Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #1

Can't get off air antennae to work

New to the forum and new to Tiffin. Just purchased a new to us 2009 Allegro 32ba and can't get the off air antenna to work. Turned on the booster had both tvs on air, keep scanning and no stations available. What else should I be doing. Would appreciate any advice.
bruscillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #2

You may need to set both tv's to "antenna" internally (in set up menu) to get the over the air signal.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #3

Bruscillio....I can not vouch for your current antenna unit....Mine did not have the signal pickup to allow for the new channels to be decoded. I had to buy either a new WINEGUARD head unit Winegard Sensar IV Integrated Amp. Replacement Head Only - Winegard RVW-205 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World or I (in my case) bought a $20 flat plate antenna from Walmart and I use that on my TV.
I am offering this to you as another thought...in the path to determining the issue you are troubleshooting. FlatWave Mini Razor-Thin HDTV Digital Indoor Antenna - Walmart.com
Other thoughts... HD Converter ...is it on? If you are using an HD Converter (TV tuned to CH3 or 4)

Selector switch box....Do you have a multi-device selector switch that allows you to choose ANT, VCR, DVD, ACC? Are you choosing the correct selection?

Is the ANT connected to the TV? If you have a TV ant connected directly to TV...Is it connected?
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you sure

If you have a BOMB (box of many buttons) video distributions 'thingie' make sure it's getting 12V. Mine had an inline fuse that was almost impossible to find.

If you have the wall plate booster make sure it has 12V and lights up when you press the button.

Check the connections too. When all else fails try hooking the TV to a length of wire or a metal coat hanger and see if you get anything.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Bruscillio....I can not vouch for your current antenna unit....Mine did not have the signal pickup to allow for the new channels to be decoded.
Gocoffeer
There is no such thing as a "signal pickup to allow for the new channels to be decoded"......(that's nothing but advertizing hype, commonly known in the TV antenna industry as money making bull spit).
My 18 year old batwing antenna works just fine for the new digital TV signals.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Mel: I read that before from you in another post. I am sure you have your resources of information .... but you were not standing next to me when I took my Winegard Ant signal into my new El cheapo walmart TV and it just did not function....but it did when hooked to the decoder box. So I went with the EL Cheapo Walmart bought ant....meant for HD use and WHAM.... she be receiving fine. If we ever find the person on person hand shake feel free to demonstrate how that old Winegard up on the roof still has a useful life ....would love to make use of its features.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Using over the air antenna:
IF your RV has a wall plate with 12 volt outlet, switch, led, and antenna connection LED MUST BE ON
If you have a Winegard Sensar Pro. turn it on and make sure information is displayed on the displays. Does not matter which display mode is, so long as the displays are displaying, they will turn off after inactivity this is ok too.

If you have a BOMB (Box of many buttons) POWER must be turned ON and ANT must be selected for TV you are using, Make it easy, select for all TVs

TV must be a modern ATSC digital wide screen or have a digital adapter "In front" of it (In the antenna lead) Will assume modern tv

MENU, set up, and signal source is ANTENNA
Channel Scan (Automatic)

Once you find a station turn the antenna 1/4 turn and re-scan
Do this 2 more times

Note results all 4 quarters and pick best one,, Pick a station and peak it (Weakest as indicated on the digital station signal meter on the TV)

Assumign adapter.. Turn it on make sure it is feeding tv (Usually chan 3 or 4) and choose menu, proceed as above.

Possible upgrades to original batwing Sensar II or III

Add Wingman (Impoves UHF performance)

Add Sensar Pro (Improves ALL performance)

MOVE to a stronger station band.. I hae one park where I stay where reception is next to impossible and I'm about to design improvements.. but then, I have teh software to do that.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Mel: I read that before from you in another post. I am sure you have your resources of information .... but you were not standing next to me when I took my Winegard Ant signal into my new El cheapo walmart TV and it just did not function....but it did when hooked to the decoder box. So I went with the EL Cheapo Walmart bought ant....meant for HD use and WHAM.... she be receiving fine. If we ever find the person on person hand shake feel free to demonstrate how that old Winegard up on the roof still has a useful life ....would love to make use of its features.
Gocoffeer
I have no particular "resources of information", only the knowledge that my 18 year old original Winegard batwing antenna worked for receiving digital channels after the switch from analog.... (and that it works slightly better since I added a $20 Winegard Wingman): Amazon.com: Winegard RV-WING Wingman White UHF Booster TV Antenna: Automotive

However, the TV itself must be a "digital TV", (OR a "decoder box" must be used with any old "analog TV set").
Perhaps you mean a "decoder box" must be used with your TV?

BTW, I recently replaced the original Winegard amplifier with a Winegard "SensarPro signal meter with adjustable amp": SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter, which has improved my antenna aiming.... (and the long distant TV reception).

If you simply connect your original batwing to a "digital TV", (through the original amp), I'm sure it will also work fine for receiving the new digital stations/signals.....(I doubt that a demonstration would help).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Antenna design

Antenna design hasn't changed in a long time. The old batwings were designed to receive any analog signal in the VHF/UHF spectrum.

Guess what? That spectrum was partitioned and subdivided by the FCC and the digital channels are still within the old spectrum. It's a different kind of signal living within the same old space.

My batwing works just fine for digital TV, as does every other batwing I've seen hooked up to a digital TV.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #10

I don't have a multi-switch. I do have an A-B switch which I am not sure what it does. I have tried the A-B switch back and forth with no results. I do see the booster switch on. I have tried the off air channel search on both tvs several times with no results. Is there a fuse for the off air antenna? I was told by the previous owner that the antenna works. I have the mini dome with Direct Tv access, so the only way I can get HD is off air right now. Can't afford the Travelr right now.

Bob
bruscillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
I am offering this to you as another thought...in the path to determining the issue you are troubleshooting. FlatWave Mini Razor-Thin HDTV Digital Indoor Antenna - Walmart.com
FWIW: I just bought the amplified version of this antenna (refurbished) for $20 with free shipping and they've re-listed it at 1sale.com

They are a little slow in processing orders but you can't beat the price. They claim it retails for $99 but WalMart sells it for $60. It came in today but I haven't tested it yet.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #12

Bob... when I was fumbling thru the minor troubleshooting that took place to determine why I had no ant signal...I went thru the wires and eliminated all the parts that lay between my antenna and TV (Old CRT type TV requires decoder box) ... when I determined that my roof mounted TV failed to work on my current new TV but would still work on my old CRT TV ... I replaced it with a cheap Walmart type antenna and tested it before install. It worked great...I found a place to mount it where it would be hidden....and it is functioning fine. So involved in troubleshooting is making the problem small (eliminate all hardware that is between the source and endpoint that is not necessary to test the outcome). Make your troubleshoot simple and verify the test with known good parts if needed.

Tags
antenna