RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Campground Leveling with a Tag Axle

I have a Allegro Bus 42QRP and am still learning. Recently, I parked at a campground in a back-in space, and the rear needed some additional elevation to properly level.

Now, when given a choice, I understand that you should elevate the front to level out the coach, but in this case (dependent on placement of utilities and site) that was not practical.

So, if I need to put a couple of boards on the ground to raise the rear of the coach, do I need to elevate both the tag axle and the drive axle? If elevating both, that takes a long piece of wood and becomes a storage issue. Do you put the wood under both tires on each side of the drive axle? I have plenty of 2"x 12" - I am curious what i need to cut them to.....

What does everyone recommend or use? Any pictures would be helpful.

pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #2

Doesn't your coach have a built-in leveling system?

Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Given that your tag axle deflates when you are in reverse, put your boards under the drive axle wheels.

For the guy who said - "Just use your levelers" the rear suspension would most likely be off the ground if he did. A major no no with class A coaches.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you read the tire manuals you will see that they show the full tread width of both dual tires need to be fully on blocks.
Also, if the tag isn't supported then that weight is transferred to the duals which may put them over their weight limit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #5

Tires off the ground is not going to effect anything, the levelers will bear the weight and not slide, unless on a mountain slope.

As far as boards to get it close, cut 6" or 8" boards about 24" long.

Don't lay them along the path of travel, lay them crossways in step form and drive up on them. That way they only need to be long enough to support the dual tires.

The tag doesn't really need support.

I picked up a full sheet of 3/4" plywood and cut it up in 8"X24" peices. Then I screwed two peices together for 1 1/2 inch thickness. I use them crossways in the rear duels and long ways in the front. They won't split like standard lumber.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Tires off the ground is not going to effect anything, the levelers will bear the weight and not slide, unless on a mountain slope.

As far as boards to get it close, cut 6" or 8" boards about 24" long.

Don't lay them along the path of travel, lay them crossways in step form and drive up on them. That way they only need to be long enough to support the dual tires.

I picked up a full sheet of 3/4" plywood and cut it up in 8"X24" peices. Then I screwed two peices together for 1 1/2 inch thickness. I use them crossways in the rear duels and long ways in the front. They won't split like standard lumber.
Have you needed more than 1.5"?

I definitely don't want to use the jacks to leave the drive axle off the ground...

Good Suggestion on the wood....Thanks!
Old 06-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Doesn't your coach have a built-in leveling system?
Yep...was referring to when the self-leveling system actually picks up the rear tires off the ground. Definitely something I don't want to do.....
Old 06-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
Have you needed more than 1.5"?

I definitely don't want to use the jacks to leave the drive axle off the ground...

Good Suggestion on the wood....Thanks!
Sure, I have used up to 6 boards to build steps under my tires. 3 for a base, 2 for step 2 and one for the top step.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ours is not a tag.
but for sites that require more than usual rear lift that could cause wheels to be free of the pavement.

i drive the rear tires up on a set of 3" wide blocks/ramps, then i have a set of 3" lightweight blocks for the rear jacks.
then i place a 2" block under front jacks and level, most of the time this provides the added rear lift height and still keeps the wheels firmly on the block/ramp

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #10

The tag suspension is such that it will carry a pre set percentage of the weight at the rear of the coach. Say it is 6,000#. Even if you were to put 6" of blocking under the tag axle, it would raise the wheels, but still only support 6,000# and not raise the coach at all. The purpose of putting blocking under the drive wheels if needed to level the coach is to still have the drive wheels touching something stationary to prevent the coach from rolling because on a DP, the parking brake sets the brakes only on the drive axle. It wouldn't move anyway with the jacks set firmly into place, but if the drive tires are on solid footing, there is less chance for the coach to shift and possibly bend a jack stem.

edit: Keep in mind that with the suspension dumped and the jacks used to level the coach, the only weight on the drive wheels is the weight of the axle/differential and the tires themselves. That's a very small percentage of the total weight on the coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
Yep...was referring to when the self-leveling system actually picks up the rear tires off the ground. Definitely something I don't want to do.....

Nope. I wasn't actually referring to lifting the axles off the ground.

What I was talking about was dumping the air to lower all four corners, and then using the leveling jacks to level things out. There should be at least a few inches of travel in the system before any wheel lifts off the ground, usually enough to get level without going through too many contortions.

Unless, of course, the site is really out of level.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post

Unless, of course, the site is really out of level.
Yep...that's what happened at my last campground. The rear tires were coming off the ground after leveling. Definitely did not make me comfortable, and I had to relocate to another spot.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Tires off the ground is not going to effect anything, the levelers will bear the weight and not slide, unless on a mountain slope.....

I don't know what the big deal is about the rear tires off the ground either. Yes, I know, the emergency brake isn't functioning with the wheels in the air, but if that happens and the jacks are down, I guarantee the RV isn't going anywhere. If you need to raise either axis of the rig higher than the jacks will allow, simply put blocks under the jack feet and you'll get that much more lift. I've been doing this for over 11 years on 2 Allegro Buses, over 180,000 miles and have NEVER had a problem.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I don't know what the big deal is about the rear tires off the ground either. Yes, I know, the emergency brake isn't functioning with the wheels in the air, but if that happens and the jacks are down, I guarantee the RV isn't going anywhere. If you need to raise either axis of the rig higher than the jacks will allow, simply put blocks under the jack feet and you'll get that much more lift. I've been doing this for over 11 years on 2 Allegro Buses, over 180,000 miles and have NEVER had a problem.
Wonder why the manual has a big caution note saying not to do this??

Tags
campground, leveling