for a Newmar Mountain Aire on a Workhorse chassis. I cant think of any gas class A that coud beat that. I dont know all the years they built them but here’s the 2004
https://newmar.imgix.net/wp-content/...s-a-luxury.pdf
Looks like up to 2007 and at least back to 2002
These gas coaches look to be an identical build to the diesel versions - I dont think you'll find that anywhere else. And big block chevy powered Mountain Aire would have a lot of performance enhancement possibilities. Sounds like a cool idea. Now to find one....
Old 09-17-2021, 02:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Heres an advanced search on RV Trader - 19 Newmars to look at with some very nice coaches in your milage and price ranges. Cool stuff!

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...707-5017413719

This is a good example
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...707-5017413719

Heres anoher 25000 miles very nice condition $35k!
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...ire-5017718335
Brochure
Old 09-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
With your goal in mind Id look for a Newmar Mountain Aire on a Workhorse chassis. I cant think of any gas class A that coud beat that......These gas coaches look to be an identical build to the diesel versions - I dont think you'll find that anywhere else. And big block chevy powered Mountain Aire would have a lot of performance enhancement possibilities. Sounds like a cool idea. Now to find one....
I could not agree MORE !
The MACA floor plans were the top of the line gassers from Newmar. They are well built and very nicely appointed. The earlier year models will be on the WCC W-22 chassis with 8.1L motor and Allison 1000 series 5 speed tranny, pretty much a bullet-proof combo. IF the OP can find a newer model year on the WCC W-24 / 25.5 chassis that would be even better because of the larger GVWR and they will have a 2000 series Allison tranny, most likely with 6 speeds.
IMO, the next best thing to the Newmar MACA would be the Tiffin Allegro BAY coaches, also on WCC chassis, followed by the FLTW Pace Arrow or Southwind. The Monaco /HR coaches were good back then, too, along with National's Dolphin models, but are most of them will be out west with higher mileage because those folks were really active owners.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
With your goal in mind Id look for a Newmar Mountain Aire on a Workhorse chassis. I cant think of any gas class A that coud beat that. I dont know all the years they built them but here’s the 2004
Looks like up to 2007 and at least back to 2002
These gas coaches look to be an identical build to the diesel versions - I dont think you'll find that anywhere else. And big block chevy powered Mountain Aire would have a lot of performance enhancement possibilities. Sounds like a cool idea. Now to find one....
We camped next door to an older Mountain Aire last year. I was shocked to find out it was a gasser. Very nice coach. 2004 and the owner bought it brand new and stored it inside. Looked like a new one.

Tags
gas, motor, motorhome, motorhomes, power