Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Build, PDI, and Delivery of New Tiffin

We're heading to Red Bay this week to watch the build of our new Allegro Bus 40SP with delivery scheduled for the first week in June at Marlin Ingram. This will be our third Tiffin so we've been to Red Bay twice and are familiar with the factory. I've read the previous posts about going through the build process. I really want to avoid as many issues as I can so I'm thinking of keeping a PDI checklist in hand as we go through the build. Comments and suggestions as to a good PDI Checklist would be appreciated. Thanks!
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
HGC

Tiffin build and PDI

We have an Allegro 36LA we ordered and there were significant manufacture and QC problems. The most serious is the lack of proper welding of the coach frame which supports the storage bays, floor and ultimately the walls. Seems that Tiffin welders sometimes don't weld both sides of the vertical pier supports that are welded to the chassis frame. In general the welding,IMHO, is lightweight. Don Boyd even said both sides of those welds must be done. I have spent a few hours marking weld points that must be redone. And Tiffin will only pay for 2hrs labor. I am sure it will take at least 6hrs.If you get to watch the welds, it might be helpful to give the welders a "monetary bonus" to get solid weld joints. If we ever order another Tiffin I will be there and hand each welder a Franklin for a superior not inferior job. Good luck!
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
HGC

build, PDI, delivery

Just to add to my previous reply. Was under our 36LA with a professional welder this morning going over the weld points Tiffin didn't do. He felt that the chassis piering should have two additional points of weld, in otherwords the other side and bottom of each vertical pier.
I only bring this up for your sake to go over each weld for integrity of weld because this is really a PITA and can get worse if they fail. I have seen frames on Phaetons and Buses that have had such bad flex that the doors couldn't close. Again, good luck!
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin