Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #1

Changing Oil

want to change the oil filters, i have oil wrench, anything else i need to know, 400 cummins engine.
sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #2

You'll need a large capacity oil catch, my 425 ISL will drop 6.5 gallons

Then there's the oil filter, when you pull that one down it has 3/4 of a gallon full to the top and weighs a few pounds, have at least a 16" tall bucket under it to drop in.

For the oil filter wrench I used a strap style with a 1/2" ratchet and 6" extension to get it loose

Easy job takes about an hour
Old 10-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as the oil filter, with an oil pan underneath it, punch a hole in the bottom of the filter with a large screw driver. Let it drain, no mess.
Don’t forget to prefill your filters..
Some folks install a Fumoto drain valve , makes draining oil a bit easier when you don’t have a large drain pan.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
As far as the oil filter, with an oil pan underneath it, punch a hole in the bottom of the filter with a large screw driver. Let it drain, no mess.
Don’t forget to prefill your filters..
Some folks install a Fumoto drain valve , makes draining oil a bit easier when you don’t have a large drain pan.

Two observations:

1. Slightly loosen the oil filter BEFORE punching a hole in it. Would hate to see you not be able to get the filter off and have a hole in the old one!

2. Both sides of the "prefill oil filter/don't prefill oil filter" have merit. Have discussed "how clean is oil out of the container" with petroleum engineers. THEIR RECOMMENDATION is "oil is clean, but not guaranteed to always have zero particulates/contaminants.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
wolfe10 said:

"1. Slightly loosen the oil filter BEFORE punching a hole in it. Would hate to see you not be able to get the filter off and have a hole in the old one!"

Amen to that.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #6

I would guess there's a Youtube video that would walk you through it. I'd look at the comments to see if they missed a step, or wrong order. For example on my engine they sometimes change the oil filter after plugging the crank case, which is bad because the oil filter is up top.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Shop towels. Lots and lots of shop towels.

It seems that every time I change oil in anything from the lawn mower to the MH, I manage to have a spill of some sort.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Shop towels. Lots and lots of shop towels.

It seems that every time I change oil in anything from the lawn mower to the MH, I manage to have a spill of some sort.
I would say vinyl gloves, if you can find any with people buying them up for Covid.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Two observations:

1. Slightly loosen the oil filter BEFORE punching a hole in it. Would hate to see you not be able to get the filter off and have a hole in the old one!

2. Both sides of the "prefill oil filter/don't prefill oil filter" have merit. Have discussed "how clean is oil out of the container" with petroleum engineers. THEIR RECOMMENDATION is "oil is clean, but not guaranteed to always have zero particulates/contaminants.

Cummins service manual specifically states to pre-fill the filter with new oil. There is also a warning for not doing this.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #10

Rag tied around your arm to prevent oily arm Pitt.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My ISX takes 14 gallons. Haven't attempted it yet!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:07 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Why not use an oil change pump? I use that on most engines. Allows you to get the oil out in a clean orderly manner without getting underneath - since you can shut off the pump if you need to change the old oil container. Optionally, you can then drain the pan with the drain plug, but I've never gotten much additional oil out via that option.

Filter is still a mess to change.

My pump is from Northern Tool. Has worked well for several years now.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:15 AM   #13

Must Have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01484.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	306259  
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #14

Thoughts: 1- filter can be very tight--I fashioned a wrench out of cargo strap--wont crush the filter; 2- like fuel filter, guess you can try to pour new oil on outside holes of filter--really don't see an issue with pre-filling, always done it, but do put the packing wrapper over open end of new filter until I get it in place to spin on; 3-hard to see "pumping" 7 gals out of dip stick tube, nor does it allow oil pan to drain/flush; 5-what about changing your fuel filter[s]????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote