Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2022, 07:44 PM   #1

Bolts Coming Thru Carpet Around Bed

I tried searching, but couldnít find anything. Iíve got 2 or 3 bolts starting to poke thru the carpet at the foot of the bed and on one side of the bed. The carpet is original and needs to be replaced which I plan to do. Anybody got any idea what the bolts might be associated with and what I need to do before I get new carpet? My rig is in my signature.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 08:28 PM   #2

Anybody?
Old 08-08-2022, 08:45 PM   #3

If your going to replace, cut out the carpet around the protruding bolts so you can investigate yourself. That's the only way to find out what's really happening. If the bolts are not loose than you probably have flooring that's buckling.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
They could be bolts that hold an access panel in place. The panel might be access to the engine compartment from the bedroom.
On my MH, the bolts hold a panel in place that provides access to the engine once the "L" shaped panel is removed. There is a velcroed panel in place that covers the vertical part of the "L" panel.

I know the coaches are different, but the idea is perhaps relevant.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzerbiz View Post
If your going to replace, cut out the carpet around the protruding bolts so you can investigate yourself. That's the only way to find out what's really happening. If the bolts are not loose than you probably have flooring that's buckling.
Thanks for the reply buzzerbiz. I was hoping maybe someone has had some experience with this issue. Iím the kind of person that likes to have a clue, if I can, before tearing into something. If I canít, then it is what it is.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
They could be bolts that hold an access panel in place. The panel might be access to the engine compartment from the bedroom.
On my MH, the bolts hold a panel in place that provides access to the engine once the "L" shaped panel is removed. There is a velcroed panel in place that covers the vertical part of the "L" panel.

I know the coaches are different, but the idea is perhaps relevant.
Thanks for the reply rvbiker. My engine is at the other end. Itís a gasser.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
PKI

OP - No clue what you have there. But some generic thoughts.

Bolts - I think of a bolt as a hex head fastener, that a wrench is used to tighten. Surprised to hear that bolts are coming through the floor/carpet, but with no gasser experience, there may be a requirement that I do not understand. My expectation would be that screws would be used in those applications, so the floor could be flat. I would be surprised to find the bolts working through, just as you are.

So, advice .... see what is under that floor? Many gasser owners complain about the gas fill being on the back of the coach. That means the gas tank is likely under the back of the coach. Can see how a gas tank could have bolts attaching straps to the floor to hold it up. Better, however, if the tank was attached to the frame.

Once you know what is under the floor, you can develop a plan to address the issue. Obvious, I know, but unfortunately it's the clue to give you a chance to get the fix right. Think of this as an opportunity to make your coach better. Anyway, a coach of that vintage could likely use a carpet upgrade. A thick carpet pad could be used to hide those bolt heads.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply PKI. Good suggestions!

Tags
carpet