Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #1

Brand new member and Rv'er with Tiffin Diesel

Hello all, I am in the process of buying a 2001 Allegro 35 Bay diesel pusher woth the 300hp cummings.. The people I am dealing with are the original owners here in Florida and none of the statements she made to me was very surprising, so I wanted to sk you fold here if this is true or if anyone else has the same experience.

She stated she gets 16 to 18 MPG with this rig.. does this sound even possible? I was always under the assupmtion that these got about 8 to 10 mpg..

I did a search for this info but could not find any info, and I am in a real hurry to get this done as the deal seems very good and dont want to miss out. I also want to get a prebuy inspection just for my own satisfaction.. I am very mechanically inclines but have never owned a Rv let alone a diesel before.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance
dxbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best tip I can give is .........Don't be in a hurry!

Mike
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #3

Thanks, I am trying, been looking for some time, and think I found one that is a great deal.. just listed a week ago, and i know it won't last...

I will get a prebuy inspection, of course and just want to get $$ down to hold it if nothing else..

Do diesel's really get 16 mpg?? thanks
dxbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
dxbear, I don;t drive one , but from what I've read 10-11 might be way closer to real life.

Mike
Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #5

No way it's getting 16mpg. Perhaps it has some sort of trip calculator/MPG built in that she's relying on. Here is link to a thread on this forum that has excellent information and a checklist you can use:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f86/used-...ist-75035.html

If you have any questions at all just post them and you'll get LOTS of help from those on here!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #6

Pre-buy inspections central Florida?

Thanks for the info thus far.. I also found her statement quite amazing, I was hoping for 11mpg.. As to the inspection.. I have seen the links to getting a oil sample tested at a lab and the check list.. I can do many of these things, BUT, I would feel better knowing a qulified RV mechanic did this for me so his knowledge can help me avoid missing things I might not fully understand or look for.

With that, i was hoping some one here in this membership might have a good recommendation on such a shop or location in the central Florida area that would do a through top to bottom pre-buy for me as well the oil samples..

I think I have run into a fantastic deal by an original owner, but we always know the old saying, if it sounds to good to be true... well you know..

This 2001 allegro bay pusher diesel single slide 300 hp commins with 52k by the original owner NADA lists anywhere from 58 to 70K.. this onw looks to have been very well cared for all the records, books, and clean from the eye.. they only want 37K!.. really good deal if it checks out.. What do you all think of this >

Dxbear
Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Any diesel MH getting over 12 mpg must have a very strong tail wind indeed. Suggest putting down a payment conditional on inspection by a local Cummins. Call several dealers to inquire about coach inspection. Well worth the extra $$.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Be sure they have the title and are the legal owners. The prices seems real good.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #9

They'll get that kind of mileage going down hill. Tricky part is avoiding going uphill.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #10

My 2010 340hp cummins 36 ft RV gets 10 mpg under ideal circumstances in FL at 55 mph. 9.5 +/- would be more normal. A trip out west and 9 mpg is more realistic.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #11

My 2000 Bay has the 5.9 rear diesel and if I keep it on 65 mph, pulling my Wrangler I can get 7, maybe 8. Without the Jeep 9, on a good day and if I keep my foot out of it.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #12

1st time RV buyer. The wife and I just purchased a new 2010 Tiffen Phaeton (36'). After signing the final sales contract, the sales manager starts offering additional services and protection plans. Such as:

Xtraride Extended Warranty
Tire Protection
Prevent-A-Theft (window etching system)
Magic Start (theft deterrent system)
Maxxgard (paint and fabric protection)

Has anyone used these products or services? If so, was it worth the money.

Thanks
FireCapt911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCapt911 View Post
1st time RV buyer. The wife and I just purchased a new 2010 Tiffen Phaeton (36'). After signing the final sales contract, the sales manager starts offering additional services and protection plans. Such as:

Xtraride Extended Warranty
Tire Protection
Prevent-A-Theft (window etching system)
Magic Start (theft deterrent system)
Maxxgard (paint and fabric protection)

Has anyone used these products or services? If so, was it worth the money.

Thanks
I believe the paint and fabric protection is a waste of money. We had one on a former coach and it was called a five year warranty. Upon reading the fine print one day, we learned that the warranty for paint protection was only in effect if the product was reapplied every 3 months! Might as well just wax the coach. You could apply ScotchGard on any fabric. Never again. Joe
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be buying ANY of those "extras".
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote