Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Cool CB Radio

I have a Cobra 29. It does not work or pick-up receptions in the coach. Someone told me that, that is because there is not enough metal in the coach. What do I need to do to make this thing work? Is there an internal settings that I need to make? I have a 2015 Phaeton. The antenna is on top (a thin wire type). The connection is under the driver's side dashboard. HELP
talberthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same CB radio. It could be that you have the wrong antenna. You need an antenna that does not need a ground plane (that is what they mean with metal)
FireStick makes those antennas, and you can get them through Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/FireStik-FG46...ick+CB+antenna
Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best bet is to get the NGP antenna. Mount it with at least 1/2 the length above the top of the RV. You will need to get the antenna tuned (SWR) to properly work on the RV and not harm the radio.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Best bet is to get the NGP antenna. Mount it with at least 1/2 the length above the top of the RV. You will need to get the antenna tuned (SWR) to properly work on the RV and not harm the radio.

Ken
I have a 3' NGP antenna and have 2' over the top of the RV. That is the way FireStick recommends it, 2/3 of the antenna over the top. They are pretty much pre-tuned, and might only need a little tweaking of the adjustment screw on the top.
My CB radio has a SWR meter build in that makes tuning pretty easy.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

I also have a NGP like most of the truckers have to these days too. Everyone's rig is going fibreglass these days ( trucks and RV's) so NGP is the only way.

BTW....by having my antennae mounted and extending 6" above my roof air conditioners, it's like a curb feeler that there's height restrictions nearby.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I had to use an swr meter to set the cb antenna in my 2016 phaeton to get it to work. Been working fine since then.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I have a 3' NGP antenna and have 2' over the top of the RV. That is the way FireStick recommends it, 2/3 of the antenna over the top. They are pretty much pre-tuned, and might only need a little tweaking of the adjustment screw on the top.
My CB radio has a SWR meter build in that makes tuning pretty easy.
My fire stick was way out on swr. Get a meter and get it set.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I picked up a cobra 29 at a yard sale for $10. It has 23 channels. Tested it in my 2014 Allegro LA36 Open Road which came with CB antenna option and it worked. Listened to a few conversations. While traveling I heard no one. Not sure what happened. It's been 40 some years since I used CB what channels are the most popular now?
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

To the OP I'm close to you when you get your antenna PM me if you need help I have a meter
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Flywithcoop, hope I'm correct but I believe channel 11 & 13 for RVs, channel 19 for truckers.
king yankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio