Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #1

Breeze? RED? RED 340? Tell us what you know!

We are looking into purchasing a 2019-2020 Tiffin short DP and are looking into

RED 33AA
RED 340 33AL
Breeze 33 BR

I'd love it if you could share some of the differences that you are aware of, big, small, obvious, and not so obvious.

I know there's an difference in engines, but what do the differences mean to a layman?

Interior ceiling height is 6" shorter in the Breeze. Is it really noticeable?

Trims between the RED and RED 340 are different, but all that was obvious to me was the recessed, wood trimmed ceiling in the RED. What else is there?

We have no dealers close by, so while we'd prefer to check out the rigs in person and speak with a salesperson, we need to narrow things down before we make the trip. I have a feeling people on here will know more than the salesman, anyway.

Thanks!!
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 03:14 PM   #2

I'm 5'10" and I have no issues with the Breeze interior height, but I have heard that some taller people do. The 33AA is noticeably bigger. We were looking for a smaller DP, if you're not, the 33AA may be better for you.
tcgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #3

Also, the 33AA has a bigger fridge and microwave than the 33BR.
tcgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #4
PKI

We have the 33BR. We specifically wanted the Breeze, because it is not as tall (we still have to watch for low hanging trees), it is not as wide (we like to travel tight and twisty two lanes), and we want to travel as light as possible. In some states heavier or longer require a commercial or special non-commercial license. In CA, they just need to be 40ft or less.

Inside height - I'm 6'4" and do not have a problem. Really like the king bed and do not notice that it is a short king.

The new 2021 Breeze has an on-board washer/dryer - same as RED340 and Red, so no real difference there. Do not want them, so did not check if they are combined or separate stackable units. If that makes a difference for you, check.

The Breeze and RED340 have the 2500 Allison transmission and that results in a 5000 lb towing capacity, except the 2020 RED340 has a 7500lb tow capacity. Allison gave the RED340 Allison 2500 transmission an allowance for a higher tow capacity. However, the 2021 RED340 is on a Freightliner chassis and is down to 5000lbs (change from Powerglide to Freightliner chassis warranty likely the issue). The late model Red has the 3000 Allison and 10,000lb tow capacity. In 2016 and earlier, the RED had the 340 ISB Cummins and 2500 transmission with a 5000lb tow capacity.

The RED340 and the REDs have a solid front axle. The Breeze has an independent front suspension on the powerglide chassis. We really like the IFS and that was one of the reasons for getting a Breeze. Note - the Breeze runs on 265/75R19.5 tires. The Red340 and the RED run on 22" tires. Also, the Breeze has 8 bolt wheels on the front and 10bolt wheels on the rear axle. A bit odd, but it is what it is.

The RED340 is a well appointed vehicle (std W/D, in dash GPS ++) and good value. The RED is a great value full function DP. We are just predisposed to the Breeze.

The Breeze has some not so deep drawers in the master bed room, but the bed is usable without extending the slide. Check the other models for that feature.

Suggest you spend some time with the models. We keep learning about differences every time we read about them in a thread. Try the search box for all three models and check out the Tiffin forum as well.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:34 AM   #5

We have a 2014 34 QFA. It has the 340 hp Diesel engine which has plenty of get up and go for us, even pulling a CRV. However, the limitation I don't like is the Allison 2500 transmission which limits the towing to 5000 lbs. That is the only complaint I have against the RV. The 34 QFA is the forerunner to the 33AA.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #6

We just traded our 34 Red QFA and thought it was really well built and laid out perfectly for our needs. Wished the towing capacity was higher but made due with the 5,000lb rating. The power was good and the ride was also comfortable, till we drove the Bus. Now have a newer Allegro 40 ft bus.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #7

Great Video with comparisons

For anyone else who is looking for the same information, this video has a pretty good comaprison between the 3aa and the 33al.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
PKI

Breeze information.

There is at least one and may be more early production 2020 Breeze coaches with the 5.0L V8 Cummins that were built before the V8 inventory allotment was consumed. The 6.7 ISB 6 came when production restarted later in the build run.

The 2019 and later coaches had the updated steering wheel with controls imbedded on the spokes. The 2020 had the electronic dash with selectable information readouts.

Check into which models have the galley window. It was a popular option and became a standard feature, but as with other options may have been omitted from the build.

For what it's worth, every RV, home, or whatever is a compromise. Figure out what you like, don't like, need, don't need, can afford, do not wish to pay to have, and can not live an RV life without. Then go find it.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post

Check into which models have the galley window. It was a popular option and became a standard feature, but as with other options may have been omitted from the build.

For what it's worth, every RV, home, or whatever is a compromise. Figure out what you like, don't like, need, don't need, can afford, do not wish to pay to have, and can not live an RV life without. Then go find it.
The galley window is what sold us on 2019 or newer. Absolutely love it!

Great advice for RV buying!
Old 02-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #10

two things to consider...
look at basement storage... i think the aa and the red beat the breeze.

also... the wheelbase... our 36la wheelbase is about 2 feet longer than our 32sa the 36 drives significantly better... ii can't confirm it with any tech data, but i think it is the longer wheelbase.

i'd seriously give brownie points to whichever has the longer wheelbase and if you are planning long range trips the additional basement would be helpful.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #11
PKI

Storage and wheelbase

The Breeze has 94 cuft of storage, is 33ft-2"long and has a 202in wheelbase. The 33AA and 33AL are 35ft-2"long and have a 198in wheelbase. The 33AA has 84 cuft of storage and the 33AL has 71 cuft of storage. Data came from the Tiffin web-page specifications.

Worth checking the storage visually for yourself. There may be ways to store some items in one coach model and not another. The frame rail positions do make a difference. Also inspect how the house batteries are mounted. Our 33BR has them on a movable slide. Great for maintenance access. However there is not much space for adding cell capacity. Maybe the same number of taller cells. We have seen a battery install upgrade on a 33AA. Looked to have more space for cells.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:29 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I realize you're asking for comparisons. Looks like several people provided input. I can't really give a comparison, but we have the 340 33AL. It's a 2019 bought new in August of last year. I believe the brochure called it an "entry level" DP. I've had a few issues, but none of them were major and it seems most of them were common to new rigs during the shakeout period. After being invited in to other people's coaches over the last several months, yes, ours is on the entry level side when considering the finer interiors of much more expensive rigs. I know my wife wouldn't mind having the recliner style passenger seat or at least an automatic stairwell cover. We always forget to put the carpeted board over the stairwell until after we are moving. But I feel for the price, it is a great value. We negotiated pretty strongly back in August and got a price 30% below MSRP. I'm not sure if this is awesome, but I've heard of people paying more for the same rig. Looks like they dropped the tow rating to 5,000 lbs. Mine is 7500 lbs. I have to be careful because the Tiffin published GCWR is 2500 lbs. higher than the Allison 2500MH rating on mine. Tiffin says I will be ok as long as I stay at or below their rating, but I will honor Allison's rating. Looks like they may have adjusted for this after my model year. To sum it up, the Red 340 33AL is a great value, but if you're looking for the finer touches and higher end finishes, this coach doesn't have it all. But you'll save BIG money, and you really won't miss anything. We love ours.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #13

I can comment on the Breeze's drive. I used to have an 2015 Open Road 35QBA and the difference in the drive is night and day. In the Breeze I have zero push from tractor trailers and only one minor complaint: when I hit a large bump, I have some minor porpoising, otherwise the Breeze drives like a dream.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #14
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
-- snip -- I have to be careful because the Tiffin published GCWR is 2500 lbs. higher than the Allison 2500MH rating on mine. -- snip --
Suspect that you don't have to be terribly careful. Allison upgraded the capacity to 7500lbs. It was posted on the internet, so it must be true. I don't know, but suspect the change to 5000lbs this year is simply because on the new ones the chassis was replaced with a Freightliner. The warranty most certainly falls under the Freightliner umbrella so betting the Freightliner capacity was just rolled over to the new model. Certainly would not hammer the rig, but betting you got a gift with the powerglide version of the 340.

Tags
breeze