Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #1

Checking out a Tiffin 37DB at PPL

Looking at a 2005 37DB workhorse located in Cleburne TX. Coach has a fair amount of miles on it, 87K, and skimpy records which makes me nervous. It is at PPL and despite the fact it has been there for some time in a pretty strong market they are less than useful in filling in the blanks.

Here is the coach:

2005 Allegro Bay By Tiffin 37DB for Sale - A133CL - PPL Motor Homes

This is exactly what we are looking for. Even the linoleum floor is a plus as we will be using it with the family a lot. Problem is I have no idea if the Workhorse had been cared for properly and don't trust them to inspect it.

The first thing that makes me nervous given how popular these Tiffins are is why it didn't sell in the hot Spring market. It was not overpriced IMO.

They did admit it needs new tires immediately and I found a good local source and reasonable price for Michelins, around 3500 installed.

I've talked with a local guy who does RV repairs and he can inspect the coach and systems but admits he can't do much with the chassis. We are 1200 miles away and don't want to drive all that way only to see a project coach.

I've always bought from owners who were as picky as me about maintenance and records. My last ride, a Country Coach, had documentation for everything from day one down to the smallest item.

Have any of you seen this coach? It has been on their Cleburne lot for a few months apparently.
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
Looking at a 2005 37DB workhorse located in Cleburne TX. Coach has a fair amount of miles on it, 87K, and skimpy records which makes me nervous. It is at PPL and despite the fact it has been there for some time in a pretty strong market they are less than useful in filling in the blanks.

Here is the coach:

2005 Allegro Bay By Tiffin 37DB for Sale - A133CL - PPL Motor Homes

This is exactly what we are looking for. Even the linoleum floor is a plus as we will be using it with the family a lot. Problem is I have no idea if the Workhorse had been cared for properly and don't trust them to inspect it.

The first thing that makes me nervous given how popular these Tiffins are is why it didn't sell in the hot Spring market. It was not overpriced IMO.

They did admit it needs new tires immediately and I found a good local source and reasonable price for Michelins, around 3500 installed.

I've talked with a local guy who does RV repairs and he can inspect the coach and systems but admits he can't do much with the chassis. We are 1200 miles away and don't want to drive all that way only to see a project coach.

I've always bought from owners who were as picky as me about maintenance and records. My last ride, a Country Coach, had documentation for everything from day one down to the smallest item.

Have any of you seen this coach? It has been on their Cleburne lot for a few months apparently.
I noticed that 37DB when it was posted.

I bought my 2005 37DB from PPL in New Braunsfel, about a 1 1/2 yrs ago.

I paid $36,500 for mine, it only had 26,000 miles and my tires (TOYOs M154) were made 48th week of 2014, so less than 3 years old. My RV also came with a washer dryer combo, and new LED TVs front and rear.

So in my opinion that 37DB is over priced at least by the price of tires.

Because its been there for a while, I would see if you could negotiate the price of tires.

I would not be concerned with the mileage, the 8.1 is a strong engine and is expected to go 200,000 YMMV

I would ask to see if the Brake recall has been done.

I noticed it also has the 1200 Norcold Fridge, I believe these also had a recall on them as well.

Before I would travel 1200 miles, I would see if at least those things I mentioned were done (recalls) and the price of tires reduce the asking price. If not I wouldn't bother with this RV

Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had our 2006 37DB, 8.1 Vortec, 6 speed Allison, for almost three years and it had 21,400 miles on it when we bought it. We paid about $69,000 for it, excluding taxes. We have no washer and dryer and it had the old style TV's. Camping World replaced the two front tires as part of the price. (They should have replaced all of the tires.)

One thing to look for, and it may be a price negotiating item, is clouded double pane windows.

We have enjoyed ours and it now has about 41,000 mostly trouble free miles.

Good luck.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you're really serious about this coach and you have made contact with a local RV inspector, here is what I would recommend.

Go to JG Lubricants and get sample kits for the following:
  • Engine and generator oils
  • Transmission fluid
  • Engine and generator coolants

Have him take the samples after properly warming each component.

I agree with others that if you're going to pay anywhere near that asking price it should include quality tires of your choice. Just make sure you check the dates. You shouldn't have to settle for anything older than six months.

Best of luck on the outcome.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Airbag suspension on a workhorse chassis, really?

If it needs tires, as you know factor that in. What does nada book price say? I think would try to get the price closer to $30k or low end / below nada low price, whichever is lower.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To avoid quibling over the tire brand and tire price, just allow for them in your offer and out them on yourself. Then you get what you want instead if what the seller wants.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #7

All great comments. I already figured to take care of the tires myself and found a good local place to do it. Basically PPL admitted these tires couldn't even make it back to south Texas.

I agree the Chevy engine and Allison combo is very robust. Exactly why if I have to go back to a gas coach, this is the combo I want.

What concerns me is that they can't seem to provide any information the chassis has been properly serviced. In fact, the sales person I talked with about this coach claims the owner won't provide service receipts because of privacy concerns.

IMO that is pure nonsense, his name and address is on the title they would have to sign over to me. A six year old could figure out how to take receipts and cut the box with the customer information off of them. I think they are trying to hide the lack of records.

This guy didn't even know if the original manuals were with the coach and was apparently too lazy to go look.

Maybe I need to call back and get a different salesperson and see if I end up with someone with a little motivation this time. The guy I talked with, Tom Yancy, is a pleasant person but not very knowledgeable at all. He kept claiming there is only a Dometic recall and had nothing to say after I sent him the links showing full information about the Norcold recall.

At 87K miles, I don't see how this thing could still be on the road without having the brake recall (faulty Bosch calipers) done, do you all?

They also admitted the coach paint and decals are a "little faded." That's not a big issue as subsequently it would be garaged except when being used. We don't expect a new ride for the price but we do expect the chassis has been properly maintained.

Re the comment about the windows. Yes it does apparently have double glazed, were there window problems with these coaches? We went through this with our Country Coach Allure (SeGi windows) but I've never heard of other makes having similar problems.

Yes, I caught the airbag error too and pointed it out to them. It hasn't been corrected.

Looking at the information, what is your opinions on why this coach isn't selling. The linoleum? The mileage? The fact it still has old TVs. The lack of information?

I really appreciate the feedback from you all. This is a really great group!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The windows are an issue. Mine had 3 or 4 clouded windows when we bought it (not too bad) and now it has about twice as many.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #9

What are you doing about the windows, if anything? I would expect RV glass solutions in Phoenix could rebuild them but when I was looking at another Country Coach earlier with this problem, I could not find anyone in Texas doing RV coach glass rebuilds.

Too bad I don't know anyone in that area who could take a quick preliminary look at it. It could be a real deal or it could be a real dud and I'm not keen on driving 1200 miles to find out which one. I've had my brother over in Phoenix check out a couple for me and he saved me flying there. Lot of BS RV ads out there.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We have not dealt with the windows yet. Don't know that I will. It would probably take a week or two of dedicated time plus a large amount of dedicated money.
Only you know if it is worth it to you to go the 1200 miles. I would think there are others that will be coming on the market if you have too many reservations about this one.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
In fact, the sales person I talked with about this coach claims the owner won't provide service receipts because of privacy concerns.

IMO that is pure nonsense, his name and address is on the title they would have to sign over to me. A six year old could figure out how to take receipts and cut the box with the customer information off of them. I think they are trying to hide the lack of records.
Exactly what I ran into when looking at a Monaco. The factory refused for the same "privacy" rule. In fact they couldn't guarantee they would give me the records even if I bought it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2005 37DB does not have double pane windows, not sure if it was an option or not.

I would also not recommend PPLs so called inspection, I believe it was about $400, what a joke.

I had it done, and when I left PPL at the first gas stop checked the fluids etc... well house batteries were low, below the plates, also engine oil level was right at the Add mark.

One other thing to ask, is about the batteries (how old), house and chassis, house has 2 6v batteries.

It has full body paint, so the decal fade that you mentioned must be with the tiffin stickers
Old 05-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #13

I have a 2006 37 DB with a Ford V-10. We love the unit but (there's always a but right) we have an electrical problem that's draining our coach batteries. No one can figure out the electrical problems so make sure you check all of the electrical systems. Our unit only has 18,400 miles on it so it's like a new unit. We also have one window that is fogged up but, as everyone else pointed out that's fairly common. You can also call Wholesale Warranties and they will come do a total check on the RV for you. If you want to proceed with an extended warranty they will also give a good price. Good luck with your decision!!
sindies9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Coach Happy

I have a 2004 Allegro Bay 37DB which I purchased from a private party for $40,000 as the MH had very low miles and in great condition, Had front brakes replaced, installed new tires, had a driver side window replace (fog) and just a few minor things fixed by me and I have never looked back on purchasing this motor home, It has proven to be very reliable and runs great. I tow a 2007 Dodge Dakota truck and the engine and tranny are happy to pull the extra weight without complaint. They say you always get what you pay for and I am happy with what I purchased. May you buy yours with confidence.
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin