Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

Check engine light and fault code

I received a check engine light yesterday. Once I arrived at the CG I checked SilverLeaf and got the following:

ENG SPN 06848 16 Unknown Component High Reading 05/29/11 10:54
ENG SPN 24287 31 Unknown Component High Reading 05/29/11 10:10

I called FreightLiner (they provide an emergency 24 /7 service) and his Cummins book did not have any code number that was even similar. He walked me through the engine CPU check diagnostic procedure but the engine CPU did not retain the fault code that caused the check eng light and the two times I have run the engine at idle the fault did not reappear. I have since found out that SilverLeaf uses SAE generic fault codes. I have tried to reach SilverLeaf but they are closed for memorial weekend. We were pulling into our Campground here in Ft Collins, CO when the Chk eng light came on as a traveling stop to the Tetons. But I am reluctant to leave for the mountains if I have potential engine issues. And since the engine CPU did not retain a fault code, SilverLeaf is my only hope. I have searched the internet but have had no luck. Does anyone have access to these SAE codes? Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

About to purchase a silverleaf for our phaeton; it would be greatly appreciated if you could please post about these codes when located. TIA
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #3

We arrived in the Tetons without another chk eng light incident. We did stop at Cheyenne at a FreightLiner dealer to see if he had time to read the fault codes. But it would have been a six hour delay. So I again discussed the issue with the FL help desk and with another dealer located at Rawlings, WY as a backup we cranked up and rolled on.

I discussed the SilverLeaf fault codes (06848 & 24287) with SL and they confirmed they were a spurious message and could not explain it. However at the time of the incident SilverLeaf was operating with an unexplainable noise and so SL felt like that was probably the reason for the spurious codes. In other words, the SL software saw the chk eng incident but its response was corrupted because the software was not operating correctly. SL did site me an example of the difference between how their code and the Cummins code is presented. If the Cummins is 271 the SAE version (Which is what SilverLeak uses) would be 251 2. So if there is a next time (I reinstalled SL to solve the noise problem) I’ll now be able to use the FL dash computer (before I turn off the engine) to see the “ongoing” fault code and then also have that code stored for ready access in SilverLeaf in their SAE format to be used as an aid to try to understand why the chk eng light.. And the FL help desk explained to me that even knowing the code it very often takes some trouble shooting procedures to really determine the root cause of the fault; the code provides a hint but it takes a mechanic to sort it out.

So I’ve learned a lot. And better yet none of this significantly delayed our trip. And yes the Tetons are as magnificent as advertised.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote