Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #1

Chassis batteries

I have my 2008 allegro bus on 30 AMP shore power; the house batteries are okay, but after sitting for 4 months, the chassis batteries are dead. I thot the shore power would charge the chassis batteries too?? house batteries 1 year old, and chassis batteries 1 1/2 yrs old. what gives?? also, I should say I have only owned this rig for 1 1/2 yrs and still learning. thanks, John
john foose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by john foose View Post
I have my 2008 allegro bus on 30 AMP shore power; the house batteries are okay, but after sitting for 4 months, the chassis batteries are dead. I thot the shore power would charge the chassis batteries too?? house batteries 1 year old, and chassis batteries 1 1/2 yrs old. what gives?? also, I should say I have only owned this rig for 1 1/2 yrs and still learning. thanks, John
John, mine does the same thing and I have read all about the fix but it surpasses my ability evidently. I will be interested if anyone can dumb it down for me. Some say it is a solenoid under the hood across from the battery under the water tank. Others say it is in the BCC next to the house batteries. If it is, they are hidden deep.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:57 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I doubt if that year coach had any charger for the chassis batteries. In some later years, Tiffin added a trickle charger on a powered outlet to keep them charged. A simple addition is an Amp-L-Start or Trik-L-Start that is installed between the house batteries and the chassis batteries at the boost solenoid to keep the chassis batteries topped off.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #4

Do a search on battery combiners. I've owned three Tiffin motorhomes, two Phaetons and our current 2013 Bus. The invertor/charger does not charge the chassis batteries on older models. Each one needed a separate charging devise for the chassis batteries. Look up "Trick-L- Start", Amp-L-Start, and Magnum SBC (smart battery combiner). They provide 5 amp, 15 amp and 25 amp charge rates respectively. I've used all three on different coaches and they all work.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our 2014 Allegro Bus had the trickle charger. Killed the chassis batteries a few times before I realized it was toast.

Installed Magnum SBC. It died in a few months.

Finally installed a Blue Sea ML-ACR. What can I say - it works! Up to 500A. (I've seen the charger putting out a little over 100A when the batteries are down. )

Search this forum and you will find a lot of very happy owners. Lifetime warranty.
Old 01-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #6

thanks for info, folks. question: what would make batteries run down so badly in the first place. I let the plane sit in the winter that long and battery is still okay. thanks, John
Old 01-29-2022, 05:11 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think the engine computers. I just know mine drain down pretty quickly - unless I use the disconnect switch.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by john foose View Post
thanks for info, folks. question: what would make batteries run down so badly in the first place. I let the plane sit in the winter that long and battery is still okay. thanks, John
The difference is that if it is like the planes I have owned, when you shut the master switch off, it kills all electric circuits. With a motorhome you have to turn off it's master switch separately to kill the power to the electronics of the engine. If fully charged, the chassis batteries will last like your plane does.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I think there is some parasite draw on the chassis batteries when camped vs everything off while in storage.

Adding a Trick-L-Charge or AMP-L-Charge with Lithium batteries as a simple $50-75 fix that will keep your Starting batteries topped and ready to go.

I put one a couple of years ago and my starting batteries are always ready at 13.2V
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:58 PM   #10

Parasitic draw. I installed manual disconnects for both banks and my batteries are fine after a couple months in storage. I have a different rig, but recently had a problem with the starter batteries losing a charge while plugged in. I have something called an echo charger that went bad. The onboard converter charger maintains the house batteries, and the echo charger is supposed to send up to 15 amps to the chassis batteries.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:25 AM   #11

ahhh, thanks for that info. just shut off the chassis master if I am not starting engine for a while. or the trickle charger trick. they are sealed lead acid batteries, and I don't want to keep discharging and charging.... water may evaporate and then batts could get ruined, true??
Old 02-09-2022, 06:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Chassis Batt

My 2007 Allegro Bus has the Battery Minder from the factory. AC Outlet for same is nearby. These are not "chargers" per se, they are maintainers and will cover the battery drain while parked/stored IF you are plugged in to external AC power. Chassis batteries are not charged by your inverter/converter system.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:03 AM   #13

Then I have a question. Are you saying then that the chassis battery is NOT being charged while plugged in or the generator running?? Or do some systems charge and others do not? And, if some systems do charge the chassis batteries and coach batteries, what determines that?? My coach starts every time so far,knock on wood, and I am plugged into 120AC.
Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:36 AM   #14

John. I believe that the propane detector draws from the chassis batteries even with the battery disconnect switch off. At least that was the case with 2006 Bus. I installed an Amp-L-start 4 years ago and even without using the disconnect my chassis batteries are always charged and ready. Easy install if your battery compartment is like mine. Hereís a picture. The middle right thingamajig is the Amp-L-Start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96608AB8-1E7E-48F0-BEF1-C52BEAA6406C.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	356027  
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis, chassis batteries