Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Brake Controller Connector Plug

Hi,

Planning a toad braking install on my 2010 Regency GT28DB. The rig has the 7 pin connector at the rear hitch, so I'm assuming the unit is wired for supplemental braking.

Anyone know where at the driver's position that the connector plug for a brake controller is located and how to recognize it?

TIA,
Troy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #2

Troy, your question about your Triple EEE, got posted to the Tiffin M/H forums

Although Triple EEE no longer produces class A M/Homes they are still in buisness, a phone call to the Winkler Manitoba offices may be your fastest way to get info.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stop at a trailer hitch place and let them check the plug. They have an adapter t plug in and see if all of the lights work at the plug. The dinghy will still have to have it's own braking system. What you have so far will only provide lights.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Thx for the responses. Apparently, my OP wasn't clear.

I understand I'll have to install a controller at the coach driver's position along with the rest of the toad braking system. I've had a couple calls with US Gear about that.

Also, I've exchanged email with Triple E customer support, and they've twice sent me electrical schematics.

So, I know the coach is pre-wired for trailer brakes. I'm simply trying to find the plug in the driver's area that you would connect a controller to. I've looked under the dashboard in the area between the steering column and the parking brake pedal and can't find any unoccupied connector plug. I asked Triple E where it was and how to recognize it, and their repsonse was to send me a wiring diagram.

If anyone has toad braking on an E-450 chassis, could you tell me your controller plugs in?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #5

BlieRidger

I suspect you are a savvy guy and just want to find the a
specific connector among bundles of wires under a dash which is usually a busy place for wires.

I have a wire signal tracer that telephone techs use to locate wires. It has a transmitter module that clips to a wire and a receiver unit with a probe. These are readily available online or in stores that supply telephone stuff. I bought mine at Frys near San Diego and have used this in my RV's, house and cars for several years. It is a good investment for anyone who is a bit handy with electrical stuff.

If you have access to a "tracer", you could connect the sender unit at the hitch end and find out the routing and termination of the other end of any wire with the probe. The audio volume heard in the probe will increase as you get closer to the wire.

It seems that you have selected the US Gear brake for your toad. I have not seen one of these in operation but it looks like a great system. One that allows you to apply toad brakes independtly. One might say well why would you want to do that?

Here in my storry that answers the question for me:

I was heading south on I 5 about to get over to the right lane to exit to I90 eastbound when suddenly my toad could be seen in my left rear view mirror and I noticed right away in the monitor that one of the tow bars was off and the car was swinging around behind me at highway speed. Traffic was heavy and it was dark and raining. (imagine that, rain is Seattle), I could see cars behind me holding back as they saw this car wavering about behind this 40ft DP. I had a master brake system wherein when as I appied my air brakes the toad brakes came on. I signaled to exit and applied the brakes and at the same time I put more pressure on the accellerator so the toad was being held back by its brakes as I eased myself into the exit ramp and pulled of without the toad smashing into the RV or crashing into cars in the adjacent lanes.

Having the ability to apply toad brakes sufficient to hold it back from the RV would have been a handy feature to have in that instance, vs riding my RV brakes as I did hence the US gear brake controller would have been great to have.

I have a different rig and setup now where I use a G force activated Ready Brake so I can't do what I did before, but it has made me pay a lot more attention about what PINs I use and monitoring the toad even more. I put a second rear camera so I. Can see the total hitch and give me more 6 o'clock info.

Good luck on your wire search and I hope my anecdotal true story about my "swinging toad" provides supporting testimonial re the selection of a toad brake that can be activated independently in an emergency.

Suggest all RVers consider adding a signal tracer to thier tool kit. I have used mine sooo.many times at home, in the cars and in mine and other peoples RV.

Hope my post helps
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Troy, your question about your Triple EEE, got posted to the Tiffin M/H forums

Although Triple EEE no longer produces class A M/Homes they are still in buisness, a phone call to the Winkler Manitoba offices may be your fastest way to get info.
Duh, I should have posted my question to the Toad forum - I realize now why Skip was wondering why I wound up here.

My excuse is that DW and I have been shopping Allegros, and I just had a brain lapse.

Thx again for the tips.

Tags
brake