Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bus 45OPP

I thought I would ask you Tiffin experts your thoughts on your RV. We are about ready to pull the trigger and order a 45OPP. We originally ordered our current coach before we were full timers, and now after almost 3 years on the road are looking at the Bus 45OPP and have some questions. Also, I have been to two different dealerships, and the salesperson knew very little about the product. (Typical)

1. I notice that Tiffin includes the In-Motion satellite and prepped for the Winegard Slimline Traveler. Is the Slimline only a dealer installed option?
2. I notice they offer an exterior ladder as an option, I have yet to see one on the lot, and was wondering how it fits with the rear spoiler on the roof line. If it goes over the spoiler, that would add about 6 inches to its height.
3. I see that the read toilet has the 2 electric buttons on the wall, and the toilet in the half bath has a lever. Are they both still macerator type toilets (you would not believe what the salesman told me)?
4. We see that in this model they bolt the dryer directly to the washer, vs. being on its own platform. I have seen it mounted both ways. Do you experience any more vibration from the spin cycle with it mounted this way? (I have had issues on my current coach)
5. When we looked at the display unit, I did not see any type of latch on the refrigerator to keep closed while traveling. Ours has broken twice and now we use a fastener on the handle to keep it shut on the road.
6. We are interested in the theater seats, but from looking at posts on here I see they are not that comfortable. Has anyone replaced the couch and had aftermarket theater seats installed. I know there are a few places in Elkhart that does this.
7. In the 18 models, we see they changed the overhead kitchen cabinets, which the better does not see they are that functional, compared to what they had in 17. Does Tiffin let you change these type of items?
8. The better half likes the navigation unit that is mounted near her seat, but we only saw that on one model. What option gives you that GPS?
9. Does Tiffin give you the option to have the Induction stovetop mounted flush with the surface, vs. being recessed in the countertop?
10. I saw on option of extended cycle batteries, are these just the sealed batteries?
11. Anyone know the option for the Solar panel if it is just to keep the batteries charged or how many watts it is for?
12. Any options that are a good investment or just a waste, let me know your thoughts.
13. In the Red Bay area, are there places that will do aftermarket work; install desk, seats, cabinets, etc….

It seems these days, sales people just do not know their products, especially since they carry such a wide variety on some lots. Even some of the people who has been selling for years, they do not even look what is in the brochure. I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I figured the owners would be the better to ask based on their experience. Right now we are trying to compare all of the storage space both basement and inside to our Tour, it looks like I have to downsize in the basement for sure. Those power slide-out trays will help manage the space I hope. No good place to permanently mount my water softener.

Has anyone heard of what changes might occur on the 19 models?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks
Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
2: It goes over the spoiler onto the roof, but does not add to the height.
3: The rear bath is electric macerator and the half bath is gravity.
5: We do not have a latch and have not had any problem with the doors opening while in motion.
11: The solar panel in ours is not that much... probably just keeps a trickle charge on the batts when parked, not in use and not plugged in.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
1. I notice that Tiffin includes the In-Motion satellite and prepped for the Winegard Slimline Traveler. Is the Slimline only a dealer installed option?

Install is not difficult with the pre-wire. In my sales contract I specified that the dealer would place the antenna on the roof at delivery. I installed it with some screws in the dealer lot during a snow storm. Tonowanda, NY Jan 15th. Did the proper job when we got it home.

2. I notice they offer an exterior ladder as an option, I have yet to see one on the lot, and was wondering how it fits with the rear spoiler on the roof line. If it goes over the spoiler, that would add about 6 inches to its height.

Air conditioner and Travler are controlling.

3. I see that the read toilet has the 2 electric buttons on the wall, and the toilet in the half bath has a lever. Are they both still macerator type toilets (you would not believe what the salesman told me)?

Rear bath- Macerator, front gravity.

4. We see that in this model they bolt the dryer directly to the washer, vs. being on its own platform. I have seen it mounted both ways. Do you experience any more vibration from the spin cycle with it mounted this way? (I have had issues on my current coach)

Don't know

5. When we looked at the display unit, I did not see any type of latch on the refrigerator to keep closed while traveling. Ours has broken twice and now we use a fastener on the handle to keep it shut on the road.

Tiffin latches are pretty good but we add a Velcro strap to the handles. We travel to Alaska often.

6. We are interested in the theater seats, but from looking at posts on here I see they are not that comfortable. Has anyone replaced the couch and had aftermarket theater seats installed. I know there are a few places in Elkhart that does this.

Don't know

7. In the 18 models, we see they changed the overhead kitchen cabinets, which the better does not see they are that functional, compared to what they had in 17. Does Tiffin let you change these type of items?

Don't know

8. The better half likes the navigation unit that is mounted near her seat, but we only saw that on one model. What option gives you that GPS?

Don't know

9. Does Tiffin give you the option to have the Induction stovetop mounted flush with the surface, vs. being recessed in the countertop?

Don't know

10. I saw on option of extended cycle batteries, are these just the sealed batteries?

I think these are AGM's. We use Lifeline AGM's I installed and are well pleased with them

11. Anyone know the option for the Solar panel if it is just to keep the batteries charged or how many watts it is for?

Not worth much in my opinion. Cheap regulator and very light wire. We have 6 135W panels on the roof with a Morningstar regulator. We boondock a lot.

12. Any options that are a good investment or just a waste, let me know your thoughts.

??

13. In the Red Bay area, are there places that will do aftermarket work; install desk, seats, cabinets, etc….

It seems these days, sales people just do not know their products, especially since they carry such a wide variety on some lots. Even some of the people who has been selling for years, they do not even look what is in the brochure. I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I figured the owners would be the better to ask based on their experience. Right now we are trying to compare all of the storage space both basement and inside to our Tour, it looks like I have to downsize in the basement for sure. Those power slide-out trays will help manage the space I hope. No good place to permanently mount my water softener.

If you think getting a competent salesperson is hard, wait till you try dealer maintenance. I do my own work or it goes to Tiffin. My experience (2 brand new Buses) is that I trust 3 places in the US do do my work. (Me, Tiffin and Tucson because I watch.) If you're short of space you might consider eliminating one or both of the basement trays. They lose you a lot of room under there.

Has anyone heard of what changes might occur on the 19 models?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks
Bob
Good luck. We've got 80,000 miles on the 2013 and put 70,000 on the 2008 Bus, so we have a lot of exposure. Of course everyone values different things differently, so consider all comments you get.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Tiffin will sometimes let you change some of the cabinets but it depends on if they still have the structure or support in the walls for the changes.

Yes, maybe. I made a change to mine in the build and another friend had his surface mounted.

We have built 2 Tiffins and we live relatively close to the factory. The best advice is to ask for the changes nicely and in advance of the build. But, the biggest help is to be on site for the build. They start building the cabinets about a week before the date that they give you. As Danny Inman told me, they won't officially make the change but you can request it. If you are there and ask the supervisor on site your chances will be very good in getting what you want.

Safe travels,
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
6. We are interested in the theater seats, but from looking at posts on here I see they are not that comfortable.
1) The Trav'ler is a dealer, technician or self install. It's not a hard job at all.

4) I have no experience with the separate mounting, but have had two dryers and washers mounted together and don't feel there is excessive vibration. There is more from the washer on spin cycle than from the dryer.

5) Tiffin mounts cabinet latches on the top of the refrigerator doors. We have never had an issue with even a heavy freezer drawer coming open.

6) We have the double theater seating and I have found it's much more comfortable than the couch. The triple seat in the 45 Bus might be different. An aftermarket seat might be more comfortable, but keep in mind that a high back will block the window. In our Phaeton that's the emergency exit window.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote