RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #1

Black tank volume readout on Spyder

I am not a fan of the ultrasonic tank sensors. Anyone else having a problem when dumping the black tank and believing what the sensor is telling you.

For example. My black tank is showing 60% full on the screen. I go out and hook up the tank flush and turn it on. I leave the black tank closed and the sensor starts dropping in percentage. I have seen it go all the way down to 15%, still not opening the valve.

So what is the volume now in the tank, it was showing 60% and the blank tank flush is running full on. I do end up pulling the lever and dumping.

Then when trying to fill the tank again to flush I donít trust the gauge. I usually pull the lever opening the valve when it reads around 30-40%.

Like I said, not a fan of the ultrasonics.

2012 Bounder 33C Sold, 2017 SEL Focus
b1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #2

I have a small gallon reader that attaches to my water hose. I use it when flushing the black tank so that I know when Iíve put in at least 40 gallons of water. Usually I refill it to about 35 just to be safe Tiffin says the tank is 40 gallons. I bought this on Amazon. Iím sure you could do a search and find one

Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 AM   #3

Thanks. Great idea!
2012 Bounder 33C Sold, 2017 SEL Focus
Old 03-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Starting in the 2019 Phaetons, Spyder created their own tank sensors that are not like the SeeLevel system. The only way to tell for sure what you have is pull the passenger side panel and take a look. It sounds like the sensor is getting clogged or stuck and the flush system is washing it out. Here is a photo posted on another forum of the new style sensors in a 2019 Phaeton 37BH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensors.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	278935  
'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #5

I had a similar problem with my 2020 Allegro Red. The first time I used the coach I started having a problem with the sink and shower draining slowly. The sensors on the gray water tank were telling me the tank was empty which I knew couldn't be the case since I had been using the sink and shower for days. I pulled the gray valve and sure enough the tank was full. The sensor is still not working. It is on the to do list for warranty work.
skitcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

Why do you turn on the flush system before you drain the tank? The sensor senses a solid liquid on the inside of the plastic tank wall from where sensor is located. I would guess that the flush system is creating an aireiated liquid where the sensor is and provides incorrect readings.
I dump my tank, close the valve and run the flush for 2 min., open the valve, close again and run for 2 min., the second flush ends up as clean as the gray tank water.
I think you are creating your own problems by running the flush system before you dump. Youíre just stirring things up.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #7

I have found the sensors on my 2019 Phaeton to be fairly accurate. Your black tank has two in order to avoid debris issues. That being said, I did have my grey tank sensor fail. It was replaced under warranty, but they are not expensive ($27 from TMH parts). All tanks (except propane) use the same sensor(s)

Info for others following or contributing to this topic; This system is different from any that I have seen before. In 2019 it was used ONLY ON THE PHAETON. I don't know if it was extended to other models in 2020. The sensors can't clog and they are fixed in position. They sense by bouncing signals around the tank. The system is programmed for the dimensions of each individual tank. You can swap the wires for troubleshooting to see if the sensor is working, but the quantity display may not be correct.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I have found the sensors on my 2019 Phaeton to be fairly accurate. Your black tank has two in order to avoid debris issues. That being said, I did have my grey tank sensor fail. It was replaced under warranty, but they are not expensive ($27 from TMH parts). All tanks (except propane) use the same sensor(s)

Info for others following or contributing to this topic; This system is different from any that I have seen before. In 2019 it was used ONLY ON THE PHAETON. I don't know if it was extended to other models in 2020. The sensors can't clog and they are fixed in position. They sense by bouncing signals around the tank. The system is programmed for the dimensions of each individual tank. You can swap the wires for troubleshooting to see if the sensor is working, but the quantity display may not be correct.
Exactly. This is what I am talking about. While in Red Bay I mentioned something about the sensors and they knew there was a problem but no solution. Been waiting on a service bulletin. I was wondering if others were experiencing the same issue? I donít believe the sensor is broken, just not a great application for it.

Tags
black tank, tank