Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ceiling Fan - Anyone else have this issue?

I am on the forum quite a bit and don't think I've seen anyone else post about this issue. When we got our coach, a 2014, in 2018, the blades on the fan were hanging down. For a while I would bend them back up but they always came back down. Am I alone on this issue? Included picture but may be hard to see. A couple of the blades are maybe 6-8 inches lower than they should be.

One benefit of it is when I wake up a little groggy, or slow to wake, the fan get's me going immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling Fan.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	310402  
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #2

Are the fan blade mounts drooping or just the blades?

Mounts...loose bolts?
*mounts look like they are drooping....Plastic??

Blades...plastic/heat distorts?
*replace with wood blades
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:16 PM   #3

My opinion: as long as they spin true I wouldn't worry about them. BUT, if it still bothers you you can purchase a set of blades to see if it helps. Short of that you can replace the entire fan.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I had one hanging low in my 2011. Tightening up the blade mount screw fixed that issue.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I should have mentioned the screws are all tight and the issue seems to be with the metal "arms" where the blades attach. Almost like the metal is weak. I can easily bend them back into position but they always bend again.

Going to replace the fan but was just wondering if it was a one off issue or common issue.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #6

I can't imagine a set off arms being so weak that they are bending under the weight of the blades, but stranger things happen. Are you sure the (DW}? isn't dusting the blades and slightly pulling down on them?

If the arms really are as weak as you say, do the blades bend down while the coach sets in storage?

Possibly some ghostly characters riding along with you. Reminds me of another camper story where the people always had a bunch of their closet clothes end up on the floor of the closet. They swore they always hung the on the closet rod. Turned out that the roughness of the road and just the right bounce in the closet rod would detach some of the hangers from the rod.

Is there any chance that the roughness of the road would provide enough bouncing weight of the blades to bend the arms down slightly while you travel?
Old 12-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I should have mentioned the screws are all tight and the issue seems to be with the metal "arms" where the blades attach. Almost like the metal is weak. I can easily bend them back into position but they always bend again.

Going to replace the fan but was just wondering if it was a one off issue or common issue.

Check this page http://abc.eznettools.net/ez-catalog/X325604/12

They have individual blade holders as well as complete fan.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #8

The good news is that the further the blades are from the ceiling, the more air they move.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same issue with our 2019 Bus. After a lot of research and calling Tiffin parts I found out the entire fan only cost 60.00. They are manufactured by Trusty Products in Elkhart Indiana. Same fan they use in the Zephyr is you can believe that!

You can order a new blade kit for your fan and / or order shorter blades.

Our fan did not have enough “pitch” on the blades and barely moved any air. After receiving a new fan kit under warranty still had the same problem?! I ended up bending the brackets slightly for more pitch. Fan moves more air now but not much. If I play with it anymore the blades will hit the slide coming in.

You can contact Trusty Products at (574) 264-4788
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
press the ceiling make sure it is not pulling down that was are issue
Old 12-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlturner View Post
We had the same issue with our 2019 Bus. After a lot of research and calling Tiffin parts I found out the entire fan only cost 60.00. They are manufactured by Trusty Products in Elkhart Indiana. Same fan they use in the Zephyr is you can believe that!

You can order a new blade kit for your fan and / or order shorter blades.

Our fan did not have enough “pitch” on the blades and barely moved any air. After receiving a new fan kit under warranty still had the same problem?! I ended up bending the brackets slightly for more pitch. Fan moves more air now but not much. If I play with it anymore the blades will hit the slide coming in.

You can contact Trusty Products at (574) 264-4788
The problem with these fans is that they are too close to the ceiling and do not get enough air to pull down and out. The remedy is to reverse the fan, blowing air up and into the ceiling. I think you’ll find this works better.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
YC1

Those pieces of Cr... fans are not worth taking home. Have gone through about 5 of them. Yes we full time but even before that our developed a tick tick noise. New motor lasted about 6 months. Installed my own bearings. Lasted a couple of months. It is likely the brushes but finally gave up and bought a 110 volt fan. That thing does a great job.

The Trusty fan moved air and made a believer out of me in ceiling fans in an rv.

I threw away many brand new sets of blades. I used the original ones when messing with the thing. Then they changed models and the old wall control had to be changed. That was an ordeal.

The 110 volt one is not fancy. No remote. Pull the chain to turn it on and push a switch on the side to reverse it. It was very hard to find a real ceiling hugger fan in 110 volts.

If your blades are drooping I suspect the metal is fatigued and you may get a dangerous and nasty surprise when one rips off. Replace them. They are cheap.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #13

Wonder how much they bounce up and down while driving. Probably doesn’t help the situation.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
The problem with these fans is that they are too close to the ceiling and do not get enough air to pull down and out. The remedy is to reverse the fan, blowing air up and into the ceiling. I think you’ll find this works better.

I’ll try that! Thanks [emoji4]
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan