Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #1

Black Tank Clog

I have a 2015 Allegro Red…Guess my black tank has a clog….Will not empty…. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
Farish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 06:57 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farish View Post
I have a 2015 Allegro Red…Guess my black tank has a clog….Will not empty…. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
If you do a search in the block at the top of the page where you see IRV2.com you will get a lot of information on your problem and suggestions on how to clear the clog.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #3

Easiest way I have found is to use the sewer hose. Close the gray water tank valve first...then rotate the sewer hose fitting to near horizontal, then elevate the sewer hose and fill it with water. The water should force any blockage backwards and get it to moving. Then just carefully put the hose end back into the sewer dump. Sometimes hot water will work if cold does not. This only will work if it is a line blockage and not the valve failing to open...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Is it not emptying at all or is the levels indicator just showing it's not empty? If you have a straight drop toilet you can visually look into the tank and tell.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #5

Worst case scenario: disconnect your drain hose from ground, feed a junk garden hose with suicide nozzle attached up towards the opened black tank discharge valve and have somebody turn the water on. It should take only seconds before the pressure breaks the blockage, so you want that second person ready to turn the water off. At the same time, you will need to keep the drain hose elevated enough to feed all the discharge back into the tank so you can close the drain valve and re-connect the hose. Neighbors will really be upset if you screw the last part up!

Bill
03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used one of these once and it worked. They make them in a number of different angles. Nice thing is, it allows you to close the gate valve and flush your hose out if you are not able to open the clog. Obviously you would want to get one that allows the compressed stream of water to go directly towards the gate valve if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blaster.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	346353  
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
If I were you, I would try this method first, assuming you have black & gray water valves just inches from each other and leading to one sewer hose...

- Start out with your gray tank pretty full...over 66%
- Keep your sewer hose connected to the drain, hopefully with a see-through elbow at the end so you can see the color of the wastewater. Make sure the hose has a downward slope to the drain with no sagging along the way.
- Open your black tank valve and keep it open
- Open your gray tank valve fully and keep it open until the sewer hose is full of water. Hopefully the rush of water that occurs when you first opened it will push against the clog in the black water tank to help dislodge it. Once the hose is flooded, close the gray water valve. Now hopefully the water in the hose is acting to suck on the clog in the black tank with a siphoning effect.
- Let the water drain out of the hose and repeat the open/close of the gray tank valve until you can confirm that the black tank is emptying. That confirmation will be either visual through the clear elbow and/or just listening to hear if the black tank is emptying.
- If it appears that there is some black tank flow when you do this but it's still not completely emptied, I'd fill up the gray tank a second time and repeat the process. Actually, don't wait for the gray tank to completely empty - if you don't get a rush of water each time you open the valve, it's not going to accomplish much.
- If successfully emptied, run water through the flush valve to clean as much debris out of the tank as possible.

If this siphoning effort failed, I would try attaching a garden hose to one of these to see if that kind of focused back pressure might chew away at the clog:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rhino-B.../dp/B00T36KRS2
Old 10-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #8

IS the Black Tank Dump Valve actually opening?

When you pull the handle do you get any flow , a trickle or nothing?

Have you had issues dumping previously?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank