Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

CB Radio wiring.

Do new 2020 bus models come with CB Radio wiring and antenna?

Thanks
Tom M
2020 Bus 45OPP
Bus45OPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus45OPP View Post
Do new 2020 bus models come with CB Radio wiring and antenna?
Thanks Tom M 2020 Bus 45OPP
Yes, all Tiffins Phaeton and above come with a CB antenna and coax wiring. They are not pre wired for the 12v but an easy one to use is the power and ground wires in the trailer controller bundle.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Where does the coax wire terminate? And the wires for the brake controller terminate?
bonds corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
There should be a bundle of wires zip tied together to the left of the steering wheel under the dash. That's where ours always have been. Coax to cb antenna and and pos / neg wires
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've plugged two different working CB radios into the antennae connection and can't get squat for reception on any of the 23 channels. I get the NOAA broadcasts just fine so I know the radio is connected properly. Maybe I need to find a SWR meter.
ValionRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValionRV View Post
I've plugged two different working CB radios into the antennae connection and can't get squat for reception on any of the 23 channels. I get the NOAA broadcasts just fine so I know the radio is connected properly. Maybe I need to find a SWR meter.
The only way to test is to get someone with a CB and transmit to you. There's not a lot of traffic on the CBs, even on the interstate these days. I just moved a CB to my new Jeep and didn't think it was working for the longest until I finally found somebody chatting on Channel 11. The SWR doesn't have anything to do with reception, only transmission.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Yes, all Tiffins Phaeton and above come with a CB antenna and coax wiring. They are not pre wired for the 12v but an easy one to use is the power and ground wires in the trailer controller bundle.
I am looking at a 2011 36’ Phaeton. (As in seriously looking with a deposit down pending test drive and inspection.) It has the radio connector below the dash. Do you know what type of antenna mount they out up top? The reason I am asking is I am a ham operator and would prefer a dual band antenna (2 meter/70 cm). If it is an NMO mount, that is an easy swap out. I appreciate any input.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
I am looking at a 2011 36’ Phaeton. (As in seriously looking with a deposit down pending test drive and inspection.) It has the radio connector below the dash. Do you know what type of antenna mount they out up top? The reason I am asking is I am a ham operator and would prefer a dual band antenna (2 meter/70 cm). If it is an NMO mount, that is an easy swap out. I appreciate any input.
They have a proprietary short whip antenna that is base loaded. It's on a standard spring mount just like any other CB antennas. I will say I put a 2' Firestick on mine at first but it put me up around 14' tall. I wound up having to pull over on the side of the New York I90 turnpike and tie the antenna down. It was hittin every bridge we went under and it sounds like it's tearing the roof off when it slaps back down on it. I went back to the factory antenna and found it works well enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7272_lim.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	274697  

Tags
radio, wiring