Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2023, 04:58 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Black tank sensor won’t go below 33%

Any suggestions or has someone had this issue? We just purchased this 2023 VanLeigh Beacon 5th wheel about a month ago. Went on our first camping trip and have an issue with the black tank. It and the grey tank were up to 66% so we emptied the black tank first, then the grey. Went to the panel and the grey said zero but the black stayed at 33%. We did a tank flush (which we found they had not fastened the water line properly so had to fix that). Emptied again and still at 33%. I may call tech support but thought I would check here first.
TravelWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 07:46 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Typical issue with trailer, rv and boat factory tank level monitors.........sensors get fouled and do not read accurately. Might fill and dump the tank repeatedly until it is clean https://www.rvweb.net/how-to-clean-r...20Necessary%20.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:07 AM   #3

I had the same problem. I tried several different cleaning methods. The one that worked is to partially fill the black tank with water and drive 100 miles. The liquid drained came out brown and the sensors started working again.

I recommend getting a transparent fitting for use with the drain hose. Flush, fill, flush. Repeat until solids stop coming out.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:49 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm going to assume VanLeigh is using the same tank monitoring system as the Tiffin coaches. This would mean there are three sensor 'cubes' (actually rectangles) mounted on the outside of the tanks.

The attached photo of my coach shows these sensors on the right side for the black and fresh tank, and on the left side for the gray tank (three for each tank).

They record the tank levels in 1/3 increments. With your black tank not showing a reading less than 33%, I would suspect the first or lower sensor may be located too close to the bottom of the tank.

I wasn't satisfied with this setup so I installed a SeeLevel system which shows the tank levels in 5% increments (see green sensor on the left of the white tank). I mounted the black and gray sensors on the other side of the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Flush.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	385064  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:03 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Similar to the photo BobGed posted, here's what our Phaeton looked like at the factory. The sensors for the black tank are on the far right side with three sensors that were supposed to be at 1/3, 2/3 and Full positions, the gray tank are on the left and the fresh water tank underneath. Unknown to me at the time, they had installed the 1/3 sensors all the way at the bottom of the tanks and the 2/3 at about halfway as you can see in the photo. No matter how empty the tanks were, they always showed 1/3. I removed and moved the sensors to the red arrowed positions and all was well until I replaced them with a SeeLevel system like Bob. If you can access your tanks, you might check the sensor positions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40IH-TankSensors.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	385066  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:25 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Google up the "Geo Method". It a method to clean the holding tanks. You don't need to use the expensive soap and water softener, the cheap stuff from the Dollar store works just as good.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:24 AM   #7

First I'd check the positions of the tank sensors are set properly and not in wrong location as advised above. Secondly once established all sensors are in the right position for detecting at a Empty, 1/3, 2/3, full assuming that there isn't a bad sensor involved that needs replacement I'd black rinse for a while.

We've had our set up for over 20 years now, and the past handful of years we've found that our 2/3rd sensor can act up even after we've emptied the tanks. To resolve this, a few miles before an enroute to the dump station we top our black tank up to the Full line and let it slosh around like crazy. We also do the grey as well every so often as a precaution, but never had a problem with those sensors, but then tissue doesn't go down there and we always clean our dishes with paper towel of crud before putting in sink. Touch wood this method of filling up and sloshing for a few miles before dumping has always resolved our sensor issue (touch wood!).

If trying these things a handful of times doesn't resolve it, then possibly you have a defunct sensor and I'd get the dealer to replace it and ensure it's working properly asap under warranty.

Happy Travels.
SoonToBeFT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
The more paper you put in there, the more problems with sensors.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:39 PM   #9

Being a 2023 unit, it will have external tank sensors, so disregard al comments made about internal sensors, they just don't apply.

I wasn't 100% happy with how my sensors worked so I removed the internal panels to get to the sensors and found that the double stick tape used wasn't sticking to the tanks real well. I removed all the double stick tape, located the sensors to positions I thought better indicated 1/3, 2/3 and full. Then I put the sensors against the plastic tank and taped them in place with a good quantity and quality of duct tape. The system has worked perfectly ever since.

A question to LtDan or BobGed, You have two sensors on the black tank that are red and yellow. I assume the red one near the top causes the toilets to stop functioning until the tank is emptied. Do you know what the function of the yellow sensor near the center of the tank is?
Old 01-26-2023, 04:57 PM   #10

Being a 2023 unit, it will have external tank sensors, so disregard al comments made about internal sensors, they just don't apply.

I wasn't 100% happy with how my sensors worked so I removed the internal panels to get to the sensors and found that the double stick tape used wasn't sticking to the tanks real well. I removed all the double stick tape, located the sensors to positions I thought better indicated 1/3, 2/3 and full. Then I put the sensors against the plastic tank and taped them in place with a good quantity and quality of duct tape. The system has worked perfectly ever since.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post

A question to LtDan or BobGed, You have two sensors on the black tank that are red and yellow. I assume the red one near the top causes the toilets to stop functioning until the tank is emptied. Do you know what the function of the yellow sensor near the center of the tank is?
Those are for the rear electric toilet. Yellow is the warning zone and, yes you're correct, the red stops the toilet from operating.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone. We will try some things out. I know excess paper is part of the issue and not enough water. We camped with the grandkids that weekend. But we did the tank flush about 3 times and got a lot of paper and the brown stuff to come out. I think we need a few more flushes. Will be going camping in a few weeks and will flush the heck out of it. Will look into all the suggestions and we will see what happens.
TravelWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:32 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I have 2017 Phaeton QBH, have had same problem. After cleaning and first toilet flush, jumps to 68%. My neighbor uses Septic Shock by Instant Power. Got it Home Depot and Lowes. Dump and rinse tank till clear, add a few gls of water to tank, dump approximately 1 cup of Septic Shock to toilet. My gage now reads correctly. If I can figure out to add picture I will.
dtousseau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank