Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
If the sale of Tiffin is true . I could be wrong but , No matter when coach was built , you will now have to deal with Thor. Not the previous owner.

It seems like you won't be dealing with Thor Industries, since they don't directly produce any RVs.

Tiffin joins Thor Industries

From the article:

"THOR Industries’ acquisition of Tiffin Motorhomes allows us to continue our long-term growth and enables Bob Tiffin and the Tiffin family to remain in control and involved in our business, running it the way they want to for longer."
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonthan View Post
It seems like you won't be dealing with Thor Industries, since they don't directly produce any RVs.

Tiffin joins Thor Industries

From the article:

"THOR Industries’ acquisition of Tiffin Motorhomes allows us to continue our long-term growth and enables Bob Tiffin and the Tiffin family to remain in control and involved in our business, running it the way they want to for longer."
Thor owns Airstream as well and I have never heard anything negative about Airstream. My guess is Thor having close to 70% market share there will always be many people with an issue. We have a 2021 Aira that has a couple issues. Dealer was fast and able to fix one(with the direction of Thor). The other issue the dealer was not helpful. I contacted Thor customer service and they have been exceptional. Maybe it was the person and I just got lucky. She would get back to me within a couple hours with feedback from their in house techs with troubleshooting and now they are directing the dealer on the fix.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #73

The OP has to be very frustrated and pissed off. After spending lots of money and getting something with numerous problems causing it to be unusable, it's certainly understandable. There is no good excuse for this, but such situations have been told repeatedly on this forum. A new RV should work as expected and not need constant repairs.

People say to buy lightly used and let the original owner go through the hassle of getting all the problems sorted out. That's what we did and we still had problems almost immediately despite having a thorough independent inspection complete with fluid analysis. On our way home a section of our front grill came off while driving 60+ mph on the interstate. Fortunately no other damage from that. Now that we're home our bedroom slide is broken and won't extend. It worked perfectly for the inspectors and for the several day trip home, but less than a week later it's broke.

Why can't all this stuff just work as expected? Why is everything constantly breaking, even when it's brand new?

Tiffin is sending a new grill at no charge, but we'll have to pay a body shop to install.

The OP bought a new rig and even though the problems will likely be fixed under warranty, there's no compensation for loss of use.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #74

After a year of investigation I bought a 2002 Travel Supreme 40' motorhome 6 years ago. I knew I had some upgrading to do, and as owners of RVs know there is no real end to maintenance issues, but everyone I have met who bought new regretted it. First of all, there are many shoddy building processes in an attempt to keep the astonishing prices as low as practical. Secondly because of the warranty terms most are required to deal with their brand's dealers, and while "covered," they seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in one shop or another. For example, after 22 years driving a 1992 Honda Accord when I broke down and got a newer car, it was 1 1/2 model years old but only had 3,800 miles on it - close enough to new, but probably 6-8,000.00 less than new. Find a good solid RV and make your own improvements. Let the manufacturers know we are not going to put up with endless headaches just to buy new.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #75

Tiffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulRVer1 View Post
Hi,

We are new to Tiffin, but not new to RVs. We just paid handsomely for a brand new 2021 Tiffin Allegro Red 38 BA from a local Tiffin dealer. We were told Tiffin was the top of the line in the industry. So far, that is not our experience by a long shot. Our experience is: we have an un-drivable brand new 2021 Tiffin that the Tiffin dealer, now that they have our money, wants nothing to do with. In short, our experience is: upon pickup, the Tiffin dealer didn’t do any of the repairs promised including the fact that they left the front seat broken (no power) after we pointed it out about 5 times; 20 miles out of the lot we started getting alarms of tire inflation on four tire sensors (the other two tire sensors didn’t read at all – with 3,000+ on the odometer that was surely noticed), less than 400 miles the OptiView dash went completely dead (no gauges), etc., etc. Nonetheless, once the Tiffin dealer had the check in hand, everything is now “Freightliner’s” fault – where our BRAND NEW 2021 sits (even though only the Tiffin dealer readily has or can get the cable, display, etc. that could quickly resolve our (latest) issue (and likely knew of the issues before we even bought it). Instead for this last round, Freightliner said the lead time on a cable to fix the display is “40 days”. In the meanwhile, the RV is undrivable. At that, I am not convinced it’s a cable (said to be a Spyder cable).

Is this really the “Tiffin” experience everyone is raving about? We just want the RV that we paid for, not war, and not the blame game. We don't seek advice how to figure out the mis-configured Valor tire system (I already cleared that hurdle), or what wire to check for the display on the G6 Spyder control panel (been there, done that). With ONLY 400 miles driven and the RV being "NEW", why am I having to do any of this? I would have gotten better service from any car company at 1/10 the cost. Any advice on anyone at Tiffin that actually cares – that will actually take ownership to make sure we end up with the drivable Tiffin RV - preferably the high quality Tiffin that we were promised?

Many thanks,
Rick
We bought a new (2019) Tiffin Wayfarer from a Tiffin dealer (Brad Young) near Portland, Oregon two years ago. They failed to do any of the post sale inspections they promised and left us with a list of over 30 different issues to be fixed. I would NEVER do business with them again! Other Tiffin owners have had similar problems, many of which (IMHO) are related to poor QC at the Tiffin plant. That said, I contacted Tiffin and they were very helpful and recommended a repair facility they use in Redding, California called Martin Hveem. Turns out this facility does a lot of work on Bob Tiffin's famous antique car collection. They also do warranty work on all Tiffin motorhomes Wayfarers on up to their largest. Since I live in Medford, Oregon this made it much easier to get this work done and the folks at Martin Hveem's were outstanding and very professional to work with. I would give Mark a call at Martin Hveem's and see if they can help you out.
RogueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #76

Thor told us the same thing: Go to any RV service shop we like and they cover.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #77

I think we have gotten a bit off topic on this thread. The OP is in a bad situation. He didn't do anything wrong. His dealer did. I am sure he will get it fixed but the frustrating loss of use of his new motorhome will sting for awhile. It also looks bad for Tiffin unfortunately, even though they make some fine RVs.

Since the topic has drifted to brands and old vs new, it should probably be moved elsewhere by admin but that is up to them. Since others will read this I will comment on the tangent lines of thinking.

I have owned 3 brand new motorhomes and have been RVing since 1993. I have owned Fleetwood, Winnebago and Thor. I think all were built with about the same quality (no matter what year) but, my experience has been that BY FAR the best customer service I have received was from Thor. You will find legitimate gripes by unhappy customers about every brand or product, including as we see here from Tiffin.

On the other tangent issue I have been reading here of New vs Old. To each his own. There is no right answer. It is what you like that matters, right?

For me, I like the new advanced, efficient engines, transmissions, emissions, electronics and digital advancements of the modern age and I appreciate the new and still like the old. When I go to buy my next car I won't be looking for a pre-2008 model. I want the latest, best technology so I will buy newer. Same with my RVs.
That is just me. I also respect the classics and can see why others find such great satisfaction with their older rigs.

I am hopeful we will hear how the OP got back on the road and enjoyed his beautiful brand new Tiffin just like some of you enjoy your old 2007 models. I also hope we can all see each other at camp and enjoy the neat features of each of our old and new rigs and learn from each other. See you at camp.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #78

Worker care, but right now everyone is swamped with work, especially in the trades
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #79

Call the Tiffin factory and inform them of you problems and your dealer’s inability to help. I’m sure they will be interested in resolving your issues.
SteveW123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #80

Hi, Yes - a bit over 3,000 miles. And we came to the same conclusion - my point exactly. Somebody had to have driven it and seen the issues. We have a lot more facts but prefer not to go into it now.
HopefulRVer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #81

Yes - but having been involved in many deals to buy companies while i was an executive at GE, i can tell you the parent company is interested in profits. Thus, speaking in general from what i have seen: the bought out owner usually has an earn-out with certain contractual obligations to the buyer, sits in the CEO chair based on the agreement to help transition the company smoothly, but has a new boss to answer too complete with profitability expectations which does not always gel well with taking care of customers.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #82

Yes - not the 3000 miles plus+ that the RV had.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #83

Thank you - Bob did politely and directly hear what happened - directly from me. If I heard correctly, if it has to do with "rolling down the road" - it's a Freightliner issue (and at Freightliner the RV still sits. In my opinion, the purchase of Tiffin by Thor has made an impact. I don't doubt the stories i have heard about Tiffin taking care of customers of the past. In our case: That does not seem to address the dealer issues, why were were sold an RV with such issues, the issues themselves, and the fact that our RV still sits at Freightliner.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #84

Call their Legal department!

You need to call their Legal Consumer department and share your experience. This is a Lemon Law or lawsuit favored in your side. Don't play nice guy as you will get taken advantage of. Tell them you will post your experience on every single RV site, social media and hire an attorney for punitive damages if they don't make your RV their priority.
Tell them exactly what you want or else they will have a big lawsuit and their reputation is on the line.
Be firm with them as they are now owned by a crappy company, Thor that bought them out.
Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulRVer1 View Post
Hi,

We are new to Tiffin, but not new to RVs. We just paid handsomely for a brand new 2021 Tiffin Allegro Red 38 BA from a local Tiffin dealer. We were told Tiffin was the top of the line in the industry. So far, that is not our experience by a long shot. Our experience is: we have an un-drivable brand new 2021 Tiffin that the Tiffin dealer, now that they have our money, wants nothing to do with. In short, our experience is: upon pickup, the Tiffin dealer didn’t do any of the repairs promised including the fact that they left the front seat broken (no power) after we pointed it out about 5 times; 20 miles out of the lot we started getting alarms of tire inflation on four tire sensors (the other two tire sensors didn’t read at all – with 3,000+ on the odometer that was surely noticed), less than 400 miles the OptiView dash went completely dead (no gauges), etc., etc. Nonetheless, once the Tiffin dealer had the check in hand, everything is now “Freightliner’s” fault – where our BRAND NEW 2021 sits (even though only the Tiffin dealer readily has or can get the cable, display, etc. that could quickly resolve our (latest) issue (and likely knew of the issues before we even bought it). Instead for this last round, Freightliner said the lead time on a cable to fix the display is “40 days”. In the meanwhile, the RV is undrivable. At that, I am not convinced it’s a cable (said to be a Spyder cable).

Is this really the “Tiffin” experience everyone is raving about? We just want the RV that we paid for, not war, and not the blame game. We don't seek advice how to figure out the mis-configured Valor tire system (I already cleared that hurdle), or what wire to check for the display on the G6 Spyder control panel (been there, done that). With ONLY 400 miles driven and the RV being "NEW", why am I having to do any of this? I would have gotten better service from any car company at 1/10 the cost. Any advice on anyone at Tiffin that actually cares – that will actually take ownership to make sure we end up with the drivable Tiffin RV - preferably the high quality Tiffin that we were promised?

Many thanks,
Rick
asafdari10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin