Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #29

A couple of months ago I was having Sumo Springs installed on my 2012 F53 and had to leave it overnite at the shop. The next morning I got the call that the cat was stolen. Since the coach has over 110,000 miles on it I opted for an aftermarket unit @$900 since the OEM was backordered several months. I paid the $500 deductible but was able to work out a nice deal for 6 new Toyo's with zero charge for installation and balancing.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #30

After reading about all of the cats being stolen from vehicles lately I did this to mine just last week. I used a Harbor Freight engraver I had and etched the words STOLEN FROM and the VIN on the cat, taped over that and spray painted the entire cat with red header paint. I know it will not stop anyone from cutting it out, but is some meth head going to spend the time sanding off the VIN and all that paint? May cause them to just move on to the next one. Cost about $10 for the paint and there was plenty to do my truck.

AL

Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalytic_Converter.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	361988
Click image for larger version

Name:	High_Temp_Paint.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	361989
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJake View Post
Hmm, will these really be much of a deterrent? If the thieves show up with a saws-all to cut through the pipe, won’t they just chop through the wire as well? It might slow them (down a bit) but not sure it will really stop them. Am I missing something?
Cutting through those cables with a reciprocating saw may be more trouble than you think. They are 'Slack' and the saw blade may just move them back and forth rather than cut them. Nothing is 100% secure, but that cable looks like one of the better ideas to me.
That said, if my converter gets stolen, I contemplate replacing it with a straight pipe.
In PA, vehicles over 9,000 pounds GVWR are not subject to yearly emissions inspection. Last year my motorhome passed inspection with an active check-engine light (misfire due to bad coil pack).

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:59 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Similar issue, but the problem was the storage yard for our RV. Buddy and I park at the same place next to each other. His catalytic converter was one of eight taken during one night. Thieves cam over a 10 foot wall, at least three of them. Storage yard has security cameras and a resident living onsite, house overlooking the yard. Cameras caught the thieves, but they nothing to alert anyone that someone is there. Crazy. Insurance covered the repair (zero deductible with comprehensive insurance) and used an aftermarket converter because Ford had nothing available. Again, if this concerns you, you should check with your storage yard. I thought the whole idea of having cameras was to alert someone, very disappointed.
greyeagleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfine View Post
@vsheetz - Drivable could have happen, maybe, I don't know. But, I chose not to. Didn't need to because tow company was handy. Might have been a different story had I been in some remote place with family, but that was not the case. I will get refunded on all costs - either from Vogt or my insurance company. My first concerned was with speed of removal and quality of tow, costs did not factor in. Additionally, since the relationship at Vogt was soon to become a hostile/adversarial one, I wanted our unit off their lot.

I do not have roadside assistance , never have - I believe it's a scam (personal opinion, your mileage may vary). You are always at the mercy of the ERS company, and their motivation is controlling costs, while my interest is timely response and quality of service. Same applies with the high pressure extended warranty sales pitches every time you purchase a new vehicle. No matter what it is, if I can't afford to repair it, I don't buy it.

Breakdown on tow charges: $250 hookup fee, $100 special equipment fee (had to drop the driveshaft), and $250 mileage charge. On top of the $600 fee, I gave the driver a $100 tip because he went far beyond what was necessary to take extra special care of our brand new coach. Great service commands a reward.

My post was meant as an FYI to all that leave their coach at the service center for repairs - understand who assume responsibility for losses, especially vandalism.

Some may chose to take their motorhome home with them or wherever they park or store it, others may not have a choice. A quick count of units onsite at the Vogt Service Center indicates more than 75 of our fellow RV owners either chose to leave their motorhome onsite for repairs, or did so because they had no choice.

As mentioned, if you leave your unit with someone else, best to understand who does or doesn't assume responsibility for losses, especially vandalism

Generally speaking, the repairs facility assumes no responsibility for theft or damage. If you look at your service form, it probably states that somewhere. Your insurance will fix your rig and will probably subrogate against Vogt. I’m curious as to why Vogt didn’t just order a Cat and fix it for you and why did you have to pay for towing, are you telling us you don’t have a tow service, like Coach-net or Goodsam? Cat thefts are a ever growing police problem and it would behove you and everyone who reads this, to install a anti-theft device or other counter measure.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #34

This has to be one of the saddest RV stories I've heard this year. I just drove my RV past a hundred billboards advertising personal injury attorneys. Seems like the lot has cost you injury. Maybe you can call one of them.

It will turn out better once you're on the road soaking up some peace and quiet.

Mike
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:12 PM   #35

This has to be one of the saddest RV stories I've heard this year. I just drove my RV past a hundred billboards advertising personal injury attorneys. Seems like the lot has cost you injury. Maybe you can call one of them.

It will turn out better once you're on the road soaking up some peace and quiet but errrr.

Mike
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #36

Suggest you check to see if your state has a garage keepers liability statute. We have one in Michigan that places liability for damages that happen while a vehicle is in the possession of a service garage directly on the service garage.
Patty1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #37

cat convertor

You could have had a piece of pipe installed as an emergency so you could drive the motor home for repairs.As far as the repair shop I would let the world know about its misgivings.If they advertise somewhere put an add with it.
DWIGHTMOXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=rlfine.

I do not have roadside assistance , never have - I believe it's a scam (personal opinion, your mileage may vary).
[/QUOTE]

Just a question does Tiffin not include a free year of Roadside assistance with new units?
MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:42 PM   #39

Me to

I had my catalytic converter stolen on my class C Entegra. The storage lot was lighted, gated and had security cameras. They did get the thieves. To prevent this from happening again I installed “Cats Eye” alarm and so far so good. I did mount the siren under the RV and I can assure you that no one could stand that sound.
garyfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:45 PM   #40

Mine is in a storage lot with on-site guard. I painted the Cat with high temp red paint and installed one of these about a foot away from the cat:
CPVAN Motion Sensor Alarm,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK2VRRQ...p_mob_ap_share

125 db alarm which goes off if I just wave my arm near the cat.. No guarantee it will stop theft but it may make them think its not worth the effort and move along to another victim.
Geokenuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #41

I’ve been told that if they try to saw it off, the cable is lose enough so the blade can’t cut it ….at least not easily. The blade will “jump” around too much. They did say that the appropriate wire/bolt cutter may work better, but limited space doesn’t easily accommodate large cutters. If they really wanted it and had enough time I’m sure they could figure a way to remove it. This is a similar concept to the one sold on line for several hundred dollars…..again as a visual deterrent, and trying to make it painful if they insist. $100 investment to possibly save $3k or an insurance claim seems like a no brainer.
vestabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:45 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidref View Post
I dealt with Vogt ONCE.
Never again.
Bought my DP at Vogt.
Sales was easy to deal with. Service is not.
I won't be a repeat customer.
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, cat, converter