Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
CB Radio

Our new Phaeton 40AH came with a CB antenna with the coax dropped to the dash panel below the steering wheel. So I've got two questions: How would I install a radio considering I don't see a handy 12V power outlet; and is there any useful radio traffic on CBs any more?
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3811 View Post
Our new Phaeton 40AH came with a CB antenna with the coax dropped to the dash panel below the steering wheel. So I've got two questions: How would I install a radio considering I don't see a handy 12V power outlet; and is there any useful radio traffic on CBs any more?
I used the 12v hot wire and ground in the bundle of wires under the dash that is for a trailer brake controller. If I remember correctly, there are four wires in the bundle; black, red, blue and white. You can use a voltmeter to check, but I think the red is positive and the black is ground. The handiest radio I found is the Cobra all in one with the speaker, mike and controls all in the handset.

There is some traffic on Channel 19 from truckers, but the CB really comes in handy if you are travelling with another RVer or two. We usually run on another channel to avoid the foul language on 19. If we encounter a traffic jam I'll switch to 19 to see what the holdup may be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CobraCB_.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	179070  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:36 AM   #3

Yes , a CB can be a valuable tool. On motorcycles I have used them for traffic jam updates, smoky bears and communication to other drivers. Also when traveling or boon docking without cell service it can get you out of a jam.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My CB has a power plug that goes into the 12vdc outlet in the dash which Used to be called the cigarette lighter outlet.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #5

Learned the lesson, perhaps too late, but manufacturers often wrap/fold the excess coax back on itself with a twist tie for storage. Might be wrong but think that by doing that you will cause a signal "block" which will diminish signal strength to the antenna--or maybe its just another urban legend???????? Lots of conversation on this forum about the usefulness of CBs in the age of cell phones and FS radios. My Cobra collected a lot of dust before I retired it to a box in the barn.......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm still wondering how much information there is on CBs now, being able to monitor the truck conversations might be a good thing in cases of traffic jams or bad weather. Concerning the signal "block" issue, as an Extra Class Ham Radio Operator, I can tell you it's common practice to coil the coax close to your antenna to prevent energy from being reflected back from the antenna if it's not a good antenna match. It doesn't diminish the transmit signal going to the antenna.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hooked up my to cigarette lighter using these connectors https://www.posi-products.com/ that way I don't have to splice the wiring
Old 06-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #8

I have a 2018 34PA, and i cant find my cb antenna coax cable under my dash......

any help?
Happy Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pat View Post
I have a 2018 34PA, and i cant find my cb antenna coax cable under my dash......

any help?
Do you have two antennas on the roof? The AM/FM antenna is on the passenger side and the CB antenna is on the driver's side. I don't think the Allegros come wired for CB unless you special order it.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #10

I installed a modern CB radio in my coach, so far have not used it for CB communication, though one nice bonus feature on mine is emergency weather radio broadcast, which is nice to have when in remote areas where cell phone weather alert apps may not work.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #11

I had a Cobra that would alert from the NWS even when it was shut off. Great security device in a storm, traffic and whatever else.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio