Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #1

Buying a 2011 TIFFIN ALLEGRO RED 38 QBA

Im looking at this used Tiffing dp. Any particular issues I should be on the lookout for? This will be my first diesel and I am not nearly as well informed about them as I am gas.
rvquest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #2

Three things to look for and check that Tiffin has made repairs:

1) Roof rails cracking along the rounded sides of the roof

2) Wet bay wood floor replaced with fiberglass unit.

3) Drivers side front slide floor rotting out underneath at the front corners.

Also be aware that the Winegard RoadTrip dome satellite antenna may not work with DISH Network due to DISH changing transmission coding in 2016.

If the engine and generator have had regular service every 10,000 miles or so they should be fine. Ask for detailed service records. If they don't exist, be very careful, and adjust your offer accordingly. Also check tire dates. Anything over 8 years old ask for new tires or a price adjustment.

MAKE SURE THEY SHOW YOU THAT ALL SYSTEMS AND APPLIANCES ARE IN PROPER WORKING ORDER.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would also suggest a fluid analysis as well. Oil and coolant.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #4

Good idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I would also suggest a fluid analysis as well. Oil and coolant.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #5

Thanks so much! Are those repairs recall items? If they were not done can they be now? If they dont have detailed service records but it checks out with a mechanic how much or a reduction in price is warranted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post

Also be aware that the Winegard RoadTrip dome satellite antenna may not work with DISH Network due to DISH changing transmission coding in 2016.

If the engine and generator have had regular service every 10,000 miles or so they should be fine. Ask for detailed service records. If they don't exist, be very careful, and adjust your offer accordingly. Also check tire dates. Anything over 8 years old ask for new tires or a price adjustment.

MAKE SURE THEY SHOW YOU THAT ALL SYSTEMS AND APPLIANCES ARE IN PROPER WORKING ORDER.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #6

Also, check flooring under black tank. Some earlier units had leaks that rotted the flooring leading to pretty pricey repair costs.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #7

Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Also, check flooring under black tank. Some earlier units had leaks that rotted the flooring leading to pretty pricey repair costs.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #8

The three items I listed WERE all covered under the 8 year structural warranty. Tiffin was covering them on a case by case basis after the warranty, but since the sale to Thor I don't know if that policy is still in place. There are a couple of repair shops around Red Bay that can do the repairs but they will cost many thousands of dollars to complete. Without service records I would reduce any asking price by 10% to 15%.

The black tank issue mentioned is part of the wet bay floor issue.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:

This is all spot on information. As the owner of a 2008< I had the roof rails repaired and the wet bay replacement done at Kimbrough's in Muscle Shoals. They did a great job.

Now, onto the maintenance records thing...make SURE you see records that the coolant was replaced at regular intervals, and have it tested for current additive levels. If they find none, and you see no receipts indicating coolant was serviced regularly - RUN. I learned this lesson the hard way, which cost $50k for an engine replacement at 54k miles.
Striider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #10

So the dealer says that Tiffin records show the rv was inspected in 2014 and the wet bay and roof rails were not affected by those issues. I will independently verify this with Tiffin, but how do I know if the roof rails are ok? The wet bay Im not worried about because I shoudl be able to tell if it is fiberglass or not.

Quote:
The three items I listed WERE all covered under the 8 year structural warranty. Tiffin was covering them on a case by case basis after the warranty, but since the sale to Thor I don't know if that policy is still in place. There are a couple of repair shops around Red Bay that can do the repairs but they will cost many thousands of dollars to complete. Without service records I would reduce any asking price by 10% to 15%.

The black tank issue mentioned is part of the wet bay floor issue.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #11

Can you explain the additive part? We want additive to be in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striider View Post
This is all spot on information. As the owner of a 2008< I had the roof rails repaired and the wet bay replacement done at Kimbrough's in Muscle Shoals. They did a great job.

Now, onto the maintenance records thing...make SURE you see records that the coolant was replaced at regular intervals, and have it tested for current additive levels. If they find none, and you see no receipts indicating coolant was serviced regularly - RUN. I learned this lesson the hard way, which cost $50k for an engine replacement at 54k miles.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #12

First of all thats for the advice so far! Here are some more details:
  • 75000 miles, no past service records
  • Just serviced by dealer - engine, generator, transmission and flushed radiator, brand new tires and batteries
  • Roof and wet bay - Tiffin said these were fine in 2014 (will verify)
  • Slide floor appears to be laminate or composite already
  • 4 year exclusionary aftermarket warranty included covering most everything minus wear and tear items

Price is around 110-115k. Even though this is inflated with the rest of the market it is on the lower end compared to what is out there. My plan would be to have it inspected at a diesel shop and if possible have a fluid analysis.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #13

Sounds like a former member of our camping club that lived in Atlanta area. The main problems he hard were caused by him trying to work on it himself. Best advise I have is take it to either a Cummins service center or a Freightliner service center. One hard to find thing is that the hydraulic fluid container for the slides is behind the hydraulic unit in the bay on driver's side. Good units though.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #14

I think this one was originally owned in FL. Professional service is the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Sounds like a former member of our camping club that lived in Atlanta area. The main problems he hard were caused by him trying to work on it himself. Best advise I have is take it to either a Cummins service center or a Freightliner service center. One hard to find thing is that the hydraulic fluid container for the slides is behind the hydraulic unit in the bay on driver's side. Good units though.

Tags
allegro, buying, tiffin