Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Breeze Maxforce engine

I read through the Maxforce thread and got mixed thoughts so I am looking for Breeze owners thoughts on the 240 hp v8 (7).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jeeze, don’t do it. PM me for more. I don’t want to product bash in public, but....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #3

Sounds like my experience with the 240 hp Maxxforce 7 is similar to R.Wold. Very glad to have gotten rid of my 2015 Breeze. Others have good experiences, but I did not.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #4

We have the 2011 Breeze 28BR, purchased new 9 years ago, and we love it.

We traded down from a 2007 Allegro Bus 40QSP. The Bus was a good coach, but is more suited to full-timing. We enjoy moving and camping at State and National Parks, not RV “resorts,” and the 28’ lets us do that easily whereas the 40’ Bus precluded us from getting into the more natural campgrounds.

Our 2011 Breeze has the earlier MaxxForce 7 engine - the one prior to the 2010 EPA requirements that seem to have occasionally caused issues in later models. I’ve had zero engine issues and we’re at 40,000+ miles and recently returned from a 10-week trip through Alaska (2018) and a 6-week trip in the Southwest, primarily the National Parks and monuments in Utah (2019).

If you read the Breeze threads in this forum closely, you’ll discover that nearly all the mechanical issues discussed relate not to the 215hp version of the MaxxForce 7 (2007 EPA) that was in the 2011 and 2012 Breezes (the one I have), but to the later 240hp MaxxForce 7 (2010 EPA) engine that was in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 models, after which Tiffin moved to Cummins for the Breeze. But the problems seem to have only affected a minority of Breeze owners. There is a FaceBook Breeze Owners Group that I participate in and monitor and by my count, 7 out of 42 owners of the 240hp MaxxForce (2010 EPA) reported engine issues: 5 regarding the DPF (part of the emission control system); and, 2 regarding the high-pressure fuel system. All but one of these folks still own and love their Breezes; the one who doesn’t have his 28BR any longer traded it for a 2017 Breeze 31BR because he wanted more room.

We tow a 2-door Jeep Wrangler Sahara and have had no problems doing so, even in mountains. A few times on steep grades (15% once), I disconnected the Jeep and had my wife drive it until the grade leveled out, just to be safe. For the most part, I don’t even feel the Jeep back there.

The 2011 (and 2012) Breeze did not have an exhaust brake (our Bus had one, as does the Breeze starting with the 2013 model) and it would have been an improvement, but I haven’t found its absence to be a problem. I downshift early and never let momentum get away from me. Braking, by the way, is terrific.

The Breeze is not a hotrod. I get 10 mpg at 65 mph, towing my Jeep and with the generator running about half the time. It can be slow going up steep grades, but I end up passing most semis going uphill.

When I first took delivery in 2011 (I bought ours new), our Breeze drove horribly, but the problems were immediately identified and it drives fine now. The problem initially was threefold: 1) way out of alignment, front and back; 2) both outer rear rims were out of round and were replaced by Tiffin; and, 3) all six tires were over-inflated at 110 psi - I have since set the front tires at 75 psi and the rear at 70 and the ride is fine.

In anticipation of our trip to Alaska, I added the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and replaced the stock Bilstein shocks with Koni shocks, not because I felt that either of these modifications was necessary, but because I decided to do whatever I could to make the drive to Alaska safer and more comfortable. There is a noticeable positive difference to the ride as a result.

I’ve read some complaints claiming that the Breeze “porpoises” while driving. I have never experienced this, so I suspect it is a problem for the 32’ version, not the 28’. The short wheel base makes for a very tight turning radius that has come in handy on more than one occasion. Previously, my Breeze tended to wander slightly while driving, but no longer since I have installed the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.

Regarding the interior, if you’re a big person, you might have trouble getting around the bed. In later models, Tiffin reoriented the bed 90° to make it more accessible. It hasn’t been an issue for us, however (we're both 63; I’m 6’0” and 180 lbs). The cabinetry, layout, and finish is every bit as good as our Allegro Bus was. And the air bag leveling is terrific. The 28 has only one slide, so we’re set up at our campsite within 15 minutes of arriving.

I have made a few modifications to our coach to make it more livable (we have spent as many as 4 consecutive months in it):
removed the middle TV that was above the dinette (if you need 3 TVs you should be in a stick house, not an RV);
replaced the kitchen sink with a deeper sink and new faucet;
added an extra shelf in the cabinet above the kitchen sink;
added rails around the bedroom valences for extra storage;
added a storage compartment above the drawers that are underneath the bed;
added the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and Koni shocks;
Replaced the original radio with an Apple CarPlay radio so I have navigation on my dash;
added a Scangauge in order to better monitor my engine; and,
replaced my dinette with a new original (the faux leather had started flaking).
My one complaint about the 2011 Breeze 28BR is the retracting entry step. I have had to replace it twice as a result of the clearance being too low.

One last point: you may come across a few negative comments about the Breeze 28 in this forum. If you read these criticisms closely, you will discover that these comments tend to come from people who have formed their opinions from things they’ve heard or read or preconceived notions of what a motorhome should or shouldn’t be, not from the actual experience of owning or driving the 28’ Breeze.

Certainly, the 28 Breeze is not for everyone and while it would be possible to full-time in one - and a few in the FaceBook Group do - I wouldn’t recommend it. But if you’re looking for a quality Class A diesel pusher that can go anywhere in comfort, the early Breeze 28 is as good as it gets.

I would not hesitate to buy the 2011 Breeze 28BR again.
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeze, engine